Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vince and Peter. First of all thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here amongst all us fellow Explorer owners.

Thanks also for the info. As much as I hate the limited space, I'll learn to love it despite the price. Regardless I love my X more than I loved my Edge. Things have changed a lot since the 1995 Explorer (or more affectionately Exploder) that I had in college.

EW
Eric, I seem to recall that there was a member who had the 2nd row buckets and was looking for a bench seat. I'll see if I can find that post.

Here is the thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364395&highlight=bench

sticker500 is the member. Perhaps you can send a private message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everybody!

I was thinking about changing the 2nd row bench to captain seats and I'm looking for some tips and feedback.

Can anybody tell me if the captain seats can fit into the existing bolts infrastructure? I guess I want to know if I can replace them myself :)
Where's a good place to get captain seats (new or used) online?
Can the captain seats move back and forth like the front row seats do?
And does anybody have relevant photos or drawings?

I'd appreciate any help

Cheers,
Efi

Hi everybody!

I was thinking about changing the 2nd row bench to captain seats and I'm looking for some tips and feedback.

Can anybody tell me if the captain seats can fit into the existing bolts infrastructure? I guess I want to know if I can replace them myself :)
Where's a good place to get captain seats (new or used) online?
Can the captain seats move back and forth like the front row seats do?
And does anybody have relevant photos or drawings?

I'd appreciate any help

Cheers,
Efi
Welcome to the Forum efi.:wavey:
I know some members discussed this before but I didn't find any thread that mentioned a successful installation.
Second row buckets when oredred from the factory do slide back and forth and I believe also recline somewhat. Because of this, I don't know if the bolt patterns are the same. Have you tried asking your dealer's parts department regarding this matter and the availability of ordering them?
You may also want to think about posting your questions in the Modified 2011+ Explorer Discussion Forum.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Good luck.

Peter

The buckets will bolt right in. However, if you have BLIS you will need to find buckets also equipped with the system. Your best bet on finding some for a decent price is a salvage yard, specifically one that deals in late model parts (Keystone, LKQ). The downside is that Explorers with buckets are not easy to come by since they have only been available in the Limited until the middle of 2012 with the addition of XLT's with leather. Plus they are only available in leather, so if you have cloth....

The buckets will bolt right in. However, if you have BLIS you will need to find buckets also equipped with the system. Your best bet on finding some for a decent price is a salvage yard, specifically one that deals in late model parts (Keystone, LKQ). The downside is that Explorers with buckets are not easy to come by since they have only been available in the Limited until the middle of 2012 with the addition of XLT's with leather. Plus they are only available in leather, so if you have cloth....
Why would there be any connection between the type of seat and the Blind Spot Information System??? :scratch:

Peter

Rear Seats/BLIS

I believe the issue he is referring to is the inflatable rear seat belts that come as part of the package with the BLIS system.

I believe the issue he is referring to is the inflatable rear seat belts that come as part of the package with the BLIS system.
I would have thought the inflatable belts would be affected by the Collision Warning system.

Peter

I didn't mean BLIS, meant inflatable seat belts. Was thinking about the belts and since it's part of the same package it just came out as BLIS as I typed. Glad someone's paying attention.

I would have thought the inflatable belts would be affected by the Collision Warning system.
Also, the inflatable belts are not just exclusive to the bucket seats.

Peter

If he has inflatable seat belts with the bench, he will need to find bucket seats from a vehicle with inflatable belts since the buckles are different than regular ones. The inflators are in the seats themselves.

If he has inflatable seat belts with the bench, he will need to find bucket seats from a vehicle with inflatable belts since the buckles are different than regular ones. The inflators are in the seats themselves.
That is correct Riley.
"In the event of a frontal or side-impact crash, an accordian-folded tubular bag located inside the shoulder belt section inflates through a specially designed buckle using cold compressed gas from a cylinder located below the seat."

Peter

Aside from the MFT issues and the impromptu power steering failures, the 2nd row bench has to be the most frustrating part of owning my Explorer.

I have three children and when I bought the Ex I thought (was told by the salesman) the 2nd row could slide so that you could gain easy access to the 3rd row. It wasn't until we took delivery and we started playing with it the I realized my orignal impressions were wrong. Yes, my bad I guess for listening to a salesman. This was the same guy who told me about all the wonderful features the Sync system had, that I only discovered later are not available to Canadians.

There is nothing more frustrating then having to fold and flip the seat everytime my kids need to get in and out, plus you cannot do it if you have a child seat in the second row. Horrible design.

The Mazda CX-9, basically the same as the Ex, has a sliding 2nd row with a lever to tip the seatback forward. I was wondering if those seats would possibly fit, but now that I know the Ex bucket options do, perhaps I'll look into finding them. I wish I could find someone locally that would trade their buckets for my bench.

Aside from the MFT issues and the impromptu power steering failures, the 2nd row bench has to be the most frustrating part of owning my Explorer.

I have three children and when I bought the Ex I thought (was told by the salesman) the 2nd row could slide so that you could gain easy access to the 3rd row. It wasn't until we took delivery and we started playing with it the I realized my orignal impressions were wrong. Yes, my bad I guess for listening to a salesman. This was the same guy who told me about all the wonderful features the Sync system had, that I only discovered later are not available to Canadians.

There is nothing more frustrating then having to fold and flip the seat everytime my kids need to get in and out, plus you cannot do it if you have a child seat in the second row. Horrible design.

The Mazda CX-9, basically the same as the Ex, has a sliding 2nd row with a lever to tip the seatback forward. I was wondering if those seats would possibly fit, but now that I know the Ex bucket options do, perhaps I'll look into finding them. I wish I could find someone locally that would trade their buckets for my bench.
Only the second row bucket seats slide and recline. As you have found out, the bench does slide.

Peter

The passenger side seat of my bench slides and reclines.

The passenger side seat of my bench slides and reclines.
I stand corrected. I should have verified my info first. I just found that my both the 40 and 60 sides of the bench seat recline but neither slides. I only have one lever on each side of the bench and that is to fold the back of the seat forward to fold flat or backward to recline. There doesn't seem to be any lever to allow for it to slide. Perhaps that is new on the 2013.

Peter

The dealer made it slide when he was going over the truck at delivery. I haven't done it since. I'll take a peek tomorrow and see where the lever/handle is.

The dealer made it slide when he was going over the truck at delivery. I haven't done it since. I'll take a peek tomorrow and see where the lever/handle is.

Please post some pictures if you can. I'm not seeing any way to slde it forward. I can make it recline and tumble on both sides.

All the way back
i-hjc76cZ-L.jpg

All the way forward
i-ZWkVGFg-L.jpg

Release handle just like the front seat if it wasn't power.
i-WqsXvBW-L.jpg

2nd Row Bench

Thanks for the pictures 13. While mine will recline, there is no release handle to allow either side to slide forward. Must be an update to the new model.

Peter

Strange.. here's how mine look. Notice that there's no handle to make it slide
Mine's a '13 Limited with the "Luxury" perforated leather and 2nd row bench (7 seats)
I have the Air Bag rear seat belts too.. maybe that's got something to do with it???

E117-4EC5-B8D4-D699BC5F9CBC-11508-00001030651B89E8.jpg

E015-43F2-BA3E-D865DBC2156C-11508-0000103070D4757D.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange.. here's how mine look. Notice that there's no handle to make it slide
Mine's a '13 Limited with the "Luxury" perforated leather and 2nd row bench (7 seats)
I have the Air Bag rear seat belts too.. maybe that's got something to do with it???
That is what mine look like in the 2011 Limited. No inflatable belts.

13. what model do you have? It isn't indicated in your vehicle specs.

Peter

Back