My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the outer tie rods are good. But.. following the advice of those on here whose opinions I respect, I went ahead and ordered new outers today.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The outer tie rods were actually pretty tight. But since I bought new ones I put them on along with the new inner tie rods. Saved the old but still good outers in case I need one on the trail to get home. Got it aligned today and was amazed that despite the cranked torsion bars they got all the specs in the green. Castor, camber, and toe all good. Drives great.

20220808_190445.jpg

Decided it'd be a good idea to change the fuel filter as it's been acting funny, like starved for fuel. I still can't get the second connection off. (There is a small dent in the connector that I suspect I keeping the fuel filter from coming out). But having had one connector off and had the fuel in the filter drain all over me I can say that the fuel filter was a problem. The fuel that came out was dark and look at what it left on my arm!

20220902_205324.jpg

Thats what I've been giving serious thought to. They didn't leave room for improvisation on those things!

clean the connector inside with brake clean and compressed air
follow with a shot of pb blaster
rotate the fitting a few times back and forth
Push the fuel line onto the filter
Now insert your release tool

clean the connector inside with brake clean and compressed air
follow with a shot of pb blaster
rotate the fitting a few times back and forth
Push the fuel line onto the filter
Now insert your release tool
If it's dented it won't come apart. Waste of time

I can't stand those compression connectors!! They might be the sole reason for my heart disease. I fought mine forever before we went to CO, back in 2017. I had severe pains on that entire trip, and thought it was my lungs, as breathing fire and hot stabbing chest pains, plagued me that entire time. I was tempted to go to the ER when we replaced the HO2 sensor in the autoparts parking lot. Turns out it was blockage in my heart in 2 places. Doc told me it was all stress related, as my bloodwork showed normal dietary numbers. I blame that filter! 🤣

Makes sense to me Gman! I see a lawsuit coming on....

So that fuel line that goes from the filter to the engine, is it one piece from filter to fuel rail?, is there another joint somewhere?, how easy is it to get out and replace?

I wonder if the connector end can be cut off, and replaced with the Dorman line connectors? Either the double tube end style, or the single end with nylon end that clamps. I used the nylon line end replacement at the fuel pump side. Just an idea.

It's about 3 feet long maybe less, runs to a connector near the driver side shock tower. There is a bolt clamp, 10 mm I think, on frame.

Might work?

These metal clips are a pain in the azz. You can get new ones at your local auto parts store.

If they are rusted or full of dirt they won't come out. But you can get a pair of needle nose pliers and rip them out. New one just pops in there.

Screenshot_20220904-145937.png

Pulling as hard as you can, prying the hell out of the filter usually does the trick then just replace the metal clip

Went to the pick a part and got a used fuel line, rinsed it well with brake clean and blew it out with compressed air. installation was frustrating but not difficult. So now I have a nice new fuel filter. Hoping solves a minor stumbling when pulling away from stoplights.
Simple oil change and I'm done for the day!

Wow... yea that was it. It's like I put in a fresh engine! I'm embarrassed that I allowed it to get that bad.

Don't know if I've posted recent pics, so...

20220903_130306.jpg 20220903_130248.jpg 20220903_130228.jpg 20220903_130210.jpg 20220903_130154.jpg

Great job, those fuel lines are interesting to R&R, I did my rear one many years ago. Was the filter so dirty it made it stumble as you said?

Back