• Register Today It's free!

Pressure? Temperature? Which one?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L SOHC JOB1 5-Speed Automatic 5R55E.

Can someone confirm the following? Thanks.

The EGR system uses a EGR Pressure Sensor... not a EGR Temperature Sensor, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L SOHC JOB1 5-Speed Automatic 5R55E.

Can someone confirm the following? Thanks.

The EGR system uses a EGR Pressure Sensor... not a EGR Temperature Sensor, right?

It uses a device called a DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR). This device is known to burn out on Explorers, to the point it burns a hole in its housing.

Thank you. That's what I thought. I appreciate the confirmation!

The silicone tubes will rip easy be careful

Yep. I already ripped one of my silicone DPFE hoses... trying to get it to go onto the hard line nipple that comes off of the exhaust.

@DILLARD000 - Thanks. Question for you: Does the DPFE send a simple "ON" or "OFF" to the PCM... or does the DPFE send a "variable / varying" output signal to the PCM?

Yes, you're correct, my DPFE has 3 wires. Thus, it sends a variable signal to the PCM. Thanks. Very helpful.

Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust

DPFE
Not diff press feedback element LOL

The challenging part of diagnosing this particular DANG emissions system is that the problem could be caused by any of 4 components. In order of operation, they are:
DPFE
PCM
EGR Valve Solenoid
EGR Valve

Not to mention any bad vacuum hoses and/or electrical wires and/or electrical connectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes so its time for a full visual inspection before buying any parts
The EGR sample tubes can be checked out, no cracks, tears or leaks, are they still supple or hard and brittle?
The metal EGR line and the gasket at the intake manifold, there is usually a large O ring there can be a source of leaks
The EGR valve itself you can do a quick simple vacuum test with engine running if you put vacuum to EGR valve (with your mouth) the engine should stall out = working EGR valve
The DPFE can be ohm tested and visually inspected

The best place to start though is the code, do you have a trouble code?

The code is P0401.

RECOMMENDATION - Do not buy a DPFE made by Labwork. Yes, they are inexpensive ($10). However, mine lasted less than 30-days before it broke.

The DPFE can be ohm tested and visually inspected
Not sure what you can ohm-test there, but it can be tested completely if you have a half-decent scanner and a way to make some vacuum. Disconnect those little tubes, pull a bit of vacuum on the downstream one, and you should see the DPFE output increasing as the vacuum increases. Without a scanner, you can simply measure the voltage directly on the output wire - it should move smoothly from about 1V to 5V. However, if your ride still has one of those older style aluminum body DPFEs, it would be a waste of time to even test it, because those were defective from the get-go -- mine failed with less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

Back