Lowering the Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

I'm a New member here but, was going through threads and found this one. Here is some info that might help you guys.

I lowered my '13 Limited several months ago using h&r flex springs and then adjusted the upper control arm bolts. Here are some pics of the bolt you have to loosen up to be able to pull it towards you. It won't move much( a couple of mm but it helps). I also attached a pic of my final numbers after alignment. Notice that the left is still out of specs .22 degree which is fine with me. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Attachments

• image-2704092064.jpg
    image-2704092064.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 2,245
  • image-3874737288.jpg
    image-3874737288.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 2,247
  • image-2427581876.jpg
    image-2427581876.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 2,243
  • image-81538598.jpg
    image-81538598.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 2,251

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the springs from?
ordered them from Vivid Racing 480-966-3040 :thumbsup:

That looks killer, gonna do mine soon. Hows the alignment now? any camber kits needed?
the dealer did the alignment for me , for no extra charge , when they did the install . it's nice to have friends at the stealerships :D

I didn't do any camber kit .

Perfect! Would you happen to have the part # on those H&R's?

You're killing me silverstallion! lol I want to see those explorer sport spring drop specs so I know what to get haha

Although my wallet thanks you because I"m not doing this mod till I find out haha

So these are the explorer spec springs? Drop looks pretty low, almost identical to how the flex springs sit.

Any chance you can get a measurement from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender on the 4 corners on level ground so we can compare to how the flex springs sit?

Thanks, I see Eibach also makes the Flex lowering springs

last I heard they discontinued them?

So these are the explorer spec springs? Drop looks pretty low, almost identical to how the flex springs sit.

Any chance you can get a measurement from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender on the 4 corners on level ground so we can compare to how the flex springs sit?

last I heard they discontinued them?
they are EX spec springs :thumbsup:

I will get the measurements this evening when I get home from work . the parking lot here at work is not even close to being level :D

Looks really good! I love that the H&R takes the rake out of the car. I did this to my Flex and it's a HUGE difference from stock. I also had to readjust my HID's as it was pointing severely upwards after the drop.

Still no wheel pics OP?

Looks really good! I love that the H&R takes the rake out of the car. I did this to my Flex and it's a HUGE difference from stock. I also had to readjust my HID's as it was pointing severely upwards after the drop.

I had the same issue with mine. People kept flashing me........ I realized that this was the problem after driving on a real dark country road and realizing how high they were pointing!

Vivid does not have them and he said H&R does not have any sets in stock. Backordered indefinitely
I think H&R probably made a limited few sets to start to see the demand . talk to Arsha at Vivid and tell him to let you know when H&R gets some more made :thumbsup:

I had to readjust mine also but that only takes a couple of minutes :D

Still no wheel pics OP?
I got my wheels in but I didn't like the milled accents on the inside of the spokes so I have my friends bodyshop doing some covering . they should be done today or tomorrow and then I can take the Ex in so they can do some minor fender work to get all the wheels to fit correctly without rubbing . the fronts should fit fine but the rears will need work because the inner lip on the rear fenders is huge :eek:

here's a pic of the new wheels I have . I will create another thread about them when installed . I wanted something other than the 5 spoke look . the 5 spoke looks great but it seems like everyone started buying the same wheel and I wanted something a little bit different and a little more sporty looking . I rolled these up next to the vehicle the other day and they look outstanding...IMO . I can't wait to actually have them installed :thumbsup:

Attachments

• new wheels.jpg
    new wheels.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,171

sorry for the delayed response but it is 16.5" on all 4 corners with OEM wheels . this is for the H&R Springs for the Explorer :thumbsup:

if someone can chime in on the Flex springs , we can have a good comparison :thumbsup:

sorry for the delayed response but it is 16.5" on all 4 corners with OEM wheels . this is for the H&R Springs for the Explorer :thumbsup:

if someone can chime in on the Flex springs , we can have a good comparison :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'll get some OEM measurements to see how that compares. Definitely interestedto hear someone's measurements with flex springs.

Thanks! I'll get some OEM measurements to see how that compares. Definitely interestedto hear someone's measurements with flex springs.

Harley#356. I have the flex springs on mine and it was 30 5/80 inches from fender to ground when I had the stock 20in rims on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Harley#356. I have the flex springs on mine and it was 30 5/80 inches from fender to ground when I had the stock 20in rims on it
that's some serious exact measurement :D

if you get a chance , measure from center of wheel to fender please :thumbsup:

Back