recommended tire pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

recommended tire pressure

I recently got a set of bfg all terrain tires. size:245/70/16
what tire pressure do you guys recommend? I'm currently running them at 37psi. The truck is a 2002 ford explorer xlt 4x4.
thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is marked on the side wall of the tire. should say something like max load at XXpsi

I think my BFG's were 60psi tires so I always run mine about 5 pounds less then the max, that way you get good fuel economy and not quite as harsh as the max psi.

Oh btw.. ignore the PSI reccomendation on the door sticker of the truck. IMHO that was a bad idea that ford even puts it there. Always read the manufacturers recomended rating on the sidwall of the tire.

The only real way to know the correct pressure is to to a chalk test (some people do it with water).

Basically, you draw a line across the tread, drive straight a little bit and then look at the chalk mark.. If it is worn more on the edges you don't have enough air. If the center wears first you have too much.

Running Max or anywhere near max pressure when you don't need to can/will cause the center of the tire to wear out first.

~Mark

I have been running my past two sets of tires (BFG MT and AT) at around 35-40 psi, and they have worn very well/evenly (when the alignment was good). I still have a spare MT that i drove almost 30,000 miles on and it is in incredible condition, it couldn't have worn more evenly. It looks like it could go another 20,000 miles. 55 psi seems too high to me. Even tire shops, including 4WP, inflated mine to 35-40. But now that i am thinking about it, i'm going to do the chalk test myself.

I run 40 psi at the beginning of the month, and then run 35 at the end.:D
It works out fine for me, no strange tire wear yet.

Running Max or anywhere near max pressure when you don't need to can/will cause the center of the tire to wear out first.

~Mark

I've never expirienced that with my tires. they always seem to wear evenly, maybe the fact that I tow, and try to rotate my tires regularly is the difference. :dunno:

I've never expirienced that with my tires. they always seem to wear evenly, maybe the fact that I tow, and try to rotate my tires regularly is the difference. :dunno:

Thats very possible.

When they are on the back, you have the extra weight so you should have the extra air.. You rotate your tires so the ones wearing in the center up front are cleaned up when on the rear..

Next time you get a set of tires do the chalk test running your normal pressure. It is possible that your tires are 60psi max but for only 2200 lbs in which case near the max is right for you... It depends on the load carrying capacity of the tire vrs air pressure vrs how much weight you actually carry.

~Mark

Does it count that I ran over a squirrel the other day and had a perfect tread pattern across it's back :D JK

I'll try the chalk test, btw the tires I have now are not the BFG's I was talking about, and they are only 35psi tires.

but hopefully BFG's will be in my near future again... just need to decide the whole 15" versus 16" wheel dilemma

thanks for all the replies. the max pressure on the tires is 65psi so I'm not running them at 60psi. I think I will do the chalk test.

One more note- the chalk test should be done on new tires- once there is (could be) abnormal wear, the test is skewed.

I was LOL-ing about the factory sticker in my X last night- 26psi?!?! Riiiiiiight... Nice job there, Ford... :D

Does anybody know where they calculated the 26psi from?

The 26 PSI gives the best ride without the risk of blowing a bead. I run about 32-35 PSI in my Sport with 31" BGF ATs. They seem to be wearing evenly so far. They ride and handle great. I drove them on the highway at about 25 PSI for about 45 miles with no adverse effects. Usually as you step up in tire size, you need less pressure to support the vehicle.

Dan

i run 20 psi in my pro comp mud terrains and its like im floating on .....well air..now...as a tire shop employee, if the tire calls for 65, id run 60...but considering its an ex .....40-45 would be good...

Back