Project M.O.A.B. . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project M.O.A.B. . .

. . . as in the Modular Operational Activity Base.

. . . or perhaps it's the U.T.A.H., or Utility Trailer Adventure Hauler ? ? ?

Anyway, I have a smaller motorcycle trailer from a company called Kendon - - it's a two rail trailer that folds and stands upright when not in use. Generally, I use it to haul one of the Buells to track days here in the Northwest, or "rescue" other scooter trash that have bike issues.

Here's a picture of the trailer with the Buells (track day/Sport bike in the foreground, daily commuter behind). . .
Bikes_zps093848c2.jpg

So, the goal is to modify this trailer so that I can use it for extended family camping trips, purely as a base of operations, hence the "Operational Activity Base", naming, and make it so that it's easy to reconfigure between hauling bikes and camping, so "Modular". . . No intent to pull it behind the rig on any trail. . .

The other concern is that my Explorer doesn't trailer much well. Let's face it, it's a 20+ year old rig with 185,000 miles on the underwhelming 4.0 with larger(?) tires (well, at least they used to be larger), and deeper gears. . . So the goal was to end up with something that would be kind of lightweight, yet be several times more comfortable that my tent that Kevin (aka DWD) has commonly referred to as a "Full-Length Body Condom". . .

So, build a frame, mount some lockable storage boxes, throw on a roof top tent, and call it a day. . . Only problem is that my quick projects have at times marinated in the execution phase for months. . ., but since Moab is just a few weeks away, that's a good motivator. . .

Frame construction:
Frame_zpse1934af4.jpg

You can see the truck "top boxes" used as lockable storage, in the background.

More to follow,

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't wait to see what this morphs into once another month goes by... :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what this morphs into once another month goes by... :thumbsup:

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm ahead of the photos posted. . .

So here's a few pictures of the boxes fit into the frame. As you can see, I'm going to have a "well" down the center-line of the trailer - - I'll close it off at the fore and aft end, put the plan is to use it for loose item storage for the trip down to Utah. I'm thinking camp chairs, the Hi-Lift, and some spare parts (drive shaft, rear axle, etc.), plus some other crap I'll probably just need to get out of there one time. . .

FrameRightSM_zps70c77080.jpg

I had to set the boxes inboard enough so I could open the doors and clear the wheels and fenders, which I thought was a better option than making the frame 12-15" higher. . .
FrameRightRearSM_zps18a2ea2a.jpg

As it sits now, the width of the boxes is right at the exterior edge of each motorcycle rail.

Teaser:
TentClosed_zps49350dfe.jpg

Paul
'91 Sport

WOW!!!

I still have that 5gal fresh water tank and a couple pumps.

It's 17" wide, 16" deep and 10" tall (the one I text'd to you).

Your's if you want them.

WOW!!! I still have that 5gal fresh water tank and a couple pumps. It's 17" wide, 16" deep and 10" tall. Your's if you want them.

Thanks - - not sure what I need yet - - for the Utah trip plan on just using water jugs, have a number of modifications/additions/extras I want to add (mount the Con-Ferr rack somehow that will swing away when the tent pops up, auxilliary battery/inverter/solar, bike rack, sink(?), a drawer or shelf system, etc. etc. etc. See, this is why my projects usually take months ! ! !

Here's a look inside one of the boxes - - not a huge amount of space, but okay at 60"L x 15"H x 12"D. . .

Stuff_zpsacb0e61c.jpg

And since I put the drawer system in the back of the rig, needed to incoporate the footlocker. . .

TrailerRear_zpsa013e622.jpg

Thanks again for the offer, if you plan on hanging on to the water tank for a while, I'll let you know after Moab. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Yeah, I'll hang onto it for ya.

It might fit nicely under the rails, behind the axle so it doesn't take up valuable storage space.

Very nice work Paul.:chug:

Very nice work Paul.:chug:

Thanks Rick.

So here's the tent deployed:
TentOpened_zps1d8fe717.jpg

The tent actually comes with an expanding ladder that supports the free-standing end, but since I have the tent low on the trailer (compared to say, the roof of a SUV), even the shortest setting was still too high. Since there's a good chance that at some time in the future I'll throw the tent on top of the Explorer, I chose not to cut down the ladder and instead just fabbed up a couple of boxed aluminum supports. Access into the tent accomplished by a small step ladder (not shown) straddled by the supports, or by climbing in on the other side at the axle.

No problem supporting the weight of the tent with these two poles; the hinge of the unit "locks" in the deployed position.

Now I just have to live with the fact that I'm one of those guys with a Roof-Top Tent. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Oh yeah, I like that, much better than your closterphobia cabin!

I have a couple stab, support jacks too. I'll txt you a picture this evening.

Holy Thread Resurrection ! ! !

Ten years after the last post on this thread, back at it today getting the camp trailer re-assembled for the Moab ‘23 trip. . .
IMG_1369.jpeg

Motorcycle trailer and box with RTT. Used the trailer hauling the Buell last summer for a few track days, but the camp trailer has been stored since 2016!
IMG_1371.jpeg

Coming together…
IMG_1374.jpeg
When the four car garage just doesn’t seem big enough. . .

Paul

That is dang cool I never saw this before

Pop the tent open and let it air out hahahahaha

Heck 8 car isn’t big enough

I've often thought about making one of these. Any issues towing it fully loaded with the ex?

This will be the first trip with the "newer" '94, but the trailer was not an issue for the '91, and that included traversing a few mountain passes. The trailer is pretty light at ~ 350 lbs., the box is ~75-80 lbs., about the same for the RTT. I don't camp expecting Armageddon, so not over-burdened by solar panels, mega batteries, shower apparatus, klieg lights, holding tanks, etc.

I do use the "well" between the two truck boxes for some spares: axle shafts, drive shafts, fluids, hoses, and other crap. . .
1682376692109.png

With camping stuff and spares loaded, still guessing I'm rolling at under 1K for the trailer, so not too bad.

Used this site as a resource 10 years ago - - seems like it's changed a bit, but you might find it useful: Compact Camping Trailers Blog - Compact Camping Trailers

Paul

Back