Solved - Missing Part - towing eye | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Missing Part - towing eye

Post number 90 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
as I posted before there is a hole in the rear bumper that is threaded for the hook
I knew about the rear tow point but I wonder if all 6th gen trims have that?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I knew about the rear tow point but I wonder if all 6th gen trims have that?

Peter
I wouldn’t know why they’d change it, but I haven’t seen any 2021’s in person that I know of. Also that rear hole is not something that sticks out to me so I always forget :p

2023 Explorer XLT -- there IS an access panel, not round, and there is NOT a bolt hole behind it!
currently talking about this to dealership.
waiting on return call!
"good luck with that!" is what I expect...
will update

Jerry LongTimeFordOwner

p.s. there is no REAR retrieval tow hook either, as was available in previous year models?!

I guess FOMOCO execs made a cost-saving decision? "Let owner insurance pay for damaged bumper ..."

FORD EXPLORER TOW HOOK PANEL.jpg

2023 Explorer XLT -- there is an access panel, not round, and there is NOT a bolt hole behind it!
waiting on return call!
will update

Jerry LongTimeFordOwner
Welcome to the Forum Jerry. :wave:
Your case is not unusual. I believe there are many Explorers that lack the actual hole in which to screw the tow hook. Do you actually have the recovery hook?
NOTE. I just noticed that you posted in the 5th gen forum. There are threads/posts on this in the 6th gen forum. I'll move the post.

Peter

2023 Explorer XLT -- there IS an access panel, not round, and there is NOT a bolt hole behind it!
waiting on return call!
will update

Jerry LongTimeFordOwner

p.s. there is no REAR retrieval tow hook either, as was available in previous year models?!

I guess FOMOCO execs made a cost-saving decision? "Let owner insurance pay for damaged bumper ..."

View attachment 441507
That front mounting part was removed starting during the 2020 model year number.

SSM 48983 - 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility - Front Recovery Hook - Built On Or After 14-Nov-2019
Some 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor vehicles built on or after 14-Nov-2019 may not be equipped with an installation point behind the front fascia to mount a front recovery hook. The installation point was deleted as a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

That front mounting part was removed starting during the 2020 model year number.

SSM 48983 - 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility - Front Recovery Hook - Built On Or After 14-Nov-2019
Some 2020 Explorer/Police Interceptor vehicles built on or after 14-Nov-2019 may not be equipped with an installation point behind the front fascia to mount a front recovery hook. The installation point was deleted as a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

Do you have a picture of the rear hole. I don't see one any where on my 2020 ST, only the front one.
Hi Dale. Thanks for the post. I guess I didn't dig deep enoughh to find that. BTW, there is a picture of the rear one in the link I provided in my post. It is a few posts after the linked one.

Peter

Hi Dale. Thanks for the post. I guess I didn't dig deep enoughh to find that. BTW, there is a picture of the rear one in the link I provided in my post. It is a few posts after the linked one.

Peter
My error on the rear mount. I missed that was from the pre 6th grn model. I removed it from my post. Thanks Peter.

waiting on return call!
will update

Jerry LongTimeFordOwner

View attachment 441507

As linked by Peter and others, the tow hook eye was removed mid production of 2020. The same plastic part is being used as I'm sure it would cost more to remanufacture it as a solid piece so it's continued to be used. Your dealer should know this by now being it hasn't been installed for 3 years.

Just to resurrect this, towing eyes are required in most EU countries.

Back