• Register Today It's free!

Not the average lift kit question

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Went to 4 Wheel Parts to check the price of a lift kit. I wanted the extended radius arms, so he suggested the Super runner kit from super lift. I went home and got on the web site. I don't see the radius arms listed on the web site. \
It's possible I misread the list.
* Superunner
* Master Lift Kit
* 5.5 in. Frt/Rr Lift
* Incl. Coil Springs
* Brkt Kits
* Pitman Arm
* Sway Bar Brkt
* Superide Shock Absorber/Boot
Has anyone installed this kit? does it have radius arms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I would check with 4wheelparts and make them answer that...They order using P/n's....One kit includes it as 1 P/N...Another kit may not include it and have a different P/N...;)

....Some people make Hybrids of these kits...For example, you could buy Skyjacker brackets and radius arms, and then the rest of the parts from Superlift...:hammer:

that's the kit that i installed on mine last week. part number is K491. that is the basic kit, but there's also the "super runner" version of that kit that includes the extended radius arms... otherwise, you just get the radius arm drop brackets.

that's the kit that i installed on mine last week.

Thanks Turbo, That goes along with what he said at the store. I was originally looking at the basic kit, then I said i wanted extended arms instead of drop brackets. That's when he suggested the Super runner kit.

So i guess I am going to drop $1600 next week. That includes stainless brake lines, shocks, and the super runner kit. I'm torn though. I only want a 4" lift, but the 5.5" is $300 cheaper. But I only want 33s and I want to keep as much fuel economy and drive ability as possible.
what do you guys think?

5.5" is cheaper because it goes spring over axle. 4" buys you new rear leafs.

1) If you want fuel economy you will need gears. Go with 4.56, don't let anyone talk you into 4.10s, newer more powerful explorers come stock with 4.10s. Gears cost another $1,000. It is not a do-it-yourselfer however installing that lift could be much easier than gears.

2)Extended radius arms are nice for driving and wheeling.

3) If it were me, I would buy the skyjacker kit or the james duff kit before the superlift. I don't think you need superrunner steering (is that even part of the superrunner upgrade or is it just the arms?)

$1600 does not get you the steering too! LOL

Skip SUPERLIFT

get SKYJACKER or JAMES DUFF for a good TTB starter kit
Superlift is not bad, but for the money there is better :)

Superlift coils are VERY STIFF
Skyjacker kit rides amazing!
GET the extended radius arms, otherwise you mine as well install a body lift only

$1600 does not get you the steering too! LOL

Skip SUPERLIFT

get SKYJACKER or JAMES DUFF for a good TTB starter kit
Superlift is not bad, but for the money there is better :)

Superlift coils are VERY STIFF
Skyjacker kit rides amazing!
GET the extended radius arms, otherwise you mine as well install a body lift only

After scouring this site I have learned that the skyjacker cracks or breaks a lot. I definitely want the radius arms.

I was planning on 4.56 gears. I am a mechanic, I have a whole shop at my disposal. rear ends are nothing new to me.

I don't think the steering is part of that. It does come with a pitman arm. I didn't know the springs were so stiff. I need to do some more research.

Superlift had some SERIOUS issues with their suspension kits when they first came out
over the years they redesigned their drop bracket and radius arms like 4 times

it was punching HOLES in the front diff
ALso their radius arms were cracking

The Skyjacker kit uses BEEFED up drop brackets and has for years, they are considered the strongest drop brackets for the TTB beam pivots in both 6" and 8" kits
I have not heard of Skyjacker lift kit strength issues? where did you fond this info?

You will not have any fitment or strength issues with Skyjacker parts, that cannot be said about Superlift

If you are really looking for performance from a TTB and not just looks, you may consider going with a custom beam setup instead of drop bracket lift :)

the superrunner steering is definitely not part of the kit. it's an expensive little bugger. however, i have not heard one bad word about the steering system they offer. hell, there's guys that hate super lift that swear by that steering system. the front springs are pretty stiff, but as far as normal driving goes, it's not that rough of a ride at all. my wife even says that she can't tell a difference in the ride of the truck... only handling. lol. i went with the 5.5" inch because it was so much cheaper and i also run 33's right now. i think it looks fine.

done.jpg

haven't actually gotten to wheel it yet because three days after i got the lift done, the motor took a crap on me. i'll be swapping it this weekend so i'll report back on it's actuall ability either this weekend or next. the only think that i would suggest you make sure you get is the extended brake lines. i didn't and it was a pain in the ass making the stock ones work. also, get a steering stabalizer. they can be had for less than $60 and you'll regret not getting one. also... regear! i still have the 3.73's in mine and it's a DOG! lol.

hope this helps.

good info guys.
What is a custom beam setup? is that the extended radius arms?
How is the handling Turboranger? I know that lifting the truck will affect it, but I don't want it to handle like ****. I am planning on regearing, I was thinking of finding a full width rear axle with the 4.56 and disk brakes. If I can find a donor, I can get complete axles for $150 all day. I have to pull it my self of course. A buddy at the shop suggested I try to find one for the front too. I think that will be next to impossible, and then, this lift thread will be obsolete. Besides a solid front axle will drastically effect handling.
The reason I am so worried about handling is when i travel to the trails. I live in Memphis TN. There is nothing around here really. I usually have to travel at least a 3 hour drive to find anything good. I usually will have a canoe or kayak on top too. I would like to traverse some harder trails so i can get to the places I can't with my 31s and 2" lift.
I'm looking for performance, not looks. I don't want to break on the trail 150 miles from anything. I'm not going to trash my truck either. I take care of it. I don't go mudding (on purpose). I won't be doing much rock crawling, but sometimes it is part of the trail. I don't have much money, But I am willing to pay for what I want. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can pay for quality and not get it. I'm trying to avoid that. I'm going to install an E-locker in the rear, maybe the front but later.
Is skyjacker with the supper runner steering the way to go? Or the full width solid axle front and rear. Whats the best for my needs?

good info guys.
What is a custom beam setup? is that the extended radius arms?
How is the handling Turboranger? I know that lifting the truck will affect it, but I don't want it to handle like ****. I am planning on regearing, I was thinking of finding a full width rear axle with the 4.56 and disk brakes. If I can find a donor, I can get complete axles for $150 all day. I have to pull it my self of course. A buddy at the shop suggested I try to find one for the front too. I think that will be next to impossible, and then, this lift thread will be obsolete. Besides a solid front axle will drastically effect handling.
The reason I am so worried about handling is when i travel to the trails. I live in Memphis TN. There is nothing around here really. I usually have to travel at least a 3 hour drive to find anything good. I usually will have a canoe or kayak on top too. I would like to traverse some harder trails so i can get to the places I can't with my 31s and 2" lift.
I'm looking for performance, not looks. I don't want to break on the trail 150 miles from anything. I'm not going to trash my truck either. I take care of it. I don't go mudding (on purpose). I won't be doing much rock crawling, but sometimes it is part of the trail. I don't have much money, But I am willing to pay for what I want. I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can pay for quality and not get it. I'm trying to avoid that. I'm going to install an E-locker in the rear, maybe the front but later.
Is skyjacker with the supper runner steering the way to go? Or the full width solid axle front and rear. Whats the best for my needs?
when it comes to handeling, like i said, get a steering stabalizer right off the bat. when i first did the lift, i had the front sway bar still connected. with it, the handeling really wasn't bad at all. it was a bit more top heavy, but the only compensating i had to do was slow down just a bit more around corners. i've since taken the front sway bar off (already had the rear gone). it's just like before, but, again, it just feels like it's got a bit more roll to it. nothing that i would call unnerving in any way... just slow down a bit on the corners. as far as the rest of driving goes... honestly, i don't feel a whole lot of difference from stock. if anything, mine actually rides better. the factory suspension was WORN OUT. lol.

I have the SuperLift 4" lift on my Explorer with the extended arms. I have no issues with the arms , but the passenger side frame rail drop bracket will break(I have broken 2, 1 Ranger/1 Explorer)I have a write-up here......
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230697&highlight=Superlift+fix
on how to fix/stop it from breaking. Do this before install or you will be pulling it off later. I haven't had anymore problems since I did this fix.

I have not heard of Skyjacker lift kit strength issues? where did you fond this info?

+1
I wanna know this also.
My Superlift cracked & broke, but not a single issue since going to Skyjacker.

however, i have not heard one bad word about the steering system they offer. hell, there's guys that hate super lift that swear by that steering system.

Well, I guess I'll be the 1st one to mention it to you then... :D
The Superlift Superrunner Steering kit doesn't align the tierods with the axle properly (the centerlink is up way too high). However after you modify it to drop it down about 2", the improvements this kit brings are quite impressive.
This is unfortunate, as Superlift had a great idea with this kit, they just missed the mark when designing it (the Skyjacker "extreme" drop pitman arm (pt# FA600) on the stock linkage actually works much better than an out-of-the-box Superlift steering kit).

While I don't necessarily swear by Superlift's steering kit (the one I run has been modified), I do like it's K-link design. It's simple, easily clears everything on a 4WD axle & suspension, and can be built extremely rugged if you were to build one yourself from scratch.:cool:

Back