Project Double R... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Double R...

Yes I have a issues I can't stop messing with these Fords. This is my personal project, but not my first SAS Ranger project built one for buddy and he helped me. Which was my 2nd Ford SAS my first Ford SAS was my DD Project Merc (98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8). Already have about 20k miles on the Merc in little over a year.
Merc build thread here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303902

The first Ranger SAS was TNT here is pic...
00003_Capture_4.jpg

My new Ranger just picked up April 15th 92 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 bad tranny picked it up for $750. Truck has 159k and pretty rust free just a few spots here and there. Code name Rock Ranger otherwise know as Double R.
20120415_180945.jpg

20120415_163234.jpg

Already sold the 8.8 and bed off it. I will be keeping this one pretty simple very similar to TNT.
Things I will be doing...
Trussed Cherokee High pinion Dana 30/ Explorer disc brake 8.8 4.56 gears.
Flatbed
Exo cage
Bronco II tank
Chevy 63-64" leafs
Shorten wheel base to 110"
And a lot more. Should be starting this beast next week I hope. Depends how the new kitchen goes for the boss(my wife for those not married).

And for those wondering why the Dana 30 they are cheap and parts are easy to come by. Which is nice if you do need replacement parts. The Mercs D30 has held up to over 13 trails and 35s with beadlocks without breakage so I would say it is very good axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Stang I believe that at one time you were talking about moving to a new house. Are those pics on facebook of the new house. If so looks like Double has a new playground.

SAS Dana 30

I just bought a 87 Bronco II and want to do an SAS. I was given a free Jeep XJ HP reverse cut Dana 30 and want to put it under the front to trash the TTB Dana 28. Could you give me any info on how you got the Dana 30 under the ranger? Its pretty much the same thing as the Bronco II. Also wat new parts will i need to buy/fab to mount the axle. Im looking at probably only putting 33s under it so i dont really require any major lift springs but wouldnt mind it. Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a 87 Bronco II and want to do an SAS. I was given a free Jeep XJ HP reverse cut Dana 30 and want to put it under the front to trash the TTB Dana 28. Could you give me any info on how you got the Dana 30 under the ranger? Its pretty much the same thing as the Bronco II. Also wat new parts will i need to buy/fab to mount the axle. Im looking at probably only putting 33s under it so i dont really require any major lift springs but wouldnt mind it. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my build on RS it is a little more detailed.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1224091#post1224091

Jeep Cherokee coils are about extra inch of lift on Ranger BII then they are on a Cherokee. There are so many different ways to skin a cat that you are better off to read and learn. A lot of guys have did some of things I did and did things others have done with some of the ideas I used. Ballistic Fab has a lot of the parts you will need.

I am no pioneer just took ideas I seen used in Jeeps and applied them to the Ranger platform. Which work very well.

Here is my build on RS it is a little more detailed.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1224091#post1224091

Jeep Cherokee coils are about extra inch of lift on Ranger BII then they are on a Cherokee. There are so many different ways to skin a cat that you are better off to read and learn. A lot of guys have did some of things I did and did things others have done with some of the ideas I used. Ballistic Fab has a lot of the parts you will need.

I am no pioneer just took ideas I seen used in Jeeps and applied them to the Ranger platform. Which work very well.

Thanks, this will help alot. Also would you recommend a welder? I have a big stick welder right now and was looking into getting a flux core mig. Any suggestions?

Thanks, this will help alot. Also would you recommend a welder? I have a big stick welder right now and was looking into getting a flux core mig. Any suggestions?

Hobart makes good bang for your buck welder. Steer clear of Harbor Freight there duty cycle is really low so you will have a lot of down time.

If you are looking for great welder for money that should do everything you need get the Hobart 187. It is 180 with 7 temperature settings. I bought mine from these guys I used it for 2 years before I upgraded to a Millermatic 212 two years ago.

http://www.toolking.com/hobart-5005...ned-handler-187-mig-welder?CAWELAID=430271099

Ok thanks. As far as bracketry and what-not, what all would I have to fab up for the swap or is there anyone, company/private seller, who sells what I need other than the Fabritech? Due to lack of a shop and proper fab tools, it would be pretty difficult for me to fab anything really. All I can do is weld/bolt on brackets and such. Oh the greatness of being poor. Ha

Ok thanks. As far as bracketry and what-not, what all would I have to fab up for the swap or is there anyone, company/private seller, who sells what I need other than the Fabritech? Due to lack of a shop and proper fab tools, it would be pretty difficult for me to fab anything really. All I can do is weld/bolt on brackets and such. Oh the greatness of being poor. Ha

There are a lot companies that sell weld on brackets. Try Ballistic Fab and Ruff Stuff.

Got some more goodies for Double R!!!

Parts for the 4 link....
20130107_171751.jpg

40" LED light bar for the roof!
20130109_195002.jpg

Couple 6" LED light bars for the bumper!!
20130109_194752.jpg

Some Expedition coils for the conversion...
20130103_102303.jpg

I couldn't wait so stuck the 40" LED bar on the cage!

Looks so clean and still clears the garage door by a mile...
20130110_151038.jpg

One of those deer in the head light moments for sure my eyes are still sore...
20130110_160327.jpg

I love it!!!
20130110_161841.jpg

Wow those are bright. But I cant find pricing. Do you happen to remember the cost of price ranges?

Back