Project Bailed-Out | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Bailed-Out

Holy crap I had no idea how many folks were living in MO on here. I acquired an old members rig recently see my post here Back in a 1st Gen again!!.

I have driven it a few times, and I cannot say that I am not too impressed with the A4LD, as all of my previous explorers have been manual transmissions. The transmission was rebuilt with extra coolers, and it has 4.88's with 33's, but it still feels sluggish to me. Are the gear ratios between the auto and stick that much different?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're correct gman.

4.10s came in Explorers, Rangers, BroncoII and Areostars.

Both with open diffs and L/S Diffs.

I will try and stay with the explorer axle because of the capacity 3200 (taken from TRS) while the Ranger/B2/A-star had capacities of 2750/2640/2950 respectively.

This is partly incorrect. Explorers only came with the gear ratios I mentioned above in 91-94 and I have the factory Ford drivetrain manual to prove it. However, gman is right in that the ranger and even the Aerostar had a 4.10 option. As for D35 TTB 4.10s, you could only get those from a later model Ranger (otherwise it's that weird D28/D35 front diff) and very late model BII's (which usually came with D28's).

@mr cribb Yup im in lebanon. I am thinking i am going to pull the 4.0/a4ld from the black pearl (going 5.3 LS) and use the trans in this rig. I also have drove this rig and it is pretty sluggush with 3.27s (if i remember correctly) and 33s

@mr cribb Yup im in lebanon. I am thinking i am going to pull the 4.0/a4ld from the black pearl (going 5.3 LS) and use the trans in this rig. I also have drove this rig and it is pretty sluggush with 3.27s (if i remember correctly) and 33s

My first generation explorer that brought me here in 2010, had 3.27 gears in it, and it sucked even with the 30 x 9.5’s and 5 speed.

I’m considering doing a 5 speed swap on my latest one.

LS swap would be cool, I haven’t seen that done yet.

My first generation explorer that brought me here in 2010, had 3.27 gears in it, and it sucked even with the 30 x 9.5’s and 5 speed.

I’m considering doing a 5 speed swap on my latest one.

LS swap would be cool, I haven’t seen that done yet.

Yeah i have yet to see an LS in the stock-ish engine bay of a 1gen explorer. I have seen a lot of prerunner explorers with it, but most of them build the engine bay around the engine with tube so i dont really count that. I have seen tons of older/newer RBVs with them, but not a 91-94.

Let alone one with full width solid axles.

Well a little update, i received the title in the mail from the previous owner and the Pearl has be turned in the shop (for more room to work) in prep for the motor/trans/t-case to pulled, separated and the trans transferred to this rig. This project is sitting outside for now and i am waiting for the weather to warm up

Well this thread is dead :(

Traded the rig for a 79 bronco (don't worry it's not for me, and I still have my The Black Pearl.)

Long story short, as a teenager I was driving my dad's 79 bronco that he was restoring (after my mom passed away when I was 5 from cancer) and some dude ran a red light an totalled the bronco.

for about 10-12 years I have been looking for a 79 bronco with a 400ci and C6 to restore for him as a DD.

The plan is to restore it to a decent daily and give him the keys and title.

When the time comes to pull that one into the shop and start ripping apart I may start a build thread on it.

Back