Paul's '91 Sport | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's '91 Sport

Three ashtrays, two doors, one cup holder, and zero Air Bags”

As it sits today. . . (December 2023)
Rig Large (DEC 23).jpg

As it sat last year. . . (2022)
Snow Sport.5 (DEC 21).jpg

Edit: From here on down was the write-up I did for my first Explorer before it was totaled in a commuting accident in March 2017. The write-up for the new (to me) Explorer that was acquired in May 2020 starts on page 2, post #31.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, purchasing it in April 1993. It has been a daily driver, crisscrossed the States multiple times, sat for a few years in storage, and now is dedicated to four-wheeling trips, camping excursions, and hauling the motorcycle to various “track days”. It is not a hard-core rig, but is set up well for the types of four-wheeling I enjoy, and has certainly seen its fair share of difficult trails. It has a number of modifications, with more planned for the future, but is by no means “Done”.

As it used to sit: (2016)
Front Oblique (P).jpg
Rear End.jpg

Here is the run-down of the modifications and when they were installed (or re-worked). . .
- Borla Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust (1995)
- James Duff Pre-Runner Front Bumper (1998)
- Bush Whacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (1998/2016)
- ARB Air Lockers, front and rear (1999/2008/2015)
- 4.10 Gears (1999)
- “SupeRancho” Hybrid Lift, approximately 4” of lift, with SOA (1999)
- 33”x 12.50 Tires (currently Toyo Mud Terrains)
- Con Ferr Roof Rack (1999)
- SuperLift SuperRunner Steering (2000)
- Ramsey REP 8000 winch in Duff Bumper (2002), Warn Synthetic Line (2016)
- Rock Sliders (2002)
- Atlas II Transfer Case (2005)
- ViAir On-Board Air Compressor (2009/2014)
- Modified ¾ Doors (2009)
- Early Bronco fabbed Rear Bumper, “extra modded” to fit the Explorer (2009)
- Rear License Plate Frenched (2009)
- Outback Solutions (ARB) Drawers with fabbed pull-out shelves (2012)
- Corbeau Heated Seats (2013)
- Internal Roll Cage (2013)
- Shelf/Box/Switches (2013-2015)
- Lights – Raptor/Fog/Roof Rack/Rear/Squatch/Interior Hatch/Hood (2013-2016)
- Dual Battery installation (2014)

I'll document most of the projects in subsequent posts with pictures and links to various threads. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Edit: End of the road in April 2020. . . Read on for the wreck and renovation/restoration/gear swap to new 'Sport'. . .
Fork (APR 20).jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like heavy duty velcro for my microphones. It holds very well.
At my pace, I’ll get them sorted sometime before 2025. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the Ham install was a project, and I've got a few others in the works, but had some time between motorcycle tasks so knocked out a few "not so much" projects today. . .

Kind of beat up my James Duff skid plate in Moab this past May - - not too bad, but dinged up the corners and scuffed it up on Metal Masher. . .
Duff Tuff (MAY 23).jpg

Not much visible in the above pic, but pried it off, beat out the dents and went to black with textured bed liner. . .
Duff Tuff (DEC 23).jpg

Liked the stainless look before, and was going to go with gray over the texture, but so impressed with how much better it looks in black - - really ties in with the black Line-Ex of the bumper and fill plates.

Also found a neat spot for this gear pouch that has just been sitting in my glove box. . .
Pouch (DEC 23).jpg

. . . below the dash on the passenger side.

Pouch Large (DEC 23).jpg

Paul

Hate the idea of working on rig projects (or any project), and then not taking the vehicle out to enjoy the efforts of the labor. Not that the skid plate was a major effort, but the Ham took some time, so decided to go out and find some snow, which is late for us at elevation here in the PNW.

None of the "usual suspects" wanted to join me, so I headed out solo to a place called Coplay Lake. Lots of rain at lower elevations over the last few days added some drama. . .
Waterfall (DEC 23).jpg

At the lake. . .
Rig Front.2 (DEC 23).jpg

Not nearly frozen enough to walk on. . .
Coplay Lake.1 (DEC 23).jpg

Enough other vehicles were out on the trail, so not really "solo", but during the descent ran across a Nissan Maxima(?) high centered on 6" of snow. . . What the driver was thinking to go up a mountain, er, hill in a passenger car with bald tires was baffling to me. Another rig showed and we were able to push him back into his tire tracks, but seriously, what if he really was out there alone? No phone service, 10+ miles to civilization, no rations or fluids, no cold weather gear, no strap points, no recovery gear, and obviously, no clue. . .

Only damage was his under-engine air deflector, and hopefully a bit of pride. . .

Paul

It happens every single day! Poor cops and park rangers have to deal with these people constantly

Hate the idea of working on rig projects (or any project), and then not taking the vehicle out to enjoy the efforts of the labor. Not that the skid plate was a major effort, but the Ham took some time, so decided to go out and find some snow, which is late for us at elevation here in the PNW.

None of the "usual suspects" wanted to join me, so I headed out solo to a place called Coplay Lake. Lots of rain at lower elevations over the last few days added some drama. . .
View attachment 447900

At the lake. . .
View attachment 447901

Not nearly frozen enough to walk on. . .
View attachment 447902

Enough other vehicles were out on the trail, so not really "solo", but during the descent ran across a Nissan Maxima(?) high centered on 6" of snow. . . What the driver was thinking to go up a mountain, er, hill in a passenger car with bald tires was baffling to me. Another rig showed and we were able to push him back into his tire tracks, but seriously, what if he really was out there alone? No phone service, 10+ miles to civilization, no rations or fluids, no cold weather gear, no strap points, no recovery gear, and obviously, no clue. . .

Only damage was his under-engine air deflector, and hopefully a bit of pride. . .

Paul

Looks like a beautiful area. The waterfall is awesome.

Char and I once found a Vega deep into a trail. If it was a stolen car I could understand it being where it was, but if it was someone's transportation, I have no idea why they would have kept driving until they got stuck and blocked the trail. I used my winch to pull it off to the side so we could finish the trail. If the driver of the Vega was solo he had a long walk out.

Still have a project on the work bench, but a few of the regulars wanted a snow ran, so about a dozen (just too damn many!) rigs showed for a run around the Greenwater area here in the PNW. Not much snow for us this year, so hard to get really stuck, but a few of us found a way. . .
Line Up:

Line Up.2 (JAN 24).jpg

Broncos and stuff:
Line Up.3 (JAN 24).jpg

Views of Rainier never get old (to me anyway. . ):
Rainier ! ! (JAN 24).jpg

A fun day,

Paul

So, while not an upgrade, I've been looking forward to this for a few years now. . .
CV Plate.1 (JAN 24).jpg

(Collector Vehicle Plate) . . .

Delayed as I would have put these on the 1991 Explorer (B3) if it was still with us, as it takes 30 years to pass in order to obtain these here in Washington (this rig is a '94).

CV Plate.2 (JAN 24).jpg

Touched-up the white paint on the explorer plate surround, and added the U.S. Flag to cover the gray-scale "Year and Month" sticker locations. . .

CV Plate.3 (JAN 24).jpg

Looks so good I had to break-down and wash the whole rig! ! !

Paul

I love that you painted the Explorer on the license plate frame. I hadn't seen anyone do that before.:chug:

I love that you painted the Explorer on the license plate frame. I hadn't seen anyone do that before.:chug:
. . . and made it a two-door (windows). . .
1706475393691.png

. . . that plate surround is from the old B3, circa 2010 or so. . . , it migrated with the other cool stuff onto this rig. Actually had to shorten the unit to get it to fit within the frenched-in box for the license plate, but works for me. . .

Back