Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

Ill start the show with my pic-

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

trucks_013_Medium_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MGalleryItem.php

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here's mine:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nick

Nick - what size is that camper? Length, weight, tongue weight?

Nick - what size is that camper? Length, weight, tongue weight?

Here the full specs, this is a 2006 Shamrock 23B, the same as the actual Jayco Jayfeather X23B:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,925
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 410
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 4,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,025
MEASUREMENTS
Exterior Length 24' 5"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 120"
Interior Height 78"
Front Bunk 60 x 78
Rear Bunk 60 x 78
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 72
Wheel Base 187-1/8"
TANK CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 28.5
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 29.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 22.5

The Forest River Shamrock 23B is not manifatured anymore

Nick

Hopefully it's not too late to get in on this thread :)

Here's my 1991 moving around an extremely heavy 80's truck box that used to be a crew transporter for the Idaho Correctional Institute for their fire crew. It's all steel and insulated with over 1" thick plywood for flooring. I wouldn't dare tow this on the road with my Explorer but with the transfer case in low, it did a fantastic job of moving it around the property to get it into position. In a little while, I'm actually returning the trailer empty back to it's owner, should be a breeze but interesting since I haven't towed anything this long before. The trailer measures in at just under 22 feet.

This is the trailer that I more usually tow. It's an old M101A1 military trailer from the late 60's. 1500 lbs dry with an underrated capacity of 2.25 tons. It's a nice size to match the Explorer but I'd like to get a frame mounted hitch before I really load the trailer up.

Flat towing the stupid Jeep around when I still had the Jeep. It handled those duties very well. 31's on the Merc and Locked out of OD meant I could comfortably tow at 65 mph (2500 rpms). TJ ran across the scales at 4k lbs trail ready:

p1152485239-4.jpg

.We use ours for light and heavy duty towing. It's a 1997 2 door sport 4x4 automatic. We have towed 3/4 a pallet of bricks, boats, and flatbed trailers.

My 1997 Mercury Mountaineer the day after I bought her, towing a 2003 Chevrolet Impala that my brother (pictured) just overheated and blew the head gasket out of.

It actually pulled it like a dream surprisingly, other than the bulldogging in the rear.

isr55yll.jpg

wNhJUdMl.jpg

Pulling our new camper home the day we got it.

20160226_164059_zps6uoz7ix2.jpg

Got the job done. Locked out OD, kept it 65 or below. Getting a sway control bar soon.

Here is Captain America dragging my Galaxie frame to the sand blaster. I originally towed the whole car out of a junk yard with my Explorer, but didn't get a picture. On flat highway with the throttle pinned I topped out at 55! It was a lot of car to be hauling with the Explorer.... The frame was much more manageable :)

023_zpstxmfad2q.jpg

Here is Captain America dragging my Galaxie frame to the sand blaster. I originally towed the whole car out of a junk yard with my Explorer, but didn't get a picture. On flat highway with the throttle pinned I topped out at 55! It was a lot of car to be hauling with the Explorer.... The frame was much more manageable :)
What year Galaxie? I really miss my 63.5...

Hey all,
Other than my intro post, this'll be my first. I'm an Explorer Forum FNG, but I saw this thread and couldn't resist! I'm proud to say that I just returned from an awesome road trip to Missouri to pick up our brand new 20 foot custom-built utility trailer! My little guy was in charge of making sure the trailer lugnuts were tight at every stop. He did a fine job and those wheels stayed on the trailer 'til we were safe at home.
Not only am I a forum newbie, but also a trailer-pulling virgin! :eek: Just over 162,000 miles on the ticker and she still pulls strong - thanks to all the sound maintenance advice of many fine people here on Explorer Forum!

1461729229.9137.jpg

Nice! That's a beautiful trailer. Anything in particular you're using it for?

My dad and I have matching explorers. I tow the camper with mine
ADB4E658-80E3-4380-9125-88EAAE8D308C_zpsfjmau5y9.jpg

19C8FA38-0A67-476B-85BE-8273234790DF_zpscki9r2o3.jpg

And I'm rolling with my weight distribution hitch

BC6EF813-4EF2-4CBD-93BF-C536432F3878_zps4phlpdt3.jpg

Nice! That's a beautiful trailer. Anything in particular you're using it for?

Thanks! Mainly using it to haul a '54 Chevy 210 around to various vendors for metalwork, paint, etc. Next trip is to Elmer, MO for metalwork - performed by a guy who worked with George Barris (RIP) on a few hot rod projects. For those unfamiliar with George Barris, he created the original Batmobile - a King among men!

That's awesome! Good luck with it!

just hauling some trash to my local transfer station here in RI...

Back