Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Well damn it all... New Year's falls on a Thursday this year :( Every year for the last 7 I've tried to spend with my fellow Exploder owners, but I don't see a middle-of-the-week run being very feasible. But I still want to see your smiling, sometimes psycho faces to start my year off right, so I'm posting this poll to see where y'all would like to go and if anyone other than me will show up :p:

The choices are:

Rausch Creek, PA
0608081600_Small_.jpg

Pine Barrens, NJ
attachment.jpg

Freeland/Hazleton, PA
0921081247b_Small_.jpg

Sad choices, I know :rolleyes: Each has its own positive attraction, however: RC would obviously be that we'd be in a well mapped wheeling facility, the Pines have tons of open space as well as being feasible to stockers, And Freeland/Hazleton has a lot of public (but unmarked) trails that range from mild to as difficult as you wanna make them. Freeland/Hazleton will almost certainly be the only option that offers snow on the ground, too. (SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!)

I say January 3-4, what do you say? Please only vote if you actually plan on attending, thanks!

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't know what the pine's are like any more what can and can't be wheeled would really have to look into that one first so i would say something in PA or even just all chillin some where don't need to wheel to have a good time

D.J.O.R. is pretty well versed on what is and isn't legal in the 'Barrens, and they've had very few problems wheeling there. As long as we stay out of the posted no trespassing areas and wheel responsibly, there won't be any issues. Freeland is the same way.

if i get another explorer by then ill come,if not ill still go,as long as ya dont mind my j**p,id rather the barrens,no 2 hr drive and dont have to pay to get in,most state parks in jersey are legal to wheel,there is also lebanon which is now brenda t. byrne state park,route 70 & route 539 (site x),lacey materials and others

Looks like that Pine Barrens photo was taken in a pit, which has dubious legality (that's not a no, but it's not a yes).

How much of the Hazleton trails are old Paragon?

Not sure if I can make it 100%, but I'm in for whatever.

How much of the Hazleton trails are old Paragon?

None, unfortunately. Paragon is routinely patrolled by 4x4 security and I'm pretty sure they'll prosecute trespassers now. That's not to say that people don't still sneak in, but it's not something I'd want to attempt with a large group of people ;) The trails throughout Freeland wind around the same coal mine-like area, and with a few inches of snow on the ground they can go from Easy to "Hey, can somebody pull me out?" :D There are also washouts, man-made obstacles, and some incredible views from the mountain sides.

0920081510a_Small_.jpg

The trails throughout Freeland wind around the same coal mine-like area, and with a few inches of snow on the ground they can go from Easy to "Hey, can somebody pull me out?" :D There are also washouts, man-made obstacles, and some incredible views from the mountain sides.

Sounds awesome, and I've never been. That's my vote.

im down to try and come... truck problems permiting lol .. but im not down to pay to get in.... or drive very far im thinkin like an hour-hour and a half are my max.... and preferably sat which leaves sunday to sleep in and recoup!!

I vote for rc or hazelton, both are about the same distance from me. RC mainly because it has better wheelin. Ill also be leavin on the 4th for utah :p: so ill probably just make it an overnight trip.

Everyone forget about this thread? Any action planned or is it dead?

Naw, it's not dead. Sorry I haven't updated it lately but there *has* been quite the lack of interest :( I know the majority of the votes went to the Pine Barrens, but due to questionable legality I don't think it's a good idea. Sorry to offer the choices and then go back on them, however, I don't want to get arrested for tresspassing and nor do I want that to happen to any of you. So the New Year's run is going to be held at Rausch Creek on both January 3 AND 4th. I reserved a single hotel room at the Comfort Inn for Friday and Saturday nights for myself, two of the Jeepers from Get-BentOffroad.com and a friend from Pirate (we always share to cut costs, plus it means hilarious parties ;)). If anyone else DEFINITELY is going and wants another room I need to know asap. I'll be up Friday night around 10pm or earlier (I hope!).

Anyone else still want to go?

well,i know my truck wont survive at rc..either way im heading to wharton,not as far as a drive,and its also legal,and free

I'm really thinking about a wrench fest over Christmas to get the Explorer to a point where I want to wheel it again.

At which point I would vote for Rausch...

It will survive Rausch just fine, man. I've had stock vehicles keep up with us on trails you wouldn't believe, just ask Surrealnj! We have a stock Grand Cherokee going with us, and there are always bypasses if you don't feel comfortable with an obstacle. I don't push my own truck as hard as I should because A) It's my daily driver and B) I'm a pussy like that :p:

Jake! Git 'er done! :D

I'm planning on doing a 1-day'er, most likely Saturday, unless Sunday's weather is better.

I'd love to go but I don't think my truck will fit on the trails? It's got 46" tires and locked front and rear. I also have a big winch on the front but I don't know if it's enough to get all 52,000 lbs unstuck. I'm not worried about scratching the paint but it is worth about $800,000 dollars and I don't think I can afford all the repairs. What do you all think? I have included a picture of my truck, any feedback would be appreciated. :p

Also bump for what should be a good run. Rausch creek is fun, wish I could be there. Maybe next year.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 181

doug i think it will do fine just not sure about the part that hangs out from the front bumper

Looks like this should work for me as long as I tie up the loose ends. which I can do on Friday.

I got my bodylift out, which shouldn't have been too bad except I didn't really consider what removing it would do when I did my SAS. I had to cut a big hole in my floor where the doubler would have contacted the floor. I also moved my fuel cell to inside the cab after I took out the rear seats. I haven't used them for quite some time, so they are gone. I wanted to relocate the axle end of my trac bar, but I may wait till I decide what I want to do with my front coils.

See ya'll on the trails!

Doug: You're still insane :D What is this next year BS? YOUR ASS BETTER BE ON THE TRAIL FOR CARLISLE!

Justina: Are you still coming down, and what day/time?

Jake: Holey moley, Batman! Hope you covered up the holes, Five tells me it's super icy and very cold at RC. But he had a blast with some Jeeper buddies there last weekend :)

I'll be up Friday night, cell is 443.299.7715 if anyone needs me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I covered up the big ones until i ran out od gas for the welder. I'll finish it up on Friday if I get a chance.

BTW... Any chance Morgan has good body mounts, I'm in need of a few :D

Back