PIAA 510 Relay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA 510 Relay

Can someone PDF the direction diagram of or take a digital photo of the PIAA relay for 510 bulbs (though I assume the 520 should be nearly identical)? I need the shot of where the wires attach, and if possible, a small explanation of what pin feeds what.

Before I buy, I am working on the wiring schematic to see if something is possible with the PIAAs. Thanks :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill,

From your PIAA experience, do you know function of each wire? That's the other big thing. :)

The big plugs go to the lights.
One wire goes to + battery & one to - battery.
Switch wire goes to + source( battery or low beans or ect.)
Switch wire to ground(-).
I have modded these harnesses so let me know what your thinking.
Just what your thinking about the lights; please.:D

I removed the PIAA relay/fuse holder from my PIAA 1500's, after blowing two of them I ripped one open and found its nothing more then a relay and 15 amp fuse built into a custom little PIAA box, I chose to wire my two PIAA lights the old fashioned way, with a seperate relay and fuse

I was not happy trying to find a replacement PIAA part

I am guessing these PIAA rounds could be wired simillarly

I have modded these harnesses so let me know what your thinking.
Just what your thinking about the lights; please.:D

One of these. A fellow at MyST.com figured a way to wire aftermarkets into the stock fog push button. I'm all about clean installs.

Fog%20Light%20Switch%20w%20info.jpg

FogLightSwitchIinfoKEN.jpg

Well I got antsy, bit the bullet, and picked up the 510s. Hey Bill--what now? :D

Nothing really revolutionary there... you'll just use the output from the factory switch to trigger the relay in the PIAA kit.

Of course, you'll also be foregoing the factory fog lights too, unless you splice the PIAAs in to work with them. (Not a big deal either)

-Joe

and you wanna do the tap into the parking lamp relay mod so you can have the fog lights on without the headlamps (and with hi beams)

Umm... where do I start splicing? :)

There are two wires comming off the relay going to the switch. One is ground and one is power. Splice the power wire to your OEM fog light wire and it all will come on at once. You may have to ground the other wire. I'm not sure.

Bill--

So disregard the OEM switch and the (3) [e.g., cut the switch from the black/white, and leave it + whatever PIAA calls (3) out of the setup] + Switch Power line, run the white (power) to the output on the OEM switch, and (assumedly) ground the black?

I'm no electrical engineer for sure...

^^Yup.^^
You may only have a single white wire comming out of the relay to the switch. Check it out once you get the lights.

Thanks, Bill.

The relay has two wires--B and W.

On a side note, the place I ordered from uses generic distribution/fulfillment centers across the country. The 510s shipped from a warehouse about 10 minutes from my parents' home, and 110 minutes from here. I got them the morning following the day I ordered.

Bill,

Can you check my "work"?

The right side of the relay is the coil side (the left is power in and out to lamps; thus, the right side controls the off/on).

Cuts must be made in two general locations: (1) coil out (black/ground) to junction (junction of grounds for both lights, coil out, and wire to battery negative); and (2) switch power in to coil in/ground to coil out (which, combined with (1), eventually leads to battery negative).

With respect to cut (1), tap the wire out of the coil out and run it to the stock switch "in" [pin 3] (essentially ground in). Then, tap stock switch "out" [pin 4] and run wire to other half of cut (1). Thus, coil out exits the relay, runs to the stock switch, comes back, and is tied to the junction.

With respect to cut (2), tap parking light source and connect white. This provides the positive power for the relay so that when the circuit is closed (the stock fog light switch is turned on), the circuit is complete and the relay coil allows the power to flow to the lights. The ground that comes from stock PIAA switch is not needed and is capped and taped.

Sound right? :)

The black wire goes to ground.
The white wire is connected to a power source. If connected to the parking lights, the lights will come on when the parking lights are turned on. Or if connected to the green wire (in the second diagram above) the new lights will come on with the fogs.
The PIAA switch is not used at all.

The black wire goes to ground.
The white wire is connected to a power source. If connected to the parking lights, the lights will come on when the parking lights are turned on. Or if connected to the green wire (in the second diagram above) the new lights will come on with the fogs.
The PIAA switch is not used at all.

Bill--

Yep--I want the lights accessible when parking lights are on (like the true stock fog lights). I can't imagine a situation where I'd use the PIAAs without having on some other lights.

Thanks for all the help with this. All that is left is the actual install and aim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait a min. Are you going yo use the PIAA switch? If not what is going to be your switch? If its the new switch in the surround than that is what the white wire is connected to.
Whatever power source you connect the white wire to is what will be turning on/off the new lights.

Back