Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

you going to keep it the dark green?

i really like that lighter green(spruce green?) of the '99.

anyway looks great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:mattmoon:
Djneff said:
I would just buy another one. Time and mony put in ain't worth it.

Yes, I'll keep the dark tourmaline pearl color, I like dark colors. The right doors have large pinstripe vinyl on them, to protect against scratches. I ordered it as dark forest green, and it doesn't match worth crap. I should try again to find a better match. Regards,

I am likeing this project alot , good work, just one question? what with the photo chop on the pic of the tailgate/tail lights? the left is gen Iand the left is gen II

Sorry I wasnt very clear, but are the 1st and second gen doors the same?

thewishkah said:
I am likeing this project alot , good work, just one question? what with the photo chop on the pic of the tailgate/tail lights? the left is gen Iand the left is gen II

thats not a photoshop...he modded the 95-97 taillight to fit on the 1 gen. you just have to trim alittle off the back and re-seal it. he dident do anything with the hatch. ;)

sweet ! i need to do that to mine !

wow this is awesome. MORE PICS! haha.

I am not sure about the doors, the entire shape. I am keeping the 93 doors with the rear 93 body, so the front edge is all I haven't confirmed yet. I may just rebuild the 99 title, meaning title it as a 99, for insurance purposes. The value doesn't matter to me, the mileage or year labeling. It's only for my work use, I will eventually wear it out. Regards,

Projectthread008.JPG

they mate up! hahaha Looking good so far, I still think you're nuts but wish I could come over and help!

Putting the 99 fenders, hood, etc on the 93 would have been easier, no? drill the fenders, massage the radiator support (or cut it out and replace with the 99) I have never done this just going by what I have researched. Is there more to it then that?

My project is to improve the whole drivetrain, so I need the whole 99 chassis. The body work is the easiest way to make everything bolt on. There won't be any fabrication required for any of the front engine bay parts, including AC. By using the 99 wiring, there will be no wiring issues.

To change just the front body parts, the upper section of the 95-01 under hood clip is needed. I was going to use my 93 frontend. That would have been the same thing. The top half of the radiator support would be needed, from the bottom of the headlight buckets up, plus the top edge of the side fender mounting supports.

After seeing what actual parts will be left of my 93, I will probably apply for a rebuilders permit for the 99. For insurance, what matters most is the firewall VIN area. Since my 93 was rebuilt that way to begin with, I know how the procedure works, and the only additional cost is about $50. Regards,

Do you have any more pics the job looks sweet so far

I had to stop last weekend. Rain, cold weather, and heavy mail has kept me away from it. Hopefully today I'll get to mount the doors and fenders, to check the fit. With the alignment confirmed, and weld prep done, then I need to get a welder to it.

Here is a picture of the match of the right front pillar. Regards,

Projectthread009.JPG

I see what you mean, but believe you could skip the upper part of the inner fenders and just drill the gen I to accept the Gen II fenders?

I believe you could put a Gen III nose on a Gen I by cutting out and swapping the radiator support?

what engine is in the 99? Because you still have a 93 frame correct with TTB?
the SOHC 4.0L and 5.0L use engine mounts and oil pans that fit the IFS.

I know you are ahead of me on this stuff, I just want to make sure I understand what your plans are.

Did you get your lift just for this project or do you do this sort of thing all the time?

Drool on your lift! thats so cool, I am not sure my neighbors would like that a whole lot :p

There are problems with the 2nd gen trucks that I am just now starting to learn about. I just had the crank pulley bolt sheer off of the 2000 motor I have in my 91. I did some searching and found a couple of threads talking about the crank shaft actualy snapping off where the pulley mounts :mad:

If you want the new look front end, you can get a fiber front end that bolts right up to the 1st gen clip I think for 750 bucks. replace bushings, seals, and maybe a tranny rebuild and your back in buisnes. Oh too late you already swiss cheesed your truck :D Mr I have a lift in my backyard :p

For swapping just the front end body parts, you will need the top edge of the other front clip. The 1st Gen. fenders are higher than the 2nd Gen. fenders. They both start at the same point, at the back of the hood, but the 95+ model fenders slope downward to a point several inches below where the 91-94 does. The radiator supports are about the same height at the center, but the corner area is several inches lower on the 95+ supports.

I planned this to save money in selling/buying a newer truck. I like the usefulness of the 93, I will be able to install a master window switch panel into the right door panel. EDIT; I ended up using the 99 door panels, so the wiring connectors etc, matched. It was just as easy to do the master switch on them as the older panels would be to do.

Basically I am using the firewall and clip, dash, wiring, and 95+ front body parts, to make everything bolt together, on the 2nd gen chassis. Other than the clipping, everything is basic stuff that anyone could do.

For insurance purposes, it appears that officially fixing the 99 vehicle is what I need to do. Meaning that I am officially rebuilding the 99, by using the good body from the 93.

Yes I planned this with the lift in mind. Lifting a body off of a frame is not a job for a cherry picker. Regards,

This is the 99 chassis, SOHC 4x4

Attachments

• Projectthread010.JPG
    Projectthread010.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,063
  • Projectthread011.JPG
    Projectthread011.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,048

I'd love to work on my trck with no body! It'd make eveything soooo much eaier!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

If you were in CO I would be coming over, I have been back and forth on whether to fix my rust or just start with a fresh BII cab :)

Back