MustangAndy's Elite registry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MustangAndy's Elite registry

Owner: MustangAndy
Vehicle: Project99
(Thanks Stic-o)

SOLD Aug 28,2008

etown11.jpg

Well now that I signed up to be one of the Elite I'm going to start a registry, and keep this going as a running blog of sorts.

I see alot of new guys and gals joining the site and asking the same questions over and over again. So instead of having somebody say "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON DUMMY" and driving a new member away, I hope that those members out there that help instead of criticize, link back to this registry as well as other Elite Member's registries showing the knowledge we have gained being new to this place.

I myself am your typical shade-tree mechanic. I don't have a lift, or a welder, my air tools and compressor are cheap Wal-Mart value. I work with hand tools and good old elbow grease.

When a project becomes too much for my small arsenal, it goes to a professional. The X-pipe and cat back on the Mustang Stand out the most in my mind. I got as far as the cats and said "Yep, time to go to Meineke" and drove it 10 miles at 7a.m. on a Saturday running just about straight pipes:cool:)

My best friend is a mechanic and he's pretty helpful at times ("You break one header stud, and I'm outta here":D)

I'll add more to this as time goes on, but for now I think this is pretty good.

And, now on with the show:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Page 1:
Bio
Vehicles
Mod list of my '99 Sport - Post 3
$10 Light Bar install - Post 15
Snorkel project - Post 20

Page 2:
Front Driveshaft out, New T-case and Rockcrusher differential cover - Post 21
New Rockcrusher8.8 Diffy cover by JTSmith - Post 26

The guy behind the name:

Reality:
Andy G
Oak Ridge, NJ (Jefferson Township)

Education:
Graduate of Jefferson High - Class of '05
Graduate of Lincoln Tech, Mahwah Campus, in the EST program(Electronic Systems Technician) - Class of August '06

Job:
Current Ocupation:
Rack fabricator and computer programmer at C.R.I.

On the side:
Webmaster (Der Netzhauptmann) for Dirty Jersey Off-Road. - Live near Jersey? Visit our site and sign-up today!

Nicknames:
CB Handle: Leaping Lizard - I am no longer a tiny grasshopper, I've learned too much
EF Handle: MustangAndy - I own a Mustang and my name's Andy
Steam/Counter-Strike: C|-|AINSAW - Sounds cool

Vehicles:
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
4.0L SOHC V6
EST. 205HP

2002 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6
EST. 210HP

This is how it looked when I first brought it home. It was in the driveway only 10 mins. and I had already installed a Lund hood deflector and AVS window rain guards.
2615055_1_full.jpg

I started with this POS. A '98 Sport 4.0L OHV with 108K on the odometer.
2521480_2_full.jpg

AND JUST LOOK AT THIS NICE INTERIOR :p:
2521480_4_full.jpg

I got rid of because it always had a horrible thump while driving which was later found out to be the CV axle, that and every other week something else broke on it. :thumbdwn:

I also have one of these on the side. 2002 3.8L V6 auto - I rescued it froma Chrysler dealership.
599526_19_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice! How long have you had it for?

CURRENT LIST OF MODS:

EXTERIOR:
  1. Painted the grill mesh silver
  2. "4x4" Emblem from Pep Boys painted to match other extrior badging
  3. Removed the running boards
  4. Ricer 3A Racing exhaust tip
  5. AVS window rain guards
  6. Lund hood deflector
  7. Custom light bar
  8. Custom rear tube bumper with swing-out tire carrier by Mudbug94
  9. Wienerschnitzel mascot antenna topper (Went to Cali on a business trip)
INTERIOR:
  1. Bully truck pedals
  2. Black mats fron and rear
  3. Mounted fire extingusher
  4. Working on changing guage colors
  5. Removed the cargo area carpeting and Herculined it.
AUDIO:
  1. Pioneer DEH-P3900MP Headunit
  2. Pioneer 6x8" Speakers in all 4 corners
  3. Kicker ZX300.1 Amp
  4. Kicker 10" Sub in a Q-logic Stealth Box
ENGINE:
  1. Snorkel project
TRANS/DRIVELINE:
  1. 2nd Borg-Warner 4405 Transfer case
  2. Custom powder-coated Rockcrusher 8.8 rear differential cover by JTSmith
SUSPENSION:
  1. Warrior shackles
  2. Rear sway bar disconnects
WHEELS/TIRES:
  1. BFGoodrich All-Terrains 31x10.5
  2. Crager Soft 8 rims with factory Ford hub caps
LIGHTING:
  1. 7000K Headlights
  2. 7000K fog lamps
  3. Four 55w hyper white Rally driving lights (roof)
COMMUNICATIONS:
  1. Lafayette HB740 CB (Circa 1977)
  2. Radio Shack 102" CB whip

congrads on being elite nice sport and mustang u got there

Some Pictures:

Running boards off for the first time. Takes about 10 mins per side if none of your bolts are frozen:
2615055_4_full.jpg

After shot when I installed the Warrior shackles. I don't have any install photos. I was done in about an hour with the help of my mechanically-challenged brother.
2615055_5_full.jpg

Shot of my old school CB radio (Build date stamp on back says Nov. 1977):
2615055_6_full.jpg

Engine:
2615055_3_full.jpg

Roof Lights:
2615055_12_full.jpg

2615055_18_full.jpg

2615055_15_full.jpg

mustangandy does ur stang got dual exhaust and what kind of exhaust does it got

Charlie:
Thanks, I've owned the Mustang for about 5 years and the black X will be 1 year in April.

Sam:
1. Thank you
2. Yes, the Stang a has a dual set up. BBK chrome plated shorty headers (heat burned blue) with 1-5/8" primaries, a Pypes 2-1/2" catted X-pipe with GT take-off duals

andy u got any sound clips of the stang my friend's mom has one likes urs but her's is a 99

Sam:
Not at this time, the car overloads my tiny camera's mic.

Hey there andy i see u got aim but ur not on it right now i wanted to chat with u.

here is my aim sn if u wanna chat with me pimpin01xplrsprt

Nice ex and explorer! congrats on becoming elite!

Sam:
I'm at work right now AIM only works inter company with our personal names, maybe later.

x92Explorer:
Thanks

Flyinguitars:
Thank you on both.

Custom Light Bar

In December I made a light bar for my X. You can find the thread for it as well as instructions on how to build your own here. One of the moderators made it a sticky. I kept checking the thread for questions and was surprised when I couldn't find it the next day. that's when I noticed it was now a sticky.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201833

Convict1997 used my plans here and made his own. Looks better than mine. Probably because he took more time to make sure it was done right the first time, instead of having to go back like I'll have to.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207552

EDIT: I have to get a picture of it, but just before the 2008 Englishtown Swap Meet & Show I put all the wiring into splitloom

Beautiful! Man, you can do so much with the 2nd gens... Those seats! Comfy, no?

Donner:

Thanks. And yes the seats are nice, only time they aren't is when the sunroof leaks. :rolleyes:

Well now it seems that I should start keeping a better log on my truck.

I changed my oil last night and I found out I'm about 10,000 miles without a change.

I write the mileage on the filter when I change it. The filter said 75,0XX the odometer in my truck says 85,0XX - NOT GOOD on conventional Penzoil.

I used Valvoline 5W-30, a bottle of Engine Restore, and a Fram Tough Guard filter (TG-8A if you have a '99 4.0L SOHC V6). We'll see how this holds up. I will say this though: The truck is responding a bit better this morning and that tapping valve has quieted down some.

Very nice truck. I've forgoten myself a few times and gone 10,000 between oil changes. And it still runs like a clock with close to 250,000 miles. And that is with dyno oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Project Keep out the water

So after my first true off-roading trip where 2 guys took some gulps (both repaired on trail with no signs of damage) I decided to build a snorkel for my truck.

When I installed my K&N filter a week later I found my original filter rusting over and water residue on the inside lid. :thumbdwn:

First thing to do was try and figure out how in the hell Ford attached my fender. Now mind you, as stated above, I am still on a major learning curve, this is the first time I've ever take a fender off a car. Bumpers are easy a few bolts and done. Fenders have bolts hidden everywhere.

So here's what I did:

I found one hidden bolt behind the marker lamps
53400001.JPG

Here's all the upper bolts out
53400002.JPG

An old tackle bin will help you keep track of parts. This is one project you don't want to lose anything.
53400003.JPG

There's a bolt on the side of the fender behind the front bumper.
53400005.JPG

And this little guy helped take it out
53400006.JPG

Here we see the door bolt extraction tool
53400007.JPG

Which I already removed in this picture
53400008.JPG

Sport fender trim taken off
53400010.JPG

That happened to be hiding 2 more bolts and 2 stupid Christmas tree fittings.
53400011.JPG

At this point I'm trying to figure out what the hell is STILL holding the fender on.
53400012.JPG

It turned out to be this support bracket in the back
53400013.JPG

And this bolt up front. It was rusted so bad I actually backed it out of the fiber glass instead of taking the nut off. :thumbdwn:
53400014.JPG

Inner fender sprayed with a quick coat of Rust-oleum gray.
53400015.JPG

The fender
53400016.JPG

Inner fender resprayed Rust-oleum black
53400018.JPG

EDIT: As it stands now my snorkel project stopped at a piece of PVC pipe going into the fenderwell.

Back