My 91 Exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 91 Exploder

I have been on this site since I bought my last explorer, and the old bat has served me well, however it is time to upgrade and get something a little more useful, such as 4 wheel drive. Enter the 91 I just picked up last week.

This truck has sat wrecked for 5 years in the weeds, just down the road from me. I have had to pass by this rig everyday for the last year since moving back to Oklahoma. I liked the color scheme of it, and saw the four wheel drive, but I figured it was an automatic so I never really investigated.

In January of 2014 I asked if it was for sale and got a ridiculous number the way it sat. I finally looked at it and saw that it was a 5 speed, I knew I had to have it.

I had to supply the wheels and tires.

Pictures:
20140511_113439_zps129f62ae.jpg
20140131_153804_zpsd592595f.jpg
20140511_130422_zpsdd922dee.jpg
20140513_144142_zps80bfeff9.jpg
20140513_144151_zpse198b6cd.jpg
20140513_144224_zps1ef17839.jpg

The best part:

Never mind the front tires and wheels, they are simply to help it sit. They came off a Nissan Maxima.
20140511_130422_zpsdd922dee.jpg

The accident damage:

Yes, that is the pitman arm laying on the ground, it was snapped off the gear box in the accident.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plan is to get it running, ditch the ugly red interior ALL of it except the headliner, because it is near perfect.

The previous owner doesn't have/ lost the title and never changed it over from his dad who bought it new 7-17-1991 as written in the owners manual. So this is a 1 owner truck.

98% of my parts are coming from my existing explorer: gear box, front end, dashboard, wheels and tires, and interior for now.

I did get a bill of sale for the 91, but with no title and tags out of date by 5 years the penalties to fix the legal stuff are way more than the truck is worth. Which is why my dash will go in the 91, because I have a tag and title for my 92.

I have gutted the interior. The carpet was very filthy, I don't think it have ever been cleaned. Since I have no intentions of reusing the red carpet I put it in the trash can. The drivers seat was broken and smelled of old animal pee. The only red left is the dash the headliner, and plastic trim panels.

I was trying to reconnect the rear outside handle to the latch, and found the plastic clip was broken.

The beast still doesn't start, I swapped fuel pump relays from my 92, no change. I haven't swapped computers yet. I am not hearing the fuel pump prime / pressurize when turning the key on. The chime for door open and key on is almost inaudible.

The manual hubs in the picture I couldn't find a name on them, so I googled the patent number, and the patent number was issued to the WARN company. I guess I have WARN manual hubs? Either way I'm happy that I don't have the autotragic hubs.

The last piece to toss in the junk pile will be the electric transfer case. I don't know if it works and don't care, I don't want anything other than a good old manual "I know it is in gear" transfer case.

Looks like a great starting point.
Do you mind posting pics of your 92 so I can get an idea of what it is as personally I don't believe I have seen it (I am sorta new here).
Trav

Nice I am glad you are going with a different colored interior I have never been much of a red interior guy myself.
Trav

My dash from the 92 was originally grey, painted tan to kind of half @$$ match the rest of the tan Eddie Bauer interior.

There is one other truck with this color scheme in town and it has grey interior, and I like that look. So grey is the chosen main interior color, I will be using random red trim pieces to make it go with the outside color scheme. I'm hoping to find grey leather seats.

I think whomever designed the Ford red was colorblind, I have never liked it.

All of the options work minus passenger front window motor. That isn't a problem as I just rebuilt my 92's window motors 6 months ago.

I did notice the negative cable seemed to be hot yesterday while cranking. Anyone have a clue what that is?

I will be transferring my new positive cable (3 months old) from the 92 to the 91. I should probably buy a new negative cable just to be safe.

My only other question would be why don't you just take the 92 cab off and put it on the 91? I would think it would be easier but it is your truck.

And ya the gray is a lot better. I have gray in my 94 Explorer and I love it. We have tan in the ranger and Bronco 2 and personally I don't care for it.
Trav

Well I did my search of "hot negative cable" and determined the cable is bad. I kind of figured that, but wanted to be sure. I don't want the truck to burn to the ground.

This just proves searching and reading on here you just might find your answer without starting a new thread.

The 92 is originally an XL, with XLT/ Eddie Bauer options added in by me. I spray bombed my truck to make it all one color years ago, and it looks like hell now. The truck was 3 shades of red, then add in tan and brown doors, and a green limited bumper.

I live on a dirt road and the rear wiper comes in handy.

It takes an hour to remove the dash, there is a thread on it here.

My 92's engine is dog tired with 233k miles, and it has more leaks than I can fix at the present moment. That engine needs a rebuild. The 91 has 180k miles and recent head gaskets by the previous owner.

Oh ok then. And I know how the rear wiper comes in handy on the dirt roads we live on them to and for some reason these explorers throw dirt up like crazy.

Are you going to keep the 92 and use it later as a beater or what?
Trav

Oh ok thanks for that info.
Trav

Update, I pulled my drivers side fender, headlights, grille, filler piece below the grille, front and read bumpers as well as receiver hitch off my parts truck.

The 91 looks surprisingly better with the missing pieces installed. The drivers fender lined up with no problem. I had to "persuade" the core support a little for the drivers headlight to sit nicely. It isn't perfect but I have the four main screw locations covered.

While I have the front (limited) and rear bumpers off, I will touch them up with some of the do it yourself bedliner material, and if I have enough leftover hit up the rocker panels again from what the factory did.

I am headed to the junkyard today for the last day of the 50% off sale. They utilize major holidays here to throw a big sale, and the best part is that it's a pull it yourself yard.

My wifey will be tagging along with me today, it is our 7 year anniversary of being together. Nice date don't ya think? She even suggested it!! I love this woman!!

Picture time. I got a few things done to the 91 like hanging the fender and lights and picked up a limited grille.

And my two limited pieces my wife and the grille. My wife mastered the clips to get this grille out. I admit I was afraid to push too hard because I have broken tons of clips on these trucks over the years. ALSO HOW MANY SPOUSES/ SIGNIFICANT OTHERS TAG ALONG TO THE SALVAGE WITH Y'ALL?

Getting an idea how it will look.

And there is this sad ending to this 91 I saw at the salvage :(
20140525_185839_zps89527871.jpg
20140525_185826_zpse91100a3.jpg
20140526_122600_zpsa6c4f9c0.jpg
20140526_162843_zps3074eb0e.jpg
20140526_125306_zpsdfa694c6.jpg

That's a good lady. ...

Hey!

If your wife has ever said to you,

"Today is our 7th anniversary, Let's go to the pick-n-pull!"

You might be a redneck.. .. . ... :D

z1a_zpsc89a1d01.jpg

Bad news discovered this evening. I had noticed how close the drivers side tire was towards the cab.

I looked closely to find the beam with the pumpkin is bent in about two inches. I figured this measurement by the distance between the fender and the tire on both my trucks.

How difficult is it to pull the beams?

I know with lift kits and such there's rivet cutting and stuff.

Bad news discovered this evening. I had noticed how close the drivers side tire was towards the cab.

I looked closely to find the beam with the pumpkin is bent in about two inches. I figured this measurement by the distance between the fender and the tire on both my trucks.

How difficult is it to pull the beams?

I know with lift kits and such there's rivet cutting and stuff.

It's more likely that the damage is to the radius arm and the RA mount.

If the beam is bent I would not recommend trying to straighten it, that would "work heat" the steel and make it very weak.

Unless your equipped to cut, patch and weld to correct the bend.

Replacement would be the way to go.

If you plan to lift to 4" or more a cut and turned set from BTF fabricating may be the answer for you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312831

$200 exchange. or $400 out right.

This way you have your replacement beams; ready for 4"+ lift.

Very fair price. A complete TTB from the bone yards run from $200-350

You'll need to swap over all your original parts; perfect time to replace the ball joints.

If you ship him your core, you only send the beams. No diff, no knuckles.

If it is just the RA and or mount you can get those new real cheap on the ol' eBay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back