OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan??? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan???

I'm bypassing the dumb dash gauge and messages. I turned up an electric oil pump I bought countless years ago. It's a Moroso(#4030) pre-lubing pump, with a cute little four wire control box, and I've misplaced the instructions. I'm sure it was for a turbo application, but I can deal with it. I have a low pressure sensor on my SOHC to turn on my headlights. It's a NOs sensor to disable a fuel pump. I'll use another like it to trigger the extra oil pump. When I turn on the key, the pump will build pressure. When the engine starts, oil pressure will turn off the pump. I just need to wire in a light to show pump activity, and add another oil pressure gauge. Much to do,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, thanks for staying with me here

I have the front just about dis assembled, the cv axles are out and knuckles are hanging like little wings on just the lower ball joints. The front axle is ready to drop now. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to help me get it down, and, hand tools.

I wish that I was there, I'd get some work done. I hope it does come out for you.

It was a pain in the ass for me when I was trying to pull it from just a chassis with no body on it! %$#!@&*

I got this steering rack challenge down now, dang JT we wish you were closer...

intermediate shaft = simple, inner tie rods = simple, I sure hope you can replace the oil pan without pulling the engine!!!

Thanks for reading.

OK, I have the undercarriage dis assembled. The trans pan is spported as is the passenger accessory bracket--motor is high up.

I have the pan dropped low enough that I could get to the oil pump bolts and pickup bolt. Then I could easily get the pan out.

I have heard of people changing crankshafts in the car--why can't I remove just the oil pump, and bolt it back in once I get the new pan in place?

What about the oil pump drive shaft? Will it fall out also?

Excellent, you have almost got it then. The oil pump shaft will or should fall out, but it can be put back in, just carefully. It sounds like you are going to win the fight, well done.

Curious, do you recall checking the oil pickup clearance in your engine? I noticed my pickup wasn't going to set right with the bigger ARP main studs, and I already had the pan touching something. My pan was touching the two rear stud nuts at the back edge, and the pickup was right on the pan. I spent a good 15 minutes bending and re-bending the pickup arm. I need to recheck the clearance once more before bolting it on. The steel pan fit better over the parts, but evidently the 97 engine that it came from had been beaten on a bit, dented drain plug etc. I was going to use that until I noticed it tweaked and not setting flush. So I'm back to the aluminum pan that needed a little clearancing as mentioned.

Excellent, you have almost got it then. The oil pump shaft will or should fall out, but it can be put back in, just carefully. It sounds like you are going to win the fight, well done.

Curious, do you recall checking the oil pickup clearance in your engine? I noticed my pickup wasn't going to set right with the bigger ARP main studs, and I already had the pan touching something. My pan was touching the two rear stud nuts at the back edge, and the pickup was right on the pan. I spent a good 15 minutes bending and re-bending the pickup arm. I need to recheck the clearance once more before bolting it on. The steel pan fit better over the parts, but evidently the 97 engine that it came from had been beaten on a bit, dented drain plug etc. I was going to use that until I noticed it tweaked and not setting flush. So I'm back to the aluminum pan that needed a little clearancing as mentioned.

I could measure for you--I think. I will try to get something in there-

Although, I would also assume , since the pickup has a curved face-if it was touching the pan it may not make a difference.

Well mine is round, flat and round. It was touching just a hair, but I also had the stud nuts touching at the back, keeping the pan pushed forward and not seated. The steel pan even touched the larger oil pump bolt heads, without a gasket.

LOL, some numb nuts on another site noticed his new oil pump bolts being larger, he swapped them for the old pump bolts.

if it isn't one thing.........
i know the feeling. good luck

wow I am impressed! Lets see some pics?
New pan is on its way to ya!!

did you unbolt the trans mount

wow I am impressed! Lets see some pics?
New pan is on its way to ya!!

did you unbolt the trans mount

Yes the trans mount ( crossmember ) is out.

I do have some pictures of my pretty crank shaft, but, was surprised to see main bolts and no studs--hmmmm

Anywhoo I called him on it and sure enough I was not charged for them according to my receipt. He said" remember?, I couldn't get them to work"

I don't, but I also had a house being remodeled at the time the engine was being built.

I showed the situation to Sheri, and explained how the front crossmember was the whole problem--:cool:

I explained how it could be removed, and a stronger axle installed to replace the independent front. She asked why I didn't do that then, instead of all the trouble I am going to now--

Pictures in a minute.

I explained how it could be removed, and a stronger axle installed to replace the independent front. She asked why I didn't do that then, instead of all the trouble I am going to now--

doesnt every explorer owner want to hear that from their wife?

Oh
I forgot to mention the rear lower control arm drop bracket--
if you have no suspension lift you will have way more room to work with.

OK
Here you can clearly see ample space to remove the oil pump and pickup

oilpumpseen.jpg

This is my pretty crankshaft--

boltsandcrank.jpg

The truck is all tooken aparts

tookenapart--lol.jpg

And here is the mess to prove it--

whatamess.jpg

holy crap, that is alot of parts,,
now, put pan on, put it all back,,
looks great ,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back