Maybe our 5R55S tranny woes will be over soon! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maybe our 5R55S tranny woes will be over soon!

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I just discovered this when browsing a Mustang magazine. TCI makes a Super Street Fighter 5R55S tranny for the Mustangs. Aside from ours being 4x4 cases, there shouldn't be any difference internally, so possibly on a "Repair and Return" basis, they should be able to build one up for an Explorer, Ranger, etc.
I tried to contact someone there tonight, but it's too late, so tomorrow morning, I'll get a hold of someone there, and find out for sure if it's a possiblity. They also offer a real mean 2600 stall convertor for the 5R55S.

TCI's stuff has always been totally top-notch, so I'm sure they'd build a nice unit for our vehicles if it turns out to be possible. I'll post any more info that comes along to me as soon as I get it.

Till then, here's some more info on the Mustang's 5R55S:
http://www.tciauto.com/WhatsNew/Files/tcisuperstreetfighterford5r55stransmission.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks E.B....great news!!!!

Yes, I am interested in the 5R55S for my 04 also

I spoke with a rep from TCI today, and he told me that they can do a 4x4 5R55S tranny on a R&R type basis. He wasn't exactly sure about turnaround time, but they could do everything that's done to their RWD tranny in our 4x4 trannies. Price is going to ballpark in the (are you sitting down?) $3000+ range, depending on how wild you want it.

Expensive, but probably worth it, especially if you've got a lot of HP bolted to it.

Dude! That's 10 pages of reading! Can you summarize for the sake of this thread anything that's super important?

How would I know?-I have a 4r70w

just thought I'd share what has already been done-:D

I didn't think the 5r55 "s" were problematic, or as problematic as the "w"'s..
did I miss something on this site?

The 5R55S and 5R55W are the same tranny, except the gear ratios are different.

Are ours geared lower or higher with the "S"? Yours and mine are almost identical, I assume yours is an "S" as well. Seems like several posters here have several which have over 100K on them, I assume the "S" and maybe W's are not quite as grossly probematic (ie: like the Gen. II dodge trannys 98-02)..

I've seen one poster, a techy, put the ratio at roughly 10%... 10% is high by Consumer Reports stds, but the odds are in our favor one should have an S or W that provides several yrs/miles of service if maintained... :scratch:

Back