Ranger rollover...take 2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger rollover...take 2

So it has happened again...this time it was a full roll. My first time was more of a flop and to be honest, that freaked me out more than this one. Maybe because I had a passenger (RockRanger) that time.

The backstory is that I headed up to Big Bear today which is our local mountains here in So Cal and has some decent trails to wheel in the summer. I met my friend Tim with his TJ up there and our plan was to wheel the 2 hardest trails up there...Dishpan Springs and John Bull.

We start off with Dishpan Springs and make it to to hardest part which is about midway through the trail.

We are heading up and there is a group up top that was heading down but they waved us on so I proceed first. I take the hardline which is a fairly steep face to climb but make it up with no issues. Once on top, there is a rock jutting out on the passenger side to negotiate. The plan was to hug that rock because if you turn too much driver then it starts to get tippy as the terrain slopes down from the jutting rock.

Instead of skirting the rock my passenger tire is going up on top placing me in a precarious position. At the time I thought is was just the terrain rising on the pass. side and thought i'd be alright...WRONG!

It didn't happen right away, I was at that point of teetering for a few seconds and in hindsight I should have slammed it in reverse.
It went over driver side first, one full roll and finally settled on the drivers side. This was fully my fault, I should have had Tim come and spot me or at least have the guys that were up there spot me.

Kinda wish they would have said something as they were there shooting video (yes there will be video soon as I gave them my email:D) but I can only blame myself.

I came out of the roll without a scratch but the truck is a different story. Once we got my truck righted (thanks to the other group) the truck fired right up and I drove it out of there after some cleanup. As bad as it looked, I drove it home with some funny looks from other drivers.

Amazingly, the doors still open as they had minor damage and the windshield was still in tact. It seemed mechanically sound as far as I could tell but i'm gonna have a better look at it to make sure.

Damage report:

Severely dented pass. front fender

Hood is dented up pretty good but might be able to pound out the dents and reuse.

Drivers door has new dent above window but otherwise minor damage.

Drivers mirror...toast (glad I switched to the cheap flag mirrors)

Pass. mirror...IN TACT!

Windows in door still in tact but do not operate (power windows)

Pass. quarter window...toast

One section of rear slider (pass. side) window...toast

Third brake light assembly...toast

Roof of cab...toast. Damage was centered at the rearmost section near the sliding window, more towards the passenger side.

Pass. side of bed...toast. Bed is pretty much a loss now, not that i'm heartbroken over it.

Cooler decided to bail out the window and then my truck landed on it so its toast...just a cheap Igloo cooler.

On with the pics...sorry for the black and whites, camera was in that mode for some reason.

dscn0504.jpg

dscn0505.jpg

dscn0506.jpg

dscn0508.jpg

dscn0509.jpg

dscn0510.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldnt blame yourself for that one - especially since you have a full bodied and front-engined vehicle (no vision). I'm just saying that if I was one of the guys up front, I def would have told you about your line. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20 right...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Exactly...every time I watch it i tell myself why didn't I put it in reverse. At the very least it would've looked cool riding on 2 wheels for a few feet:p:

Ahah yeah, as I watched that, I was like REVERSE REVERSE!!!! Oh well, now you get a cage out of it ;)

Sucks to watch...

Sucks even more to listen to those guys "afterwards" :mad:

Yeah you see the point where you just hung there for a few seconds. I can understand why you decided to keep going though. Next time you will not even get close to that and say, nahh I'm backing off:rolleyes:

Painful to watch, Dave. I hope it doesn't cause me flashback nightmares tonight! ;)

...No matter how many times I watch it, it's still sad...:(

...Thanks for sharing the video with the rest of us...:biggthump

Dave, check this guy splicing in a new roof: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290017
It's pretty much how they did mine, only mine was from the A pillars to the whole roof and down the back cab corners. :eek: You're a good welder, you could doo eet!
Also, I have two 93-97 front fenders that I'll never use, if you want them, they're yours! They are even your color, dark grey. :thumbsup:

I'm with Bill. But that roof off. Build a cage. Weld it back on. Paint it digicamo. Be done with it. :D

I'm with Bill. But that roof off. Build a cage. Weld it back on. Paint it digicamo. Be done with it. :D

Best idea yet. If you buy a parts ranger and need a place to strip it I might know of a place that it can be pulled apart. I might even have a line on a trailer to haul the scrap away as well.

I
heart_icon.jpg
butting roofs off :)

Son of a... I was holding two kids and bbqing fish tacos and browsing my the cellular phone.

!

Bill, I may just take you up on those fenders. I can give you the James Duff bed braces in trade if you want them, I won't be using them when I tube out the bed area.

As for the roof and cage, I think my best plan of attack is to get the roof dent popped back out and as straight as I can get it, then cut it off for the cage and reweld so I can roll it again:p:

I think if I cut it off, try to straighten it out, then try to reweld it back on i'll have a hell of a time getting it to line up.

OR, I can buy plans for a tube buggy and call it good...mmmkthanks!

Yeah I think if you remove the roof, straighten it out, and then try to reweld it, things arent going to line up. But then again, even if you cut it now, the roof is still under stress and the pillars will move as soon as they are cut free. So I guess all we can do at this point is have cake (or two) - meet you at TKB Bakery & Deli (78015 Main St) ok ?!?

What if you just peeled the sheet metal top off and left the rest to put the cage in and then put the top back on?

What if you just peeled the sheet metal top off and left the rest to put the cage in and then put the top back on?

If it were only that easy I would. The roof is more than just dented, it's totally caved in on the pass. side so it really needs to be fixed first before I can cut off the roof.

IZ, as long as it's cupcakes i'm in. They're all the rage you know:D

What about bottle jack/ porta power the cab up in to enough shape to get some windows in. I know you have some tube at the house maybe another $100 in tube and toss a cage in it so you wheel all winter then next spring summer hopefully save enough to do a good rebuild

Its not 117 at my house....

Windows?? He lives in the desert where it's been 110 or 117. Who needs windows?? :p

Back