MOAB EXPLORER EXTRAVAGANZA 2001 | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MOAB EXPLORER EXTRAVAGANZA 2001

You guys coming out of texas wil be coming through Albuquerque won't you? Like I said get a hold of me, I'll be leaving on wed so we can caravan. E-mail me BarJ44@aol.com Robbie J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone want to combine Colorado with Moab?

It looks like Gofast may not be able to make it to Moab. We were planning to run a couple of the Ouray trails - probably Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, and Engineer Pass with a side trip to Animas Forks ghost town - on the way back to Texas since they are so close to Moab. I want my 8 yr old son to experience what we did at the CCR2000 run last Labor Day.

Would anyone else be interested in joining me for a couple of days after Moab weekend to go over to Colorado? I'm looking for a trail partner.

BTW, we have had a cancellation and if Gofast cannot make it either that means at least one spot is now open to go to Moab. If you want to go and missed the registration email me direct.

Re: Anyone want to combine Colorado with Moab?

Originally posted by GJarrett
It looks like Gofast may not be able to make it to Moab. We were planning to run a couple of the Ouray trails - probably Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, and Engineer Pass with a side trip to Animas Forks ghost town - on the way back to Texas since they are so close to Moab. I want my 8 yr old son to experience what we did at the CCR2000 run last Labor Day.

You may want to do some checking or even ask Matt, but I don't think any of those trails will be open yet. If I remember they don't get them open at least until Memorial weekend and that is if we haven't had a lot of snow.

We plan on going back there with my folks, but it will be later in the year. That was to pretty of an area to do only once.

Gerald, you can always head south (same way as home) and take him to Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde and Canyon de Chelly.

Impressive for an 8 year old.

That's Plan B. Way back in this thread we had some discussion on adding Colorado and the concensus from some in the area (Wabbit and HIX, I believe) was there will be an excellent chance that at least part of the Ouray trails will be open. That area is the first in CO to clear out the snow for the summer and they have them all open by Memorial Day weekend. Since this is only a week and a half before Memorial Day we are hoping that some of them will have already been worked on in preparation for Memorial Day.

If for some reason they are not, I am going to take him to Grand Canyon and other areas. He wants to see Mesa Verde so we are going by there for sure anyways.

I can update you on the San Juan Mtn passes...

Gerald,
As the time nears, I can get info on the status of local passes. We can hope for the best but in mid-May, the chances are not good to traverse, Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer. It all depends on the snowpack. As 4 wheeling tours are an important part of the local tourism economy, the "powers that be" are motivated to clear and open these passes as soon in the season as possible. However, many areas on these roads travese slides that accumulate snow over 50 feet deep.
Mesa Verde is a wonderful place. If you want to really get out and soak it in, plan on at least two days. Not to say one day is a waste of time but it is a big area with many different ancient sites. Be sure to get there in the morning to sign up for some tours. Several of the ruins, including Cliff Palace, are by park ranger tour only.
When we go to Cortez we like to stay at the Sand Canyon Inn, a cozy little motel on Main St. with a pool and hot tub.

Can't go. Room available now.

Sorry gang, I can't make this trip.

Wife is looking for a job and I can't spend anymore money on the truck ( 302 conversion ) until we have some finacial security ( another paycheck )

So I will cancel my reservation at the Silver Sage Inn.

If you need a room, let me know and I'll have them transfer it to you.

Thanks Rob

Hey Rob We'll take the extra room. Just let me know how you want to do it. Robbie J

Silver Sage Inn

RobbieJ,

Call the Silver Sage Inn, soon. They are holding my room for you, but you need to call and give them your information. They will only hold it till tomorrow 4-13-01.

Room was under James Robertson, for the 18th,19th & 20th.

Have fun and enjoy Moab.

Rob's must do runs...

Steel Bender
Double Whammy on the Golden Spike trail
Potatoe Salid Hill, my favorite dump!

Thanks Rob

Peter.....I was talking to a guy at work today who is into mountain biking and now we must take a ton of photos for him. :) I'll bring a extra roll of film for you. He also gave me a link to the web-site for the White Rim trail. My butt is already starting to hurt from the thought. 100 miles and then the drive back.......I can't wait.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/
Dead Link Removed

ps.....do you think we should try to get a space just in case. Even if it is near the end it's still better to know for sure we have somewhere to camp at. If not.....forget it.....we'll just make our own site. :) I am working on printing out a map, but for some reason it's not working. Who knows what the heck I did

ok....so I didn't screw up. Here is a map of the area.
Dead Link Removed

Lee

I sent in for a reservation last year quite a bit earlier (I think it was end of Feb-beginning of March and all I could get was Airport at mile 11.5) I doubt we'll get anything at this date. But if you want to try, go for it.

Matt is ordering some 520 SMR's driving lights for me and you have a set of extra lights too, so we should be OK even if we cover the 3rd or so (from what I understand not very scenic) in the dark. Heck, maybe we can convince Matt to come with us, since he had originally planned on going with me last year. He can turn night into daylight and light up the whole canyon.

By the way, I'm planning on shooting a lot more than one roll of film. Just to give you an idea of how I shoot. Over the last 6 weeks, I burned thru about 100-120 rolls shooting Little League Baseball. But then of course, these are for sale to the parents.

Decision has been made....... No Moab for Dre this year........ booooooooooooooooooohhoooohooohooohooo

God works in a mysteries way!!!
Circumstances have forced me to change my plans. I had to give-up something and it looks like it's gonna be Moab. Well, at least for now it looks this way. I have spent too much money lately, unfortunately some expenses were unpredictable....

well, room at Silver Sage is up for grabs, I have not called them yet, let me know if anyone wants to take it......

I'm gonna hide and cry now!

That's ok Dre, I can't make it this year either.

GOOOOO!!!!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?!?!?! dissapointed am i.....
cry.gif
.....but...somtimes things don't work out the way we'd like.....sorry you guys can't make it!!! i promise not to have any fun! hehe

yeah, right..... Riff=no fun???

that's impossible Scott....... you always have fun...

now I'm gonna have to watch it at Attica to make sure I don't brake anything on my truck (to avoid more spending).
I'm gonna have to slow down a bit with all that. Truck still at the shop...... I hope it'll be ready for "Dinner with Rick". (lol, it's like a National Event of some sorts).

Later,

Bringing the motorhome!

Well it looks like the motorhome is coming to Moab. So...I'll check around the area for cheap hook-ups. But it looks like I'll still be at Lion's Back on wed morning. It looks like the motorhome is gonna have a Keg as a comfort option. Ahh...roughing it!

It's (almost) official: I'll be trailbossing the 3D trail on Saturday. So if y'all want to end up somewhere in the Idaho wilderness, follow me! ;)

Originally posted by Alec
It's (almost) official: I'll be trailbossing the 3D trail on Saturday. So if y'all want to end up somewhere in the Idaho wilderness, follow me! ;)

Sure glad I'm not in the stock group.
A Texan with only two wheel drive leading a group, just wonder were that group will end up at???? LOL j/k

Alec

Are you coming with my group on Friday for a pre-run?

I'll let you be tail gunner. That way, if I get lost while leading, you probably won't even be aware of it. :)

Now that we're only one month away, time to ask who from the Big Dawgs and Modified groups is going to let me ride shotgun Saturday and Sunday so I can take pictures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, coming on the 3D run on Friday. I don't know if I want to tailgun though on my first offroad adventure of this magnitude though. we'll see. Thanks for the offer.

Back