HIX

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda 4.0 4x4 SuperCab
Someone had to put this up!

Let's set the dates for MOAB 2001!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe last year everyone went in May. I think the consensus was to do it again around the same time? I would like to go this year, but it would have to be after May 9th (my last final exam).

Late May. Hopefully, an even bigger crowd. :)

mays good...any time....im going! im going! im going!

Make it the Victoria Day long weekend and I'm there. That would be the weekend of May 19-21.

As long as it's set relatively early everybody that wants to join will have enought time to work their schedule around it. For me May 19-21 works great. Let's hear some more voices.

and it's gonna take me a while to get there. We, boys from Illinois want to attend next year. Attica is not enough.

Later,

I'll go with Paul's suggestion. That way I get to meet him in person and my elves can decorate his future ricemobile :D Another part of me thinks it needs to be a couple of weeks later though.

Last year's timing was perfect and the weather was too. However I would love to schedule it another month later so my eight year old son would be out of school and could join me, but I realize that won't work for most people. Plus if we schedule it much later it will be getting kinda hot out there in the Moab desert. I personally want my son with me so I vote for one month later than we did this year, and to do it in early June so those of us with kids can make this a family deal.

I'm single. I'll be there regardless when the run is scheduled, but wanted to offer an option/ thought/ opinion to meet the needs of not only me but the greatly-expanding base of members here who want to participate but maybe can't go because of family reasons. For example, I'd like Perry and Teri Schwab's son Patrick to experience Moab next year and for them to make it out there, but if the school year is still going on I don't think that will happen. And we all KNOW Gofast will be out there, and wants to be able to do it with his family that includes a couple of school-age kids.

Is it possible to schedule this one month later?

Just a thought for discussion.

If it's towards the end of may, I'm damn well gonna make it! Not to mention, if ya can go by Andre's dates...You guys have at least 3 guys from Illinois, and that would be totally sweet...Not to mention, two trucks would be trailered all the way, we baby our trucks:) Please, please, please, make it for the end of May! I need to get lockers and gears installed!
Thanks,
Pete

P.S. Did I mention the end of May?

That's another thing. I think it all will depend on when the school is out also. I would have to check on that. I'd love to take my son with me not to mention my wife and a daughter and a crazy dalmation we have for a dog.

Good point.

Pete, can you work around it?

Work around what?? I would only say the end of may because I wanna get some money to get my lockers and gears and the later it is...the more likely I'll have a mile marker winch!
I want a set up just like Todd's:) But I'm out the 5th I believe, and I wanna have it late...Oh yea, I figure late may cause I would assume it could be a lil bit cooler there
Thanks,
Pete

Like I said, if we plan around the time when the school's out then we should get even bigger crowd. It won't be so much about wheeling only then but it could become something like a family kind of thing.
I like the idea of pushing it till later, sometime in June.

Later,

Later?

Hopefully I can work out coming between my graduation from UT, my brother's graduation from Medical School, my summer job, and family vacation. I would really like to come and meet all you guys (and gals). Is there stuff in Moab that my 2wd can do? It has a lot of power, but the drivetrain and tires are stock.

I like may....the weekend of 19-21 is perfect. Since my b-day is the 24th I'll just take a long ass weekend. I'm for may....however if June is better for others I guess I could do that too.

Last years date was picked to work around other Moab events such as their annual Walk-A-Thon and some other stuff. The date of our run last year was the weekend of the 5-7th. This year would be the 4-6th.

I think it would be a good idea to contact a Moab hotel, or their chamber of commerce to see what their schedule is looking like. I know it was impossible to get hotel rooms when we did our pre-run last year. The town was booked solid.

OK, I just did some research. There is a 10K walk-a-thon and a Mountain bike rally on the weekend of the 19-20.

[Edited by Rick on 10-28-2000 at 09:07 AM]

exactly... because no matter how many hotels there are, they'll all be full whenever we're there, I think its the curse :). Whenever is fine for me, I'll be there regardless...

Gerald,
Yes we will be there also. If I have to Patrick will miss a couple days of school. It is close enough for us he won't miss that much. I am not sure when he gets out, so I'll have to ask Teri.
For you to take your son, you would have to miss more days of school then us.
Like someone said, starting now will give people plenty of time to get time off work.

Rick,
is later in May better or the first of June?
I have never been there, so I have no idea what to expect as far as other groups out there.
I have been told you wait to long and it gets way to hot.

[Edited by Perry on 10-28-2000 at 09:11 AM]

Rick, I'll take care of that and contact Moab. We are really bringing this up pretty early, but the Moab CofC should still have a good idea what is scheduled next year. I'd LOVE to go along with the early June dates to wait for school to let out but considering how perfect the weather was for us last year one full month earlier I am also going to find out what the weather patterns are in Moab during June. We don't have J**ps so most of us can enjoy our A/C on the trail, but I'm still not too sure how much fun it would be in 100 degree weather. We tend to spend a lot of time outside our vehicles on the trail.

[Edited by GJarrett on 10-28-2000 at 09:14 AM]

HEY....no fair...my air stopped working a long time ago. As for the weather, there is a HUGE difference between the two months. It's starting to get hot in may but in June it's hot as heck. If we keep it in begining of June though we should be OK. The only problem I can see with the weather is at times in May and June rain does seem to pop it's head up sometimes and when it rains around here in the desert....it rains.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I was liking that 19-21 weekend of May...As I said before, I would only assume that it would be a bit cooler. But then again, I've never been to Utah, so how would I know the weather. This is my opinions though. I've never been to Moab. I've seen the pics and they look incredible! This is something I want to exprience. I also would like my g/f and dad to come, just cause I think it would be fun and something they may want to exprience as well. The earliest I could go is the second weekend in may....I come home the first weekend...But like i said the later the better....Now, you say the motels may be packed...Is camping not allowed? Weather reasons? Etc. I have no clue what the area is like..So I don't know....All I know is that it's about 7 months away, but I've found that the sooner ya plan the events...the better they can be, which is good :) ....bottom line is, I wanna go, and so do three others from Illinois! And I wanna exprience the west coast guys as well!
Thanks for listening to me ramble!
Pete

Back