$%&@!# Plug Wires! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$%&@!# Plug Wires!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...just curious, did you have any luck with johnny cook's???

I will keep an eye on mine but I run Taylor wires on my 96 sploder with the TM headers, I also have heat socks and I have had no problems (that I am aware of) I do route my wires a bit different then you do, to help avoid the tight clearances I also was able to fit the TM supplied stainless heat guards around each spark plug inside th ehole in the head ALONG WITH the heat sock...

maybe that helps? I dunno

My BII has factory Motocraft wires with a simlar setup to the explorer, no problems that I am aware of

maybe I should turn off the lights in the garage and see if I can spot any arcing??

When this happens I assume you are getting a CEL?

Maybe my lack of fender skirts and my body lift allows cooler under hood temps? I dont know

I have found Taylor wires to be great and sturdy, but I have never paid over $60 for a set of the 8mm spiro ones...

I have had a slight missfire that didn't cause a CEL, but I could feel it on the highway with the cruise set. It eventually got bad enough to trigger a CEL.

Honestly, I believe I got a bad set of wires with an inferior blend of silicone- they must have been made on Friday afternoon.

The most disappointing is the way they handled my problem- they basically told me to buy another wire from them. I don't feel that I should have to pay for wires that I bought two months ago again.

An update-

I found a used set of taylor wires on here, bought them to replace my other set. At least one of them failed me on the way to Hot Springs this weekend- I removed my fender flap, had my wife hold the brake and load the engine- could clearly see the arcing to the header. I replaced that wire with one of my original motorcraft wires when we got there- I carry two spare wires at all times now. I still have a slight miss, I suspect another wire may be arcing somewhere and / or my plug wire is fouled out from not firing.

Lesson learned- I'll never buy another Taylor wire product.

That is a shame Evan, and worrisome. I have the best wires, from Magnecor. The boots of the plug wires are critical for tight areas, you indeed may need custom wires.

I have an engine with heads that locate the headers .400" higher, I might have issues with plug wires also.

FYI, the Magnecor wires have the best construction, heat resistance. The plug wire ends(angles) are key factors, but the silicone used is important also. The Magnecor wires used to be about $125 for an Explorer 302 set, $95 for the V6's. Don't go through their site, the retail was $190. Check with Horsepowerfreaks.com ...http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/cart///46035

They can do custom wires, but ouch that should be a last resort.

True, I salvaged all of those from a spare set given to me. I should have kept the wires also, they had very few miles on them.

I have a question-
At any time did you get a check engine light for the misfire?

I'm thinking no, since the coils were indeed firing-

ooops NM I read through and saw no CEL--

Back