Rearview Camera Problems | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your thread was merged with this one.
Does that camera stay ON when in drive all the while when you are driving or does it go OFF after you start driving? Just wondering because there is a setting that allows the camera to stay ON until you get to a certain speed. Given the age of your Explorer and the likelihood that it is the original camera, I would guess that it is time to replace it. Newer cameras are close to HD picture quality.
You may also want to check out this thread; Rearview camera view backwards

Peter
It's my daughters car so I've only witnessed it happening a couple of times myself, I kind of remember it turning off within a minute or so, so it could be speed related. But it probably only stays on after shifting into drive maybe 1 out of 20 times. But the reverse image has me confused, how does an aging camera do that? That sounds more like software

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try a fuse 29 pull? Try that. I've seen lots of people with some instability right after upgrading and the fuse pull takes care of it.
I know this post is a blast from the past but last fall, 2022 I purchased a used 2011 Explorer Limited and everything was fine until my lines and warning boxes have disappeared. I've checked that it is turned on, especially the enhanced b/u camera warning. I will try the fuse #29 pull, hoping I won't have to redo all of my preferences.

If caused by an update how can I tell when the last update was? My 2011 X has 150k now but is nearly mint and was serviced all its life at Tasca Ford.
Thanks

It could be an issue with the camera itself seeing as how it's a 2011. Many members have had to replace theirs in the earlier year Explorers.
It is doubtful that an update would have caused it, especially if you haven't done one yourself. Updates are not done automatically. It has been a while since I had my 2011 Limited but you should be able to find which software version you have through the Settings.

Peter

It could be an issue with the camera itself seeing as how it's a 2011. Many members have had to replace theirs in the earlier year Explorers.
It is doubtful that an update would have caused it, especially if you haven't done one yourself. Updates are not done automatically. It has been a while since I had my 2011 Limited but you should be able to find which software version you have through the Settings.

Peter
Thanks for the info Peter, I was hoping it was something simple as the lines just disappeared the other day. The camera quality is actually amazingly clear video. Kinda hard to believe for a 2011. I don't care if it works as I hardly look at it but if it's there it might as well work. BTW, the audio works and is totally usable by that alone. Just the lines and warning boxes and the zoom no longer work.

Last question, does the camera have to be installed by a dealer? I don't mean to install the hardware but any updates that need to be made to the ECM or whatever runs it
Thanks, Ken

Thanks for the info Peter, I was hoping it was something simple as the lines just disappeared the other day. The camera quality is actually amazingly clear video. Kinda hard to believe for a 2011. I don't care if it works as I hardly look at it but if it's there it might as well work. BTW, the audio works and is totally usable by that alone. Just the lines and warning boxes and the zoom no longer work.

Last question, does the camera have to be installed by a dealer? I don't mean to install the hardware but any updates that need to be made to the ECM or whatever runs it
Thanks, Ken
Hi Ken. I've read that a new camera has to be programmed to the vehicle it's installed in. I believe some have used FORScan to do it.
I'm guessing that is because not all trims have the moving lines. I'm guessing that you have Adaptive Park Assist which not everyone has.

Peter

Hi Ken. I've read that a new camera has to be programmed to the vehicle it's installed in. I believe some have used FORScan to do it.
I'm guessing that is because not all trims have the moving lines. I'm guessing that you have Adaptive Park Assist which not everyone has.

Peter
Tnx Peter, yes my 2011 does have the moving lines, white I think and the adaptive park too along with many non-2011 standard options like the HID's.

Back