Question on grinding LED's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on grinding LED's

Hey guys,
I am wanting to do the led's under the dash but I have a question. I have read that you should grind the tips flat so the light disperses evenly. How exactly should I grind them? Just sand paper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never heard of that, but sounds logical.....wet sand them so its still smooth without scratches....

probably use rough and dry at first but to finish use the soft wet sanding

you can use sand paper, thats all i did. when your done, if you want, put clear on it.

Hey guys,
I am wanting to do the led's under the dash but I have a question. I have read that you should grind the tips flat so the light disperses evenly. How exactly should I grind them? Just sand paper?

Sorry, I haven't been in this subforum for awhile, or else I would have answered this question a lot sooner. When I made my own underdash light bars, I sanded the LED tips with a Black & Decker Mouse Sander and 240 grit sandpaper. All you need is an electric sander, a steady hand, and a good eye. I sanded mine down until it was completely flat, and then applied clear nail polish to it to fill in the scratches and make it look just like new. It's really, really simple, and you get that 180 degree lighting effect everytime. Let me know if you have anymore questions about it. :salute:

I got the same question .
-------------------------------------------------------------
surprise in shoesgoing.com

Use a bench grinder, sandpaper, or file. Then use clear nail polish to clear up the tip.

I used a Dremel with the high speed cutter bit. Does it pretty quickly and easily if you have something to hold the LED with (or if you're careful use your hands like I did). But like these other guys said, sanding works just as well.

Back