Questions about 35's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about 35's

Hey, when I get my lift I really want to run 35" tires but I noticed a lot of people prefer 33's how come? 35's should fit witha 6" lift right/

Maybe, sorta, No they don't......

I have a 94, I had new coils put up front and according to Superlift they should be about 6" lift. I still rubbed on a hard turn or a dip in the road at 15 mph or more. I had to add a 3" body lift to clear the tires.

On another note...With 5.5" lift and 33's, single locker up front and LS out back I could go almost anywhere at MOAB, maybe 2 trails that would be tough. very doable, very streetable set-up. 3.73 gears.

Now with 35's...I'm taller, looks cool in my book, but..My tranny bit the dirt, maybe high milage 185K miles or the bigger tires...? Also now I'm more concerned about breaking driveline parts now. With the bigger tires my gears needed to be changed so I'll have more torque now at the wheels too. It seems that 35's take you past that point of "Cost vs Return". I didn't have to worry about gears with the 33's but now I do. Waiting to see if this opens up that much of an advantage on the trails.

Good Luck and choose wisely

Make them fit

Yes you can! The fenders will need trimmed, though. Your always going to want to go bigger anyway. I have the B/W fender flares which allowed me to trim 3" at the rear of the front fenders. I'm running 35's now and will move up to 38x11's soon.

Re: Maybe, sorta, No they don't......

Originally posted by Gofast
Also now I'm more concerned about breaking driveline parts now.

Rob, you know I am an accountant, and I cannot get the following equation out of my mind:

+ 5.0 EFI Mustang engine
+ 35 inch tires
+ Locked Dana 35
-----------------------
= Kablooey

Good luck, my friend. I'll be praying for you. Might as well start a trust fund for a Dana 44 front.

Yes they will fit

I have a 4" TrailMaster lift and 35's with a little triming and they fit just fine.
View

Back