Project Double R... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Double R...

Yes I have a issues I can't stop messing with these Fords. This is my personal project, but not my first SAS Ranger project built one for buddy and he helped me. Which was my 2nd Ford SAS my first Ford SAS was my DD Project Merc (98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8). Already have about 20k miles on the Merc in little over a year.
Merc build thread here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303902

The first Ranger SAS was TNT here is pic...
00003_Capture_4.jpg

My new Ranger just picked up April 15th 92 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 bad tranny picked it up for $750. Truck has 159k and pretty rust free just a few spots here and there. Code name Rock Ranger otherwise know as Double R.
20120415_180945.jpg

20120415_163234.jpg

Already sold the 8.8 and bed off it. I will be keeping this one pretty simple very similar to TNT.
Things I will be doing...
Trussed Cherokee High pinion Dana 30/ Explorer disc brake 8.8 4.56 gears.
Flatbed
Exo cage
Bronco II tank
Chevy 63-64" leafs
Shorten wheel base to 110"
And a lot more. Should be starting this beast next week I hope. Depends how the new kitchen goes for the boss(my wife for those not married).

And for those wondering why the Dana 30 they are cheap and parts are easy to come by. Which is nice if you do need replacement parts. The Mercs D30 has held up to over 13 trails and 35s with beadlocks without breakage so I would say it is very good axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wood really brings it together, i like it. How far forward did you move the rear axle? And that's good to know about the jeep front shaft, thanks for posting that:thumbsup:

I moved it forward 15 inches. I cut 18 inches off the frame. The flatbed is 4'-6" long but almost 5'-6" wide.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I drove the truck down the street today. Only have 1st gear so didn't go too fast. But the truck drives pretty good. Pulled it into the garage and got the old slush box out. Ready for the one I picked up today. Just hoping the one I got works.

Truck sits about the same height as the Merc. When I pulled the truck into the garage I checked to see how level it was. The back is 1/2" higher then the front. So pretty happy with that.
20120526_131958.jpg

20120526_131935.jpg

Got the old bad tranny out.
20120526_195343.jpg

Sliders are started.
20120526_065641.jpg

20120526_065728.jpg

New tranny is in and works good. The old one had about 1/4" of metal on the bottom of the oil pan poor truck. The boss wanted to take for a spin she likes it but says it needs shocks. LOL

20120527_153649.jpg

Man that shortened wheelbase looks good, makes me wanna do mine like that now. And that's a lot of wheel weights on that rear tire lol, they couldn't do the stick-on weights on the inside?

Man that shortened wheelbase looks good, makes me wanna do mine like that now. And that's a lot of wheel weights on that rear tire lol, they couldn't do the stick-on weights on the inside?

Thanks yeah I love this little truck getting tags for it Tues so I can start driving it next week. All I can say is Walmart mounted and balanced 8 carry in tires with new valve stems for 60 bucks. It took them 3 hours....:eek: Thank God I dropped them off and they were like we are out of sticky weights I was like just throw them on the outside I don't care cause I am doing weld on beadlocks soon. And you can see what I got. LOL ;)

And I already have a couple people asking if I am selling the truck...

Gears, lockers, and anti wraps today....

So pretty....
20120528_074009.jpg

4.56 gears and Detroit installed...
20120528_083752.jpg

20120528_072202.jpg

1 inch lift anti wraps on...
20120528_100314.jpg

All done...
20120528_112744.jpg

Front axle gears and locker after lunch...

love this build lots of inspiration keep it up man

Thanks man I just keep pushing cause I know if I let up for a day I will loose my motivation.

While I was painting the grill I taped the Ford badge on the flatbed going to get one from the Junkyard cause I like it.
20120528_195356.jpg

I think I will be ordering some new lenses too...
20120528_201050.jpg

Got the LED working. I had to order LED flasher cause the turn signals just stay on(truck thinks it has burnt out bulb). Should be here later this week.
20120528_212016.jpg

Went to the DMV to get tags for the truck turns out it has a Salvage title no biggie but I have to get the PO to sign some paper work before they transfer title. But they gave me a temp tag so I can drive it until then. That made me happy!

Went by a friends house and flexed out on his 5th wheel...

20120530_181513.jpg

20120530_181547.jpg

20120530_181608.jpg

20120530_181637.jpg

20120530_181659.jpg

20120530_181757.jpg

20120530_181926.jpg

20120530_182257.jpg

20120530_182247.jpg

Had people honking yelling and following me tonight in the Rock Ranger. LOL My boys were like why is everyone going crazy over the Ranger. I told them cause they like it.

Drove the truck over 100 miles today so far. Picked up some nice 2 door Explorer Sport seats for 60 bucks for the pair at my fav junk yard. Truck runs great and the AC even blows ice cold. Think it still has R12 in it. LOL Hauled a 8.8 with the truck for a customer. Pretty impressed with it so far. Not a speed demon but it can keep up with traffic without too much trouble. NO BUMP STEER at 70 mph and NO DEATH WOBBLE with my tiny track bar. And I still have not put the sway bar back on the front or rear. Truck is very stable in corners and the ride is comfy for a truck. And truck has been turning a lot of heads one guy almost ran his lawn tractor into a light pole cause he was too busy staring. HAHA

20120531_113748.jpg

one guy almost ran his lawn tractor into a light pole cause he was too busy staring. HAHA

Thats great! The truck looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Got the new Explorer seats in the truck. And wired up the power seat on the Drivers side. Pretty easy since the truck already had power lumbar. Seats are nice and comfy.

20120531_200952.jpg

This thing is stupid, and you should get rid of it right away. I'll PM you my address for drop off...

You and DB_1 are killing me with the rigs getting done and ready to go. I need to get some money together so I can build mine!

Any pictures of how/where you mounted the front leaf hangers? I imagine there is nothing in the way since you were able to do it. How much lift do you think you got from that as well as the 63s? I plan to shorten my wheelbase to about 115".

This thing is stupid, and you should get rid of it right away. I'll PM you my address for drop off...

You and DB_1 are killing me with the rigs getting done and ready to go. I need to get some money together so I can build mine!

Any pictures of how/where you mounted the front leaf hangers? I imagine there is nothing in the way since you were able to do it. How much lift do you think you got from that as well as the 63s? I plan to shorten my wheelbase to about 115".
LMAO!
My leafs are the 64" 3/4 ton ones they have 4 leafs. With the leafs and moving the mounts and adding 1 inch lift anti-wrap perches I scored about 7-8 inches. The 6" XJ coils in the front scored me about 7".

Here are some pics...
20120601_161445.jpg

You can see in this pic where the leaf mount used to be.
20120601_161506.jpg

I got the LED flasher I ordered. First I plugged it and nothing. I was like WTF is wrong with this thing. I didn't come with any instructions. So after some searching I realized that the prong marked X had to be powered. If it was GM I would be in business but Ford is backwards. So I pulled the fuse box down and reversed the pins. Works like a charm nice to have turn signals. I also fixed some more issues the PO had neglected.

Wife and I took the truck over to Sears to pick up the new Microwave we special ordered for the new kitchen. While I was waiting for them to bring the Microwave out two guys asked me what the truck used to be. I laughed and said it is Ranger. Then we were leaving a guy and his son were walking away from there Audi and son a toddler was like look dad. His dad wouldn't look but it was funny watching him tug on his arm to get him to look. Then as we cruised through the mall as we left there were a lot smiles and rubber necks. Truck is pretty cool don't think I have ever owned something that got so many looks. LOL Taking the truck to Super Cruise tomorrow night should be interesting. :D

20120601_155113.jpg

Back