Mustang engine swap 01 ranger 05 pony | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang engine swap 01 ranger 05 pony

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6
will an 05 mustang 4.0L V6 SOHC bolt on to my 2001 Ranger 4.0L V6 SOHC chassis and tranny. are they the same motor? my front chain guides are shot and the the rattle is there. opened the valve cover and seeing pieces. chain looks ok but i parked it. NAPA chain set 475. cheapo chinese set 100 ebay FORD OEM 495 and i probably need a cam tool. the mustang motor with 150K on it is $!000 which way to go. all the ranger and explorer motors i've found so far have 180K+ on them. The Mustang intake even looks the same. Help!
Paul 214-878-9461

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

messure everything and count the tranny bolts. do the research on motor dementions . that would be a sick ass truck with a nwer stang motor.

Yes, it should work. I'm pretty sure I have a 2005 motor in my 2001 Ranger.

However, if you are doing it to save money, then you aren't counting it up right. You would be crazy to put a used SOHC in anything without changing the chains on it first. So you get to pay for the chain work either way (and don't cheap out with the junk Chinese set). If your existing engine didn't have any major problems/wasn't otherwise worn out, and you can properly do the work yourself, then fixing that engine is by far the cheapest option, and you know what you are getting. If you have to pay someone else to do the work the labor is prohibitive.

brand a brand b

chinese 100
JAPANESE 175
cloyes 275
ebay ford OEM 495

what would you do?

decent alternative

From what I've read Cloyes timing chain components are a decent (and less expensive) alternative to OEM. If you have a good set of tools and are able to accurately follow detailed instructions then replacing the timing related components yourself can save you a lot of money. If you're impatient and sloppy when following procedures then you can destroy the engine on first start after making the repairs.

There are minor differences in make and model years of the SOHC V6 but the long blocks are basically interchangeable. Many members have replaced their Explorer engines with Mustang engines since lower mileage Mustang engines are more available and less sought after (less expensive). The 4WD engines have a balance shaft while the 2WD engines normally don't. Many members have replaced their balance shaft engine with a non-balance shaft engine and reported no problems.

Do you have a place to work and access to a crane to remove and install the engine? Do you have another vehicle to drive while working on your engine repairs? The OTC 6488 timing tool kit simplifies the somewhat complex camshaft timing and is more accurate. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions which I found quite useful.

went to MMI and took every course in 89. Harley and Honda papers. have always worked on my own cars. i presently have a terrible slanted driveway. so i will pull it in the street and push the motor on the stand up the driveway into the garage. very thorough toolboxes but no timing chain tools. i gave 2500 for this truck knowing that rattle was probably a chain so shame on me for not finding out the financial lowdown. guess i'll pull #1 plug, roll it around to TDC and pull the motor. I parked it after 1 day of driving with a fresh damper that cured it for 24 hours. now i fear future damage so out comes the mill. i have a 71 bronco pickup a 72 ranchero a 92 E250 maxi a 95 ram 1500 a 53 F100 and a 54 F100. I like the ranger a lot after only one day, it really gets around well. it only got 15 mpg so i hope i can better that. does napa rent this tool or do i have to pop another 150 for it? very shortly i will have $3K in this bargain truck with 180K on it but here we go!

mustang swap funky stuff

I am buying the 4.0L V6 from a 2005 Mustang tomorrow. Will the Ranger wiring harness cover all the sensors and bases or is there any need for me to retrieve the wiring harness and/or computer from the Mustang? Also it is cheaper without the alternator/starter/compressor/power steering pump but I may go ahead and kick the $300 to have those spare parts if they fit the ranger.

I am buying the 4.0L V6 from a 2005 Mustang tomorrow. Will the Ranger wiring harness cover all the sensors and bases or is there any need for me to retrieve the wiring harness and/or computer from the Mustang? Also it is cheaper without the alternator/starter/compressor/power steering pump but I may go ahead and kick the $300 to have those spare parts if they fit the ranger.
Not sure what it takes to get this thing running wiring wise but usually you have to delete a lot of wiring and add some wiring.
Just pay somebody to get the motor fixed. You will regret trying to do an engine swap if you've never done one before, especially on a DD.

new chains old motor

i can change the changes with engine removal and have a 200K motor with new chains. i'm essentially buying 70k miles off the motor. gonna try it and will post the results. thanks for the links i am reading them all.

messure everything and count the tranny bolts. do the research on motor dementions . that would be a sick ass truck with a nwer stang motor.
Its basically the same motor as the 2nd Gen trucks, same hp etc. Your pry thinking of the '11+ 3.7 in the Stang.

Back