My Ford touch + iphone (or ipod) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ford touch + iphone (or ipod)

jakefeb3

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with trying to use an iphone with the myford touch capabilities?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular sync, yes. Since that part should be similar...what are you really wondering?

Its tough to pin point since there are sooo many features and functions on this thing. I was just reading a thread about how you can hook up your phone to the car and use the car as a wifi spot for your pc. Another thing would be the visual text messaging. Or how you can get it to play your music. Does it have a bluetooth ability for the music? Or do you hook it up using usb? or aux? hmmm.

The real issue is: I am getting ready to get a new phone. I currently own an iphone. But, if the iphone is not as "compatible" as another smartphone, I might want to get a different phone. I am trying to figure out if I should get another iphone, or get a different kind of phone

Go to www.syncmyride.com and they have a pdf file of compatible phones by carrier and by brand.

jakefeb3 -- iPhone has full capabilities with MFT with one exception. It doesn't do text messaging. My understanding is that Android phones do, but unfortunately iPhone does not. There have been rumors since the original iPhone came out that the function "is coming." After 4 years, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Other than that, iPhone ROCKS with MFT (and Sync).

Hey,

My iPhone 4 paired easily, and always connected via Bluetooth on its own. I never had any problems with that or making calls. Never tried text messaging.

It did stream my music via Bluetooth, however it did not show what song was playing or artist. And it was just playing songs randomly, like shuffle. I just never took the time to mess with it much as I listened mostly to Sirius, but I assumed that if I did that I would figure out how to "fix" it. Might be you have to use USB connection to see songs and artists (I have not tried it that way yet).

Can you control the playback? If you wanted to pause the iphone/ipod, could you do it from console? or do you have to use the iphone still?

It showed pause/forward/backward buttons on the touch screen, so I believe the answer to your question is "yes." When I wanted to skip songs and move forward I tended to just use the touch part on the Sony radio vs. the touch screen, but I'm sure that would have worked also.

I will be happy to test it out further for you once I get my Explorer back from the dealer (I have a DEAD MyFord Touch right now). :(

I too have used my iphone with the MFT and like K-Rod, I too have a dead MFT screen now. Coincidence????? Maybe. I am very happy with the way it connects:
1. Get in the car (phone connects via blue-tooth instantly)

2. Press voice command and say "Blue-tooth audio, play" and bang your iPod appears on the screen and begins playing.

You can change songs by using the iPod itself, the touch controls on the radio, the MFT touch screen, or even the scan button on the steering wheel. Sounds great too.

iPhone doesn't do text messaging as I can tell right now. But who cares, the Blue-tooth phone controls are really clear and there is no vehicle background noise when talking on the phone to someone. Its much easier too as sync downloads your phonebook and voice commands control the entire thing.

You never even have to take your phone out of your pocket anymore.

Cant wait to get mine back and find out why the screen died.

It doesn't do text messaging. My understanding is that Android phones do, but unfortunately iPhone does not.

Man I hope so! From what I have seen, the phones that support text are either the BB torch or at best a feature phone.

The music controls are great. I use the car (button or voice) to control music. Buttons will skip tracks on pandora.

On my sync 1.x I have had a dedicated zune for a long time. I used a 320 GB hard drive for a while, but it was a waste since it couldn't index even a full 30GB player. I'm hoping MFT has more storage space or indexes to the device better.

I just checked and with the iPhone plugged into the USB slot it does show you the song info and album art and lets you browse the device for artist, etc. Although it does play through the Bluetooth connection, that's about all you get. There is a setting that says index through Bluetooth, but choosing it didn't make any difference. Bottom line for your concern is that you will be able to control the device through the vehicle.

Question: I have a iphone too. In my iPhone each caller has a picture attached to their contact information. I was wondering how you get the picture of the person you are calling or caling you to show up on the MFT screen when the call comes in/goes out? I see there is a space for picture. Any suggestions?

I have a question about this too. I noticed on the input, below the MFT interface, there is a place for a video input. What is this for? Will it display video on the MFT display? If so, has anyone tried to use the Iphone Video Out kit and display video on here? I was thinking I might be able to stream my Netflix to the car this way. I could not find any information as to what the video input jacks were for.

Dismania

You need to be in park for the video input.

I'm sure there will be a hack sooner or later...

I have a question about this too. I noticed on the input, below the MFT interface, there is a place for a video input. What is this for? Will it display video on the MFT display? If so, has anyone tried to use the Iphone Video Out kit and display video on here? I was thinking I might be able to stream my Netflix to the car this way. I could not find any information as to what the video input jacks were for.

Dismania

I bought the iPhone vid cable hoping to play movies from the phone. The problem is that for whatever reason the phone won't deliver video that the MFT can use/display. Audio is fine, but no vid.

I bought the iPhone vid cable hoping to play movies from the phone. The problem is that for whatever reason the phone won't deliver video that the MFT can use/display. Audio is fine, but no vid.

Hmm, assuming the iphone is using it's own codec to play the video, it should output fine to the MFT screen, it's just a video feed in the end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, assuming the iphone is using it's own codec to play the video, it should output fine to the MFT screen, it's just a video feed in the end.

My thoughts exactly, but it never worked. Not done messing with it yet.

Back