Rear Bumper with Swing Out Tire Carrier PICS added | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper with Swing Out Tire Carrier PICS added

Got Pix!!!

Bumper being installed:

4156Bumper11.jpg

4156Bumper21.jpg

Swing arm mount. This is a 1 1/4" trailer spindle. I added a second plate down inside the bumper for support.

4156Bumper4.jpg

4156Bumper31.jpg

Here is the swingarm fabrication:

4156Bumper5.jpg

4156Bumper6.jpg

Bumper complete (without endcaps, proper latch or license plate lights):

4156Bumper8.jpg

Here's the side view with the tire mounted so you can see how much it sticks out from the rear of the vehicle:
4156Bumper9.jpg

I've already altered the design a little based on what we did. I've changed the tire mount to a round plate, and Ben and I have discussed putting a class 3 receiver and D-Rings on the bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been temporarily sprayed with bedliner until I can finish the project.
9101DCP_00171.JPG

9101DCP_00191.JPG

9101DCP_00201.JPG

Very nice. Like to see pic of that latch once you get it installed. Gives me idea.
The plans show 1/4" for bumper, the pic seems to be a little thinner or maybe just pic.

rookieshooter said:
Very nice. Like to see pic of that latch once you get it installed. Gives me idea.
The plans show 1/4" for bumper, the pic seems to be a little thinner or maybe just pic.

It's definitely 1/4" steel......no question.

Nice work Jeff and Ben! :thumbsup:

So when does mass production start?

That looks great guys! I like how it tucks up close to the back of the truck & doesn’t stick way out.

I want to see how the latch works as well. I need to figure out a new system for mine.

Changed the latch setup.. I had issues with it coming loose on the roadway..
New design is definately a vast improvement.. The top portion is a 5/8" hole spring loaded latch with a 1.25" or more throw. It is secured with a nut welded to the inside of the steel and a 5/8"-11 thread.. The 90 degree latch is a DeStaco 1000 lb SS latch.. The latch is secured using 1/4-20 button cap screws via 1/4-20 holes that have been tapped in the bumper swingout. The latching portion right now 1/4" steel but will be 1/8" steel after I get some.

Attachments

• DCP_0574.JPG
    DCP_0574.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • DCP_0575.jpg
    DCP_0575.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,085

Talk about bringing an old thread back to life! Any way I will try to make this quick. I understand that you guys use a 1 1/4" trailer spindle for the swing out tire carrier. But what I don't understand is 1: what goes over the spindle and 2: where do I get one? Any way thanks for the great write ups.

Big Red

What goes over the spindle is a custom machined piece that I had manufactured by a local machine shop. They took a piece of heavy wall pipe and machined the top and bottom to accept the bearing races.

Any pictures?

Any pictures?

Not of just the spindle bearing housing..lost the print when my hard drive crashed. You could just take a trailer wheel spindle and have it turned down...although it's cast iron, not steel.

Back