New ARB Safari Snorkel

DasFrem

Elite Poseur
Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2 '97 sports
So after hearing plenty of horror stories about hydolocking and having a close call myself I decided I needed a bit of protection. I looked around and the only manufacuter of snorkels was ARB, and of course they didn't make one for an Explorer. So I go and do what most of us Explorer owners do and build one myself.

The thing I really loved about the ARB models was the fact that they have these channels built into the intake scoop that would remove water, say if you're driving in the rain. I went down to a local 4x4 shop and ordered just the intake scoop. BTW, this was back in October, the part was on backorder from Australia so it didn't arrive until last week. Anyhow, since cutting into my conical airbox would be a *****, I decided to swap it out for the box type off Spas' 98 SOHC since she got a KKM (Thanks Spas!). Now of course my intake tube is too big to just fasten on to the end of the MAF, so I cut apart my old box, and fabbed up an adapter to make it all work. I drilled a 4" hole in it with a 3" PVC 90 degree piece that went into a 2.5" PVC conduit. The 2.5" conduit is 3" on the outside which matched the snorkel's diamater. I cut a hole in my fender and trimmed it a million times before it all lined up, bolted it all down with conduit hangers and then, since the 3" PVC bend didn't exactly fit the 2.5" conduit I used PVC glue and great stuff all over the place to seal it all (wear gloves when working with this crap, it doesn't like to come off your hands and it gets on everything).

So it came out looking better than I thought it would, and was cheaper than buying a whole snorkel system from ARB and hoping you could make it adapt. There's a couple of bonus advatages to having it too. First, you're getting cold air from outside, it works like a ram air, and it sounds badass having your intake right next to your window. So lets get on with the pics!:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

1808snorkel1.jpg

1808snorkel2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice ;)

I thought about doing this, but I have vulnerable stuff below my intake so that's not the limiting factor. Also, a setup like that would probably starve my supercharger for air.

It looks great on your truck. Make sure all your breather lines and electricals are protected now.

Looks awsome! Now you'll drowned before the X does!!:D

Damn! Looks store-bought! :D Good job!

I don't think that would pass California smog inspection. I guess you don't have that worry in NY?

that's awesome. looks good!

Nice work! Good job.

Very nice! that'll go on my in the furture as well once i get into college and don't car about drilling a 3" hole in the fender!

We have emmissions testing here in NY, but I'm registered in TN so I don't have to bother with any of my inspections.

Alec- I've still got to extend breather lines, and try and figure out a way to protect the computer and vital stuff, I don't really want to ford streams that are that deep, but it's good to have some protection.

I like it!!! That inspires me. But I am having trouble seeing how the snorkel comes into the airbox. I looked at the pic over and over and just couldn't see it. How does it run from the outside of the fender to the airbox or MAF?

how much did the arb snokel parts cost you?
just wondering because doing the same things. But didn't way.

looking good matt, ready to put it to the test if i ever get around to organizing a run down in the pines this year? :)

That is possibly the best home made snorkel I have ever seen. Great job on the fender trimming also, it looks very professional.

Alaskan Jack, there's a 90degree PVC bend that goes right into the bottom of the box where I drilled a 4" hole for it, there's also a 4" hole in the fender wall that the PVC goes though. there's only like .5"-1" gap between the box and the fender wall.

On side note, I was just looking at the pic of my air box there and realized that I didn't exaclty tighten my fender bolts down. I should do that over lunch or something.

I must be missing something because I don't see where it breaks off to the snorkel...

Any pics of the air duct routing? I want to ditch my air box and this does look sweet.

I have plans for the wasted space the air box is taking up... :D

He still has a stock airbox in the stock location. I do believe.

Well, it's sort of stock, it's a stock airbox out of an SOHC instead of the round one that came on my OHV. I cut a hole behind the fender and into the airbox where I stuffed a 3" PVC 90degree bend pipe. I don't have a pic of it because it's behind the fender.

Good job, looks great!

Matt, this summer I am planning to route PVC exactly as you have inside the fender to make a snorkel, but mine will be a "slealth" snorkle and breathe through the intake in front of the windshield instead of exiting upwards back out of the fender.

My question to you is concerning the 2.5" size of the PVC pipe you fit inside the fender. I want to go bigger. Was there enough extra space to route a 3" pipe inside the fender, or is 2.5" as big as you can get in there?

BTW, good job on your snorkel, looks great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Gearld, Um, I'm not sure if 3" will work, it might, but it was pretty tight with the 2.5". One thing you'll have to do is cut out the box that's in there. I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's like a renforcement box type thing behind the fender that you have to cut out in order to fit it back there.

Back