Rearview Camera Problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had mine go out, also, and dealer repaired it (didn't give details) and it took some time. When I got it back, I now have a 3-tone chime every time I use Reverse. Very annoying and dealer says "it's normal." With traffic sensor and reverse chime, wow what a concert, NOT!
I'm happy to hear that you got it fixed but I don't know about the "it's normal" remark. It didn't come from the factory that way. :scratch:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

Thanks for the info. Peter. I think I updated my vehicle info. If it doesn't show I have a 2011 ford explorer limited and my rear camera doesn't work anymore and I've tried disconnecting the battery and pulling fuse 29 both to no avail. The reason I checked this forum is because I did take this to the dealer and they actually could not figure out the problem. Maybe it could be the actual camera defaulting? Anyone have any other suggestions?

UPDATE: I take my car into the dealer for the second time, and now the "contact your dealership" screen is consistently on now. After a full day of diagnosis and deliberations the dealer determined that I need to replace my backup camera. Only problem is that the car isn't under warranty anymore and the camera is $400! Dealer is charging $605 to fix! Ouch, I will have to deal without this little guy for a looong while. Just figured this might help someone else.

I should update everyone reading this thread with the results of my experience.

After the dealer replaced the rear camera, the lines and colored blocks disappeared when the vehicle was in reverse. The beeping tone continued to operate when approaching objects backing up. After the Fuse 29 AND 34 pull, still nothing. I reached out to Chrystal who escalated the issue to my regional rep Angela, but I will add that I never had to battle with my dealer since they wanted this corrected too, so everyone was in help mode.

Well, Peter speculated that the APIM may be the culprit, and it was. Nice diagnostic work Peter without even seeing my truck. That was also replaced.

All appears to be in working order now and covered under warranty. Thanks to all.

Just a FYI, my radio/sat. station sets were still there after the APIM replacement, but all of the wallpapers are gone. Note an issue, I just thought that all would have been wiped clear. That system may be controlled by a separate module?

Ercole

Backup camera issues

Last month I started to have issues with my backup camera as follows;

1. Only works 50% of the time
2. The guide lines don't appear even though setting says so.
3. Shows mirror image (left-right opposite) which really creeps me!

I received a letter from Ford about software enhancement thru upgrade to the newest version 3.6.
I have v. 3.5.1 and my online sync account says that this is the latest version, and no need to update.

I'm really confuse because I need to update to 3.6 but, my account wouldn't allow me. Is there other way I could download 3.6?

My camera is doing funky stuff too the past month or so. It still works, but, the guide lines are gone.

Other options are to go to your dealership or contact Rebecca in the IVT forum and they will mail you the USB drive with the update on it.

Last month I started to have issues with my backup camera as follows;

1. Only works 50% of the time
2. The guide lines don't appear even though setting says so.
3. Shows mirror image (left-right opposite) which really creeps me!

I received a letter from Ford about software enhancement thru upgrade to the newest version 3.6.
I have v. 3.5.1 and my online sync account says that this is the latest version, and no need to update.

I'm really confuse because I need to update to 3.6 but, my account wouldn't allow me. Is there other way I could download 3.6?
There have been quite a few instances where members, including myself, were not provided with the latest 3.6.2 update on their account. I asked to have mine sent by mail on a USB drive. That was over a month ago and I'm still waiting. If it isn't here by the end of October, I'll ask the dealer to do the update when I bring my Explorer in to have the Winter wheels put on.
I have had no issues with the rearview camera or the guidelines. I did find that a few weeks ago the coloured warning zone setting turned itself OFF but I set it back to ON and no further problem.

Peter

I've updated to V3.6.2 today, and by testing the rear camera multiple times it seems to be turning on. (Will have to confirm repeatability in the coming days)

But, I still have the following rear camera issues;
1. The guide lines don't appear even though setting says so.
2. Shows mirror image (left-right opposite)

My safety concern is the mirror image showing in the monitor. Because an object in my rear right side would appear in the left side shown in the monitor. And this really confuse me while I'm backing.
(FYI: Been using Explorer since Jan. 2011, and it's only last week that I started noticing the rear camera has mirror image showing in the monitor)

Could it be that camera is already malfunctioning that even a software update wouldn't resolve this?

I'll be going to my dealer to check the backup camera issue (left-right opposite) as mentioned to me by SYNC support chat.

I'll be going to my dealer to check the backup camera issue (left-right opposite) as mentioned to me by SYNC support chat.

If you need assistance following your appointment, michael_jp, just send me a PM and I'll check out ways to help. Be sure to include your name, phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership in your message.

My camera is doing funky stuff too the past month or so. It still works, but, the guide lines are gone.

Hi Bill#4Explorer,

Have you brought this to the attention of your dealership? Let me know when you receive a diagnosis.

Crystal

FordService
Crystal,

I've sent you a PM regarding the information you mentioned. I truly appreciate FordService proactive assistance to customers like us who are having issues. Hope we could resolve my backup camera issue (left-right opposite) thru the dealership.

Rear Camera/Monitor Confused

So, the dealer replaced our 2011 Ford Explorer My Touch Screen when it cracked and ever since then, the image shown on the monitor when in reverse is backwards, so the cars on the left behind you are showing that they are on the right in the monitor, a tad bit confusing. Does anyone know how to change the orientation back??

So, the dealer replaced our 2011 Ford Explorer My Touch Screen when it cracked and ever since then, the image shown on the monitor when in reverse is backwards, so the cars on the left behind you are showing that they are on the right in the monitor, a tad bit confusing. Does anyone know how to change the orientation back??
Welcome to the Forum Fordunsure.:wavey:
I'm not sure if this a hardware or software issue. In any case, there is a another thread in the 'Discussion' forum that also touches on this so I will move your post over to that one.
I suggest that you send a PM (private message) to Crystal (FordService) and ask her to assist. She is one of the Ford reps that monitors this forum.

Peter

Hi Fordunsure,

I responded to your PM regarding this issue; check out your inbox for my most recent message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I've been to the dealer last Saturday and they found out that the rear camera is defective. And also found issue in the heater system, so I'll be dropping off my Explorer to the dealer this week so they could further look at the issue. Hopefully they could give me a car loaner.

I've updated to V3.6.2 today, and by testing the rear camera multiple times it seems to be turning on. (Will have to confirm repeatability in the coming days)

But, I still have the following rear camera issues;
1. The guide lines don't appear even though setting says so.
2. Shows mirror image (left-right opposite)

My safety concern is the mirror image showing in the monitor. Because an object in my rear right side would appear in the left side shown in the monitor. And this really confuse me while I'm backing.
(FYI: Been using Explorer since Jan. 2011, and it's only last week that I started noticing the rear camera has mirror image showing in the monitor)

Could it be that camera is already malfunctioning that even a software update wouldn't resolve this?

Update: Issue solved!
Dealer fixed the backup camera issue and heater issue. Car rental was paid by the dealer.

Back up camera issue - Help!

Hi all,

I'm experiencing something odd with the rear view camera lately, and there's nothing to explain what brought it on since MFT has been working just fine for me since the latest upgrade. It started in last 2 weeks.

Sometimes the rear camera does not come on when the vehicle is put into reverse, as the OP states in the first thread. But I may come back later in the day (after work, say) and the rear camera works just fine...lines and all. The rear beeping still works when in reverse even though the screen will say "camera not working, please visit your dealership". Then later, it's as if nothing has happened.

I did a master reset thinking something just got a little screwy, and all appeared to be in working order. Then maybe just a day later, we're back to the screen blanking out intermittenly again. I just don't want to have to deal with going to the dealership and them saying they can't reproduce the problem. I tried running a vehicle health report, and nothing is listed. Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and how they resolved it.

Ercole

My 2011 Ford Explorer Limited is now doing what Ercole and jakelornkate is doing. Back up camera is working sporadically. Sometimes back up view stays at home screen and sometimes goes to black screen with "camera not working, please visit your dealership".

We all have 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Is there and issue? Has anyone been able to fix it?

My 2011 Ford Explorer Limited is now doing what Ercole and jakelornkate is doing. Back up camera is working sporadically. Sometimes back up view stays at home screen and sometimes goes to black screen with "camera not working, please visit your dealership".

We all have 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Is there and issue? Has anyone been able to fix it?
Welcome to the Forum Trey0023. :wavey:
No issues with mine so far. Although this likely won't fix your problem, have you tried changing the setting on the Rear Camera Delay?
Like I said it likely won't help but it is something you can try to see if it might possibly do something. Other than that. I suggest taking a picture of the error/warning message so that you have something to show the dealer, who probably won't be able to reproduce it.
Good luck.

Peter

Hey Trey,

See my conclusion in thread #32 here.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3182450&postcount=32

It should be covered under your warranty.

Ercole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to group- question about back up Camera on 2011 Explorer

Thanks for allowing me to join and post.

I bought a used 2011 Ford Explorer and love everything about it. great vehicle! My only frustration and a question to the group is involving the back up camera that seems to work once in a while.

More times than not I does not operate and has the alert that it's not working and to contact the a Ford dealership.

With a little searching I have read everything from owners who removed and replaced a fuse and resolved the issue to others who say its because of Sirius radio interference. more than a few have gone to the dealership and they did not get the issue resolved.

Anyone have this experience who has had success getting the camera to work consistently?

Thanks in advance

DalV

Back