Paul's 2011 Ranger FX4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's 2011 Ranger FX4

Close to the epicenter of COVID-19/Wuhan Virus (Washington state), so had the chance to tele-commute for work today. . .

So. . .

RAPTOR LIGHTS ! ! ! !
Raptor Lights (MAR 20).jpg

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry just had to :D

Switch upgrade . . .

Haven't finished the job yet, but knew I'd eventually upgrade the switches - - the "temporary" location wasn't really getting it done. Glad I didn't cut up the dash, but the switches are a bit out of reach. . . and I know I'll add more electronics. So the solution was to mount the switches overhead, like I had in the Sport. Actually "harvested" the shelf from the Sport in order to mount the new switch panel.

So here's what I'm going with - - gang of six with built in voltmeter and two USB ports.
Switch.1 (MAR 20).jpg

The panel is set up for flush mount, but since it'll sit on a shelf, I need to fabricate a 'box' for it. Photo above is some rough fitting.

Happened to have some vinyl on hand that was gray enough to match the interior, and started "crafting". . .
Switch Box (MAR 20).jpg

Here's what it should like once all mounted up, but still a work in progress:
Switch.2 (MAR 20).JPG

Paul

Maybe getting ahead of myself, but . . .
SVT.2 (MAR 20).jpg

(new badge . . . )

Paul

Wait, did I miss something? Is your sport gone?

Wait, did I miss something? Is your sport gone?

Kinda. . .
Explorer Wreck (MAR 17).png

Damage wasn't catastrophic, but tweaked the frame and vehicle was "totaled". It's been languishing up at Kevin's (DiffWhack) shop for three years . . .

Here's the full story: Paul's '91 Sport (registry)

Been wrestling with what to do with the Sport - - throw money into a salvage titled vehicle doesn't make sense; another option is buying a clean Sport (getting harder to find) and swapping the good stuff; or take the best parts for another vehicle, but just maybe not a first generation Sport.

So that's where I'm at - - tough since I've owned the Sport since 1993. . .

Paul

Here's the final product . . . now just need to wire up some more accessories. . .
Switch Done (MAR 20).jpg

Per GPS, only 18 hours to Moab . . .

Paul

That is so sad. I loved everything about your sport. sell me the atlas for cheap for my ranger?

Hey no fair!!! I'm closer.
I would be interested in the sport, heck I would be interested in rebuilding that thing for you! Just needs a frame and some body right? Pfffft lets get started!
Such a nice vehicle! Sports are sooo capable on the trail make Jeeps look like children's toys

sell me the atlas for cheap for my ranger?

Nope, will go in my Ranger first. . . However, I do have a set of killer 3/4 doors that "might" fit your Ranger. . .

I would be interested in rebuilding that thing for you! Just needs a frame and some body right?
Struggled with that option for years. . . In the end I don't even drive the Ranger that much (commute by motorcycle) so hard to justify another RBV built for trail use that will sit parked 350 days a year. But, have looked at a few Sports here that could be the base for swapping over all the good stuff. . .

Paul

How many years can it just sit there? Gotta do something!!

I sold my beloved 96 explorer because it was just sitting.....too many vehicles cannot justify just letting it sit there. Was a very hard thing to do.... Now I miss it, but what can you do? Just trucks! I used the money to get snow tracks for my Rzr....now those are fun! I only get to use those a few days a year to, but when I do I have a huge smile

Not all lights and decorative badging. . .

Work weekend up at Kevin (Diff Whack)'s melding two great Explorers into one, and got a little bit or work done on the Ranger. Was seeping gear oil from the rear diff pinion seal so swapped that out and replaced the axle seals. . . Was "hoping" that the last year Ranger FX4 had the 8.8 with the 31 spline axles, but not to be - - just 28 splines (guess it was only the first FX4 (2002[?]) and the "Level II"s that had the 31 splines...
Pinion Seal (MAR 20).jpg

Did have to dress it up a bit, since we're down there getting stuff done. . .
Diff Cover (MAR 20).jpg

B&M 40297. Went from five pints (80 ounces) of gear fluid per Owner's Manual to five quarts! That ought to keep it nice and cool back there. . .

Paul

That is alot more oil. I would keep an eye on overfilling it (higher that factory level). That can cause a pinion seal or wheel seal to leak. Ask me how I know...

I agree do NOT fill that rear end up to that fill hole you will flood the tubes and oil will push out the vent line, axle seals and pinion seal

Instead use that hole to fill but put in the recommended amount of gear lube (or fill it up to the factory fill plug)
The 8.8 in my BII has been turned up quite a bit, the pinion is turned up about 4-5 degrees from a normal 8.8 in an Explorer due to my short wheelbase. Because of this I cannot fill the rear axle all the way up to the fill hole or it floods the tubes and spits out gear lube from the breather. Took a while to figure this out....now I just fill it up with 1/2 quart less then recommended. It has been this way for 15+ years, these rear axles are strong

Nice that it has a drain!!

Thanks for input / advice. . . This cover is big, even larger than Mag Hy-Tec on the Sport. . . Fluid level is an inch below the fill hole, but now share your concern with stressing the seals so will probably drain out a bit. Guess it was smart to swap axles seals at the time . . .

Paul

1" below might be the correct level? Just pull the factory fill plug and let it drain till it stops :)

agree thats what I would do

Back at Kevin's shop to swap out the blocks that came with the new torsion keys with a few more leaf springs. Had to crank the torsion bars a bit higher for better clearance for the larger tires, and would prefer more leafs to blocks.

Got rid of these:
Leaf Block (APR 20).jpg

For these:
Leaf Springs (APR 20).jpg

These springs were out of Phil's (Albino94ltd) Explorer, Kevin bought it for the body and I'm taking some of the parts for the Ranger and a 'Sport to be assembled later.

Good ride height and rake (about 3/4" higher in bed), and with 180 lbs. on the trailer hitch only 1/2" compression. Can also put the OEM overload spring in the pack if I get any droop over time. . .

Paul

Next project. . .
Rock Sliders (JUN 20).jpg

Just too damn busy. . .

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back