Return from Moab 2009! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Moab 2009!

You'll be good...and if you're too slow, I'll pull the magnet I put on Kevin's truck and slap it on yours.

FrequentStops6x24.jpg

*inside joke, I found it on a mail truck at the junkyard and tagged Kevin's truck friday night*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll be good...and if you're too slow, I'll pull the magnet I put on Kevin's truck and slap it on yours.

FrequentStops6x24.jpg

*inside joke, I found it on a mail truck at the junkyard and tagged Kevin's truck friday night*

Proudly worn:D At least until I have someone to pass it on to. I'll get a picture and post it later.

A few more pictures:

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1084.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1093.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

A few more pictures:

DSCN1077.jpg

damn thats some good spotting! lol we did some great ones, Like when MoabB2's brother started climbing the v after high dive, and his G/F says I hope he doesn't mess it up! then he walked right up it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few more pictures:

DSCN1077.jpg

damn thats some good spotting! lol we did some great ones, Like when MoabB2's brother started climbing the v after high dive, and his G/F says I hope he doesn't mess it up! then he walked right up it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing we are watching so closely I don't think he would have made it :p:

A few more pictures:

DSCN1077.jpg

"HMMMM, let's find some shade here and get out of our hot trucks. :rolleyes: And oh yeah, we can 'spot' MoabB2, sound like a plan?"

Yeah I heard that guys. :) Couldn't have made it without ya~!;)

"HMMMM, let's find some shade here and get out of our hot trucks. :rolleyes: And oh yeah, we can 'spot' MoabB2, sound like a plan?"

Yeah I heard that guys. :) Couldn't have made it without ya~!;)

Or how about; "Wow, did that chick just take off her top??"

did you get pics of that part... lol

This is very intersting, I was just searching something and a Moab 2001 thread came up, I decided to read it to hear how it was 8 years ago vs. today and HOW SIMILAR DOES THIS SOUND.

Rick, I never heard you mention this at camp, so very similar to our run!

Just before lunch at the overlook I noticed my steering was a bit tight. I thought my airlocker hadn't fully disengaged which is quite common for the first few feet after an obstacle. I parked the truck at the lunch spot and didn't think about it again.... until after lunch when I got in the truck and the steering was still tight. As soon as I felt the tightness my stomach dropped and I knew exactly what was wrong before I even looked. It felt the same way the first time I wheeled with it after my solid axle conversion. That was the feeling of the track bar mount being torn loose from the frame. The reason the steering felt tight is because I was pushing the entire axle side to side everytime I turned the wheel!

Now, this is where being prepared for a hard core trail is EXTREMELY important. We were 10 miles in to a 20 mile long trail with no easy way out. Either way would be filled with obstacles and towing a rig with a "floating" front axle would be nearly impossible in these conditions.

I have been carrying an onboard welder,the Ready Welder, with me for the past couple years. It's the best birthday present Char ever bought me! After looking at the bracket which was torn away from the frame, I knew I needed the help of David Meisner. David has done some excellent fab work for himself and others in the Denver area. I knew that David's welding skills were better than mine as I had just started welding with the purchase of this welder. This was no time to test my fabrication skills! In my bag of goodies I had thrown in a couple strips of steel that I had cut for use as shackles, David used those to brace the broken mount. The welder worked great. We only used flux core wire, so the weld was a bit on the ugly side in places, but the trail repair held up for the rest of the trip without any problems! Thanks David!

Okay, note to self; When I do the SAS, make a extra beefy track bar mount and plate the heck out of the frame.

I used liquid nail on mine! Working great! :thumbsup:

Okay, note to self; When I do the SAS, make a extra beefy track bar mount and plate the heck out of the frame.

I don't think frame plating is needed unless you run into Marshall's problem where instead of the welds breaking, the frame rips. However, it wouldn't hurt. I do strongly recommend gussets and bracing to the engine crossmember for the rear of the bracket, and Moab 4x4 put a front gusset at a 45 degree angle on the front of the bracket to the frame.

Danny, your right, the similarity of the trac bar breaks are way to close. It took both of us two times to get it right. I will be gusseting Painter Ken's this weekend as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I kinda let you guys and my gf talk me out of the trail run (no lockers) so I found some more mild trails to hit that day. It was very nice meeting all of you and on the next outing I should have a more capable rig.
IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

kk144

and elephant hill the next day
IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

Nice pics. Glad you got to run some trails. Look forward to running with you next time.:salute:

Back