Rearview Camera Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

With the new update you can do a master reset thru the settings menu on the MFT. I recommend everyone do that after the update based on what I've read here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the new update you can do a master reset thru the settings menu on the MFT. I recommend everyone do that after the update based on what I've read here.

What? :confused:

AGREED. Smart idea...

I had a few quirks in the system after the upgrade. (Bluetooth music wouldn't work, backup camera would stay stuck on forever after reverse, my phone's name was too long and bled over the signal/batt strength icons, etc, etc)

Did a master reset via the new MFT menu. Once it ran, I spent some time re-pairing the bluetooth audio and phone, re-doing all MFT vehicle settings, putting in the radio and nav favorites etc. fresh start....

This fixed every single issue. I guss it's just like installing new software on your home PC, the MFT needs a full reboot after doing the upgrade.

The system has been flawless now and I highly reccomend doing it....

Fuse 29 pull worked

Thanks to the recommendation to pull fuse 29. My back, neck and elbow however do not thank you. It is VERY difficult to get at those fuses (6'1"). To do it over again - disconnect the battery. One other note - there was about a 20 second delay before anything came up on the MFT screen - enough to make you think something was *really* broke.

Thanks to the recommendation to pull fuse 29. My back, neck and elbow however do not thank you. It is VERY difficult to get at those fuses (6'1"). To do it over again - disconnect the battery. One other note - there was about a 20 second delay before anything came up on the MFT screen - enough to make you think something was *really* broke.
Welcome to the Forum heywayman.:wavey:
The only thing with disconnecting/reconnecting the battery is that the transmission will have to relearn its shift points and that also applies to the idle and trim. Don't forget you are driving a giant computer on wheels and there are certain programs that require constant power to retain memory.
I agree that the fuse box is in a very difficult place to get at. I don't know if I could do it.

Peter

It's a first year vehicle, it's going to have some bugs that need to be worked out. And the dealerships aren't going to have a lot of experience dealing with the problems since they still haven't seen to many yet. It's just going to take time and some patience.
On the backup camera? ........... Geeze, what a stretch on that! Backup cameras are not new or that high tech!! :eek:

From the MFT screen, click on settings.....then vehicle.......then rear view camera.....make sure the lines are set to on.....It will show you a preview.

Hi all,

I'm experiencing something odd with the rear view camera lately, and there's nothing to explain what brought it on since MFT has been working just fine for me since the latest upgrade. It started in last 2 weeks.

Sometimes the rear camera does not come on when the vehicle is put into reverse, as the OP states in the first thread. But I may come back later in the day (after work, say) and the rear camera works just fine...lines and all. The rear beeping still works when in reverse even though the screen will say "camera not working, please visit your dealership". Then later, it's as if nothing has happened.

I did a master reset thinking something just got a little screwy, and all appeared to be in working order. Then maybe just a day later, we're back to the screen blanking out intermittenly again. I just don't want to have to deal with going to the dealership and them saying they can't reproduce the problem. I tried running a vehicle health report, and nothing is listed. Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and how they resolved it.

Ercole

Ercole,
I'm running into the same exact problem you are. We're you able to find the problem?

Ercole,
I'm running into the same exact problem you are. We're you able to find the problem?
Welcome to the Forum jakelornkate.:wavey:
I would suggest that you take it to the dealer to have it looked at. There are so many electronics on board that it could be almost anything.
I'm not sure which model you have as it isn't shown. It would be very helpful for members trying to address future concerns if you entered your model and year in your profile so that the info will show in the left margin where your name is. Not all models are the same or have the same issues.
Good luck.

Peter

Fuse 29 pull did not work

Thanks for the info. Peter. I think I updated my vehicle info. If it doesn't show I have a 2011 ford explorer limited and my rear camera doesn't work anymore and I've tried disconnecting the battery and pulling fuse 29 both to no avail. The reason I checked this forum is because I did take this to the dealer and they actually could not figure out the problem. Maybe it could be the actual camera defaulting? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm experiencing something odd with the rear view camera lately, and there's nothing to explain what brought it on since MFT has been working just fine for me since the latest upgrade. It started in last 2 weeks.

Sometimes the rear camera does not come on when the vehicle is put into reverse, as the OP states in the first thread. But I may come back later in the day (after work, say) and the rear camera works just fine...lines and all. The rear beeping still works when in reverse even though the screen will say "camera not working, please visit your dealership". Then later, it's as if nothing has happened.

I did a master reset thinking something just got a little screwy, and all appeared to be in working order. Then maybe just a day later, we're back to the screen blanking out intermittenly again. I just don't want to have to deal with going to the dealership and them saying they can't reproduce the problem. I tried running a vehicle health report, and nothing is listed. Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and how they resolved it.

Ercole
When you say "we're back to the screen blanking out intermittently again" is that with the vehicle in Reverse or is the MFT screen doing that at any time? If it is the latter, it could be an indication of the APIM beginning to fail.

Peter

Thanks for the info. Peter. I think I updated my vehicle info. If it doesn't show I have a 2011 ford explorer limited and my rear camera doesn't work anymore and I've tried disconnecting the battery and pulling fuse 29 both to no avail. The reason I checked this forum is because I did take this to the dealer and they actually could not figure out the problem. Maybe it could be the actual camera defaulting? Anyone have any other suggestions?
So the dealer can't figure it out and more or less said, too bad, here's your vehicle back? Totally unacceptable in my opinion. It is their job to find and fix the issue and call in additional resources if necessary. I suggest that you send a PM (Private Message) to the Ford reps that monitor this Forum. Just find a post by FordService and click on that name in the left margin. Then select "Send a private message....". They will need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

BTW, it is fuse #34 in the interior fuse panel that controls the rear view camera. It also controls the BLIS and Reverse Sensing System. If those are not working either, it could be the fuse but I'm hoping that they surely must have checked that.
Good luck.

Peter

When you say "we're back to the screen blanking out intermittently again" is that with the vehicle in Reverse or is the MFT screen doing that at any time? If it is the latter, it could be an indication of the APIM beginning to fail.

Peter

Well, it couldn't have been scripted any better.

I dropped off the Ex at the dealer on Tuesday, and of course, when I pull in, the rear camera when the vehicle is put into reverse, worked just fine. Fortunately, I filmed the screen from a day earlier to prove that it was indeed happening. To confirm it, I also filmed the calendar which showed the date and time.

The service manager said they were stumped and even tried to solicit help directly from Ford engineers. Nothing (frightening, actually). He walked me to my car, started her up, backed out of my spot using the camera just fine. I said thank you and drove away. So I'm off to get a quick haircut in Caldwell, come out, put truck in reverse to pull out and whala, "rear camera not working, please contact your dealer". I could hear the gremlins under the hood giggling.

I will pull fuse 29 AND 34 for no other reason than I simply don't know what to do. Ford is not even of any help. As many of you know, this feature is incredibly useful when backing up to hook up your trailer. I'm back to the good 'ol days of getting it close and a few of us manually hooking up the hitch, unless it's an "on" day, when I can just use the rear camera. Luckily, my youngest is 13 and tall, so I should see her in my rear view mirror when backing out of the driveway.

Ercole

Well, it couldn't have been scripted any better.

I dropped off the Ex at the dealer on Tuesday, and of course, when I pull in, the rear camera when the vehicle is put into reverse, worked just fine. Fortunately, I filmed the screen from a day earlier to prove that it was indeed happening. To confirm it, I also filmed the calendar which showed the date and time.

The service manager said they were stumped and even tried to solicit help directly from Ford engineers. Nothing (frightening, actually). He walked me to my car, started her up, backed out of my spot using the camera just fine. I said thank you and drove away. So I'm off to get a quick haircut in Caldwell, come out, put truck in reverse to pull out and whala, "rear camera not working, please contact your dealer". I could hear the gremlins under the hood giggling.

I will pull fuse 29 AND 34 for no other reason than I simply don't know what to do. Ford is not even of any help. As many of you know, this feature is incredibly useful when backing up to hook up your trailer. I'm back to the good 'ol days of getting it close and a few of us manually hooking up the hitch, unless it's an "on" day, when I can just use the rear camera. Luckily, my youngest is 13 and tall, so I should see her in my rear view mirror when backing out of the driveway.

Ercole
Since you have taken it in and the dealer is unable to find the problem, I suggest you send a PM to Crystal, one of the Ford reps on this site. See my email post #23 above if you are not sure of the procedure.
If your screen works under all other conditions, perhaps it is a loose connection somewhere.
Good luck.

Peter

... Ford is not even of any help...

Hi ercole,

Shoot me a PM with your information so I can look into this for you. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Since you have taken it in and the dealer is unable to find the problem, I suggest you send a PM to Crystal, one of the Ford reps on this site...

Thanks for recommending me, Peter!

Crystal

Hi ercole,

Shoot me a PM with your information so I can look into this for you. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

I just did. Thank you.

Ercole

Hi ercole,

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

I just did. Thank you.

Ercole

Hi Ercole,

I received your PM and responded with your case information. Let me know if you have any questions!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back up camera

Had mine go out, also, and dealer repaired it (didn't give details) and it took some time. When I got it back, I now have a 3-tone chime every time I use Reverse. Very annoying and dealer says "it's normal." With traffic sensor and reverse chime, wow what a concert, NOT!

Back