Merry Christmas need some help

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
So I'm posting this in modified because I'm planning on m5od swapping my 00. Everything seems pretty easy the only problem I'm running into is ecu programming. What ecu's are you able to use. Can you use one's from a ranger sohc or will I just need to grab a vin from a explorer sohc any help would be appreciated. Or if someone could grab a p# that would also be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will needs the ecu, pats module and the programmed key. These all talk to each other to start. It will need to be from a manual explorer or Ranger. Unfortunately the easiest was to obtain this these days is to just buy a entire truck for cheap and part it out.

Your other option is to have some one reprogram the ecu, and remove the auto trans. Technically you could just run it, but you would have a o/d light flashing all the time.

You will needs the ecu, pats module and the programmed key. These all talk to each other to start. It will need to be from a manual explorer or Ranger. Unfortunately the easiest was to obtain this these days is to just buy a entire truck for cheap and part it out.

Your other option is to have some one reprogram the ecu, and remove the auto trans. Technically you could just run it, but you would have a o/d light flashing all the time.
Eh lights about to burn out anyhow with how much it flashes now kk thx

You got it all the way installed? I think the biggest issue using the auto computer is overcoming the neutral Rev limiter. You could always plug in a valve body harness with a few solenoids and a neutral safety switch and set it to D but also bypass the neutral switch so it'll still start. Might just get you by till you get a tune.

You got it all the way installed? I think the biggest issue using the auto computer is overcoming the neutral Rev limiter. You could always plug in a valve body harness with a few solenoids and a neutral safety switch and set it to D but also bypass the neutral switch so it'll still start. Might just get you by till you get a tune.
Oh no I don't even have any parts yet lol. I've started tracking down a couple things but, this was the biggest thing I wanted to know. To get past the neutral and park safety all I'm going to do is jump wires. I'm also if I can't find a ecm is bypass the switch. Also out of curiosity how high is the Rev limit. I've read on the whole bunch of first gen threads is you kinda have to put the stick in neutral to get out. I still haven't decided cause honestly r&r sounds and is a quite a bit cheaper. Also second gen manuals are like hens teeth to find here, but I just honestly miss having a manual.

Do you have the sohc engine?

Do you have the sohc engine?
Yup yup I know makes them even rarer, that's why I maybe looking for a later ranger.

Look on car-part.com $50 plus shipping gets you a 00 manual sohc ecm from en explorer

Could anyone get me the part number from one of these need it to check my salvage yards

Problem is they never made the 1st gen sohc in manual. Your only chance of plug n play would be early 2001 explorer sport / sport trac.

Problem is they never made the 1st gen sohc in manual. Your only chance of plug n play would be early 2001 explorer sport / sport trac.
Ah so looks like I'm up s#### creek without a pattle oh well looks like auto here I come.

flashflood has a 2nd gen which i think was not availavle with manual untilnthe sports iirc. howveer, i heard that in a 1st gen if you can deal with kights the auto pcm will run the manual, but will idke higher due to compensating for the no existant torque converter.the limiter on the sohcs is at 6200, the firet ten limit is like 5000or something

flashflood has a 2nd gen which i think was not availavle with manual untilnthe sports iirc. howveer, i heard that in a 1st gen if you can deal with kights the auto pcm will run the manual, but will idke higher due to compensating for the no existant torque converter.the limiter on the sohcs is at 6200, the firet ten limit is like 5000or something
Holy crap that's high I didn't even get my 1st gen to those heights.That would kill this engine if thought about going to those RPMs. This thing idles high anyway when it's cold so I don't that would really effect it much. Maybe I will do it maybe I won't. Like I said I just miss the living crap out of my manual.

Oh yeah I ment 2nd gen. You could get an ohv 5 speed in all years, just not a sohc. The early 2001 sport / sport trac would be the only way.

I've got an entire setup to swap an 02+ ranger or explorer from auto to manual and 90% of it is the same as 99-01 explorer but the pats security is wired differently and it would take some creativity to make it work. I listed it in the for sale section years ago lol

Dang this sucks well 😕 I guess I either fix the body parts and have some techer buy it. or I'll start doing research on this one about pulling the trannie myself in about a couple of months. Maybe I'll look at doing the motor too idk. Dang I would have really loved for that really low first gear. She's also got brand new stinking rubber.

Just out of curiosity when pulling the trans can you do that stupid back chain or does the motor have to come out thinking ladder.

Just out of curiosity when pulling the trans can you do that stupid back chain or does the motor have to come out thinking ladder.
the latter iirc. i mean there's so little space between that and the firewall. if you are a master i imagine it could be done without seeing??? like by feel, but idk never seen it done that wy

Oh yeah I ment 2nd gen. You could get an ohv 5 speed in all years, just not a sohc. The early 2001 sport / sport trac would be the only way.

I've got an entire setup to swap an 02+ ranger or explorer from auto to manual and 90% of it is the same as 99-01 explorer but the pats security is wired differently and it would take some creativity to make it work. I listed it in the for sale section years ago lol

It's an easy change(at a cost of course) to program out the auto trans control from any PCM, doesn't that make the neutral safety switch issue a minor rewiring step? I think I've read of that done many times for 90's Mustangs, using the auto PCM with the swap. Finding a manual PCM is harder and an expense for sure, but programming the existing PCM should gain a tiny amount of power also for no extra cost with the trans delete.

It's an easy change(at a cost of course) to program out the auto trans control from any PCM, doesn't that make the neutral safety switch issue a minor rewiring step? I think I've read of that done many times for 90's Mustangs, using the auto PCM with the swap. Finding a manual PCM is harder and an expense for sure, but programming the existing PCM should gain a tiny amount of power also for no extra cost with the trans delete.
I mean honestly I heard a lot of people do it on first gens too and not having to swap computers honestly that was google talking. All the ones here different story. People say they run terrible because of the cpu not being that smart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PCM you have is ideal for that SOHC engine, but the trans control is a different part of it. All it needs is to stop the auto trans functions and how the neutral safety circuit works between the two types of transmissions.

Back