• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Recommendations for a bi-directional scan tool.

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Hello there -

questions for all the DIY-ers and shop owners.
What is a decent scan tool that goes beyond a basic code reader and can also communicate back with the car ie: purge valve command, etc.

I am looking for example at LAUNCH X431 TOUCH PRO OBD2 but I know other companies make them. My problem is I do not know much, almost nothing yet about those LOL

I am looking to spend $ 300-400 ???
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc

MotorCityFats13

Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
yeah thats what I use forscan and an elm327 with hs/ms switch but you only need the switch to edit those settings like changing the oil change intervals ect ... the only thing i have really done is the abs purge function

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
yeah thats what I use forscan and an elm327 with hs/ms switch but you only need the switch to edit those settings like changing the oil change intervals ect ... the only thing i have really done is the abs purge function
Paying for the elm is worth it just to do the breaks alone :)

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Thanks all for the replies.
I have Forscan and it's great.
I never knew I can command back to the car with that.

I asked the question since I get asked by friend and family members to check their cars as well. So while Forscan works for our 2 Fords, I'd like to have something more universal - thus the question.

MotorCityFats13

Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Paying for the elm is worth it just to do the breaks alone :)
I bought my first elm327 just for reading codes later on I found forscan and was amazed that it could reprogram keys and reprogram the ABS pump to vin match which was what i needed to swap out my faulty cluster with a working one and matching pcm all in all... $10 elm, $10 forscan license, $20 cluster, $15 pcm and key programming with big thanks to a junkyard that had the parts I needed.... having the dealer do this would have bled me dry