Rap sheet a mile long!!! I AM NOT IMPRESSED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rap sheet a mile long!!! I AM NOT IMPRESSED

Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
As I have mentioned before, my '98 Exlporer XL has been a little troublesome since new. Up until this past week I thought it was quite annoying but still felt that in general it was a good truck. Well! Let me tell you about the latest in a long line of problems. My transmission let go!!!!! For about a week it was not shifting properly and I took it in to find out what had happened. It turns out that one of the bands in the transmission had failed. Most likely the third gear band as that was the gear it was missing. Thankfully I will not have to deal with this LEMON after Thursday. In total the amount of warranty work that Ford has done on this truck is well over $8000! That is almost 1/4 of the purchase price!!!!!!!!

As you can see from the list below this has been a never ending battle. The dealer that I have been getting the truck serviced by has been very good and they do their best to get everything done as quickly as possible. While I understand that there are sometimes problems with new vehicles, I find this list to be excessive. In comparison, my '92 Explorer XLT with 185,000 km (that I bought at 153,000 km) on it has been much more reliable than the '98 which I have had since new.

As of today there are 48,529km (30300 miles) on this truck. I will list all of the warranty work that has been done on it to date.

Truck delivered to dealer on Feb 23, 1998. Picked up by me March 24, 1998 with 22 km on odometer.

For squealing brakes: Machine front and rear rotors, scuff pads. 4550 km, June 12-17, 1998

Test drive to seat pads, not seating, replace all pads. 4783 km, June 18-19, 1998

Test drive and locate brake squeal from front and rear brakes rotors need to be resurfaced. August 26, 1998

Replace centre console armrest (broken) reported Sept 2, 1998 repaired Sept 24, 1998. 8897 km
At same time report fluctuating voltage level. No fault found.

Re and RE RH and LH halfshafts and replace hub seals. 15813 km January 12-13 1999

Repair drivers seat for insuficiant foam on seating surface. 24278 km May 5, 1999

Unable to lock rear liftgate glass. R/I Liftgate panel and reconnect link rod 28090 km July 2, 1999 Problem not fixed re-booked for another day, waiting for parts.

Replace lock and latch mechanism for rear liftgate glass, lock rod from control to cylinder backordered (2 weeks). July 23, 1999

Noise, (ping/click) when shifting from park to reverse or drive. Replace rear output yoke on transfer case. July 23, 1999

Clunking noise from front suspension. Tighten R/F link pin for swaybar July 23, 1999

Rattle in drivers side door panel. Tighten retaining screws for door handle. July 23, 1999

Gas pedal, broken spot welds on mounting bracket, gas pedal hanging loose from cable. 30896 km August 11, 1999

Replace secondary hood latch (recall) August 11, 1999

Tighten drivers door panel for rattling. August 11, 1999

Replace liftgate control lock rod (was supposed to be 2 weeks for parts ended up being 6 weeks) Sept 2, 1999

Troubleshoot for hesitation. Reprogram computer for transmission shifting. Problem reduced but not eliminated. 32721 km Sept 2, 1999

Order replacement parts for cracked centre console. 35005 km Oct 5, 1999

Replace cracked centre console. Oct 19, 1999

Intermittant clunk noise from rear suspension. Loose/damaged link pin for rear swaybar. Pin for clamp, drivers side rear leaf spring hitting gas tank skid plate. 35395 km Oct 19, 1999

Replace swaybar link pin, R/R, secure rear suspension and shock hardware (many loose bolts) 36370 km Oct 28, 1999

40,000 km service 40,565 km December 29, 1999 For reference only, no problems found during this inspection.

Re and Re rear liftgate lock cylinder and mechanism. Unadle to open hatch or lock glass. (Second time in just over 6 months) 42035 km January 25, 2000

Replace drivers side Airbag assembly for broken padding causing intemittant horn function. January 25, 2000

Repair drivers side front window for window binding and sticking in track. January 25, 2000

Build up foam in drivers side front seat (not done correctly the first time) January 25, 2000

Replace faulty transmission with rebuilt unit. 48529 km April 11-18

There has also been an intermittant problem with the lights for the radio flickering for as long as I have had this truck.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Technically Velveeta isn't REALLY cheese... it's a cheese food...
The stuff that other cheeses eat... I guess.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 04-17-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap Paul!

I don’t mind telling you, you got one bad truck. I have a 97 with 36,000 miles on it and the only problem (knock on wood) was a crank seal leak. It surprises me that you would have this many problems with an Explorer. I mean they aren't the number one selling SUV for nothing. I herd of people getting a lemon but damn! Its things like this that causes a person with less strength to forgo Fords all together. It's a good thing you have experience with Fords.

Keep the faith and trade that truck in!

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Hey Paul,

I feel sorry that you've had that many problems with your Explorer. I bought my '96 used with 75,000 miles and I've never had a single problem with it. I've heard horror stories about vehicles that come off the assembly line on Mondays, Fridays and the day after a holiday...many workers minds are elsewhere. Maybe you got one of these?

I agree with Cameron, these problems are not typical with Explorers, you happened to get a bad one. It sounds like your dealer has been more than cooperative in trying to fix the problems, give them another chance. Trade it in on a new 2001! Good luck.

Jimi

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's
K&N w/drilled box, Bosch P+4's, Borla Cat-Back

jimiday@aol.com

Hey Paul,

How's your company's other Explorer's holding up? Don't you have a bunch of consecutive fleet trucks?

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Yes we have 5 identical '98 Explorers that have sequential VIN numbers. Mine is in the middle(number 3 of the 5). The first one had the transmission rebuilt in the first year. All of them have had a certain number of problems but mine seems to be the worst. I think that they all have had some sort of transmission trouble. I don't know what it is, I have never seen any vehicle with such low mileage have so many problems. It is frustrating. I sure am glad that I got this in before the warranty is up (60,000km). If I was to base my experiance with Explorers on this one vehicle I would never drive a Ford again. I have had nothing but problems with it. But since I have always had good luck with Fords I think I will give them another chance. Not with this one though. I have a new job and I will be giving this one back on Thursday. I will be using my '92 as my daily driver for a while and I will probably buy a new truck in the fall. I am not sure about the new Explorers though. Maybe an F-truck is more reliable. I sure hope so.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Well after reading through all of the listed problems only one word came to my mind....damn. I'd kick that puppy to the curb and look into a buying a different one. I'm sure that's easier said then done but good Lord! That things a money pit.

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N Drop In
Modified Air Box
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Hypertech Module
expo1994@yahoo.com
"Kickin Up Dust"

Paul,
I sorry to hear about your troubles with your newer explorer. I too have had nothing but trouble with my 97 SOHC 4.0L v6 since I bought it new. My truck was in and out of the shop weekly for the first 2 years I had it. Finally after 3 years and my dealership sick of fixing it they decided to put a new engine in it after 40,000 mi. Lucky for me it was still under warrenty so they had to pay for it. Anyway my truck still doesn't run a hundred percent. there is an ideling knock and the transmission shifts really rough but it is better than it was before the new engine. I don't understand what the deal is with the newer trucks my family has had in total about 5 explorers. right now we have a 97,99,2000 and we have yet to have problems with the 99 and the 2000 but we havent' had either of them for over a year. We've had a 92 and a 94 and never had any problems like we had with my 97. Eventhough its been a pain in the butt, i still love my truck.

Kristen
97 4x4
4.0L v6 SOHC
K&N conical filter

Paul - - Trade that thing in before the value goes down even more. I am sure the dealer will give you a good deal, if not contact ford direct and see what they will do for you. Good luck my man.

As for problems with mine. I have a 97 with a V8 and the only problems I have had with it (had since new) in Dec 99 as per recall ford replaced a pvc or pcv valve as in the process blew a plug. Ended up with a black box replacement and since have had to take it back 2 times for engine adjustments and recently for exaust leak. . . thank god it is still under warranty

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8

Good God Paul!! I had no idea it was THAT bad! You said you were going to be rid of it Thursday? Did the lemon law kick in?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Okay, I missed your post on what was going to happen Thursday, sorry about that. I got it now Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Paul,

Sorry to hear that you've had soooo many problems with your company truck. The good thing is, it isn't YOURS!.

P.S. How come you web site had broken links to all the pictures of your Explorer?

D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

Well I am done with the '98 Explorer XL. I gave it back today. The new transmission works very well. I will miss having that truck (and the company gas card... lol) it has always been a pleasure to drive. Still it has been quite a bit less than reliable. For the price of it there should have been less problems.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

I can relate... I've got a lemon law case pending on my 98 too... but my trouble list is longer, nya, nya! I'm at school right now, so I can't post all the stuff off the top of my head, but I've got almost all of the same problems you had. I just wish I could get rid of this damn thing sooner. (The case has been in progress since January 1!) As for F-series being better or worse... six of one, half dozen of the other... Here's a great site similar to this one for the F-series trucks...
www.f150online.com for 150 and light duty 250s
www.forddiesel.com

Two AWESOME sites, very similar to the old format here, with TONS of good info!

Check it out!
-Joe-

Since all maintenance was done at the same dealer that the truck was delivered to I was able to have them print out the maintenance history of the truck. I knew that it was bad but actually seeing it printed out really hit home on how unreliable this '98 has been. Good luck on your case!

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

So whats next Paul? Any thoughts on another vehicle? Or are you just going to stick with the 92?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

I don't want to use the '92 as my daily because then I would have to be nice to it when off road and that would be no fun... LOL Dead Link Removed

I had a 2000 F-150 XLT Supercab for a courtesy vehicle(for 8 days) while my transmission was being rebuilt. I really liked it. So... I am thinking maybe of one of those F-150 Crew Cabs (or Supercrew as Ford seems to be calling them Dead Link Removed ). Maybe in the fall.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 04-21-2000).]

Wouldn't wanna cut back on the offroad craziness! The F150 is a nice vehicle. If you aren't too Ford biased, you really should check out the Toyota Tundra, I drove one a while back and preferred it to the F150.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Damn Paul ... sounds like your's hit production just after happy hour on a Friday just before a holiday weekend!! Dead Link Removed

And, I too have found my '98 to be far inferior to my '94 XLT in terms of build quality and fit/finish. My '94 was practically bullet proof for 50K miles, no squeaks or rattles, the paint was suprisingly high quality and didn't have a single nick, scratch, or desert pinstripe on it after 4 years of abuse. The seats (cloth "sport" seats) were 10x better the the crappy EB seats in the '98 and that damn thing rattles and squeaks like a motha! I have on many occassions cursed the '98 for being so sub par to our beloved '94 and find myself often "browsing" for another family truckster.

Good luck ... whutchya buying now?

------------------
Rob O

'98 EB 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Twisted w/leafs
Edelbrock IAS
WAAG Brush Guard w/FET Landmaster 190 Hi\Lo's
Thule rack & bike trays / Yakima RocketBox
265/75/16 BFG A/T KOs coming soon

'94 XLT 4x4
WAAG * FET * 30x9.5 BFG * Doetsch Tech * Thule * Hella * Kenwood

Hey paul don't be put off by ford because of this one truck...My 2000 xlt has close to 300,000 on it and the only problem I've had with it so far was getting rear ended at a stoplight. Hope your next truck treats you better

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whoa you really got a one lemon of a truck, hope everything works out. It's pretty rare somone gets a lemon Explorer, but every car manufacturer makes a lemon, hell I know people that have had a Lexus or Honda and had nothing but problems with them.

I got my 94' for my 16th B-day (4 years ago), and like any normal kid, I drove the piss out of it, I mean I drove it really hard. Brake-Torque starts, burnouts (with a little water;) ), flooring it all the time to hear those Flowmasters roar, towing boats and waverunners, even shifting it manually way past redline and nailing the fuel cutoff (that was by accident, I would put it into first and then forget I had it only in 1st and go past redline). And I haven't had one problem with it. I recieved it with about 50,000 miles, and it now has about 100,000 and still perfect. The only things I have needed to be fixed were the brakes, a diesal sound my engine made, bushings, and normal maintainence, oh yeh and a battery. Thats it, everything else is find, even my transmission shifts smooth as the day I got it no signs of slipping at all (knock on wood). I also replaced the factory shocks (they weren't going bad, just wanted to get the Edlelbrocks) and they made a huge difference in the ride and handling.
It also has been in 3 serious accidents (not my fault, got caught off 2 times, and last year a pizza delivery guy pulled out in front of me and stopped and I t-boned him going about 40-45mph. I basically seperated his cab from the bed and shoved one of his rims through the engine block, you shoulda see that one with the rim half way into the engine, and also knocked him down the road. But our trucks are definitley built Ford Tough b/c mine was still drivable with only right front side damage while his truck was mutilated. I had my mom with me also and he tried to say I was speeding with my mom, which wouldn't bother her since she drives her Mounty hard:D . But if I'm comming at you at 45 (the limit) and your stopped, your better be damn right it's gonna look like I was speeding when I hit you, lets see 45 vs. a stopped vehicle hmmmm.;)

Also my mom bought one of the first 97' Mounty's new just traded it in on a 00' White loaded like a Ex Limited this past may. She took her 97' in for service, saw the white one out, and drove home with the white one. I came home and was like "whose truck is that??" The best part was she forgot about the changes for 02' and the dealership didn't have any left, so all she saw was the white one and came home with it. The she took me to test drive the new Mounty and was like "damn I should have gotten this one" I'm gonna have a nicer truck than my mom:D hehehe. But the 97' was traded in with 75,000 miles and not one problem with it, just regualr maintainence and the 00' is perfect, rides better than the 97' has much better leather seats, I couldn't stand the leather seats in the 97'.

Back