Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 177 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

DSC02724.jpg

Not one of Samson's better mods, but none the less it gets the job done until the tranny is pulled.
Since the first time I over filled the tranny due to climbs that kept the fluid level away from the pickup, it has leaked. Not all that bad but when it does leak it's right on top of the exhaust. Not a good smell. Probably the front seal.

All I did was to cut a piece of galvanized pipe lengthwise, weld tab and attach to a pre existing hole in bellhousing.
On the exhaust you can see two spot that it would leak on. So now just funnel in another direction.l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC02725.jpg

Bats.
Found cardboard and you should have by Tue. May want to use your Ford emblem. Just unbolts.

A 16' trailer is where it is at, you will want to use it for other things, my Dad and my buddy Eric both have 16' car haulers and I wouldn't want them any shorter.

A 16' trailer is where it is at, you will want to use it for other things, my Dad and my buddy Eric both have 16' car haulers and I wouldn't want them any shorter.

Gene, my friend who gave me the axles and tires said the same thing.
So I guess the verdict is in...16 foot it is.
Thinking that I could put a couple ATVs behind Samson also.
This will most likely be a winter time project using some tax $$.
Just don't know about the ramps? Have them hinged so they flip up or slide under trailer. Gene's has his so they just flip up or down.

DSC02728.jpg

Doing a little tune up. I'm going back to the old style spark plug with the flat electrode cause it's just so easy to bring back to an almost new condition.
I've tried all those fancy multi point type and they got my money now back to what works the best for me.

Thanks again, Rick. No rush really since I started down the engine swap path this weekend.

Thanks again, Rick. No rush really since I started down the engine swap path this weekend.

And a worthwhile endeavor, I might add :salute:

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

Just getting some ideas on making trailer. These two are owned by a friend of mine who is into Hot Rods big time and who operates a car and truck shows on the week ends at various locations. The pics are of his 18' trailer and the other a 16'. May go with two strips of expanded metal on either side of trailer for the tires and that way the center will be open.
Once I start on this I'll put a build thread together on the Trailer forum.
That is unless I find one dirt cheap.

DSC02734.jpg

Here's a Jag kit car he just got.

DSC02730.jpg

Changing Tstate for the summertime, but ran into a problem concerning replacing the gasket.
It's not a standard flat gasket, but one that is about 3/16 to a 1/4" thick that fits in a groove in the housing. No luck finding one so enter the Right Stuff sealant.
What I did was to use the aerosol can of Right Stuff and fill the groove with the RS and even over the whole part that connects to manifold.
Waited 5 min to skim over and then the most important part. Just applies a few inch pounds to the nuts. Remember this stuff will cure like hard rubber. So it's important not to over torque while curing.
I let stand until next morning and until hard. Also this is an adhesive type sealer so again only the slightest amount of torque was used on the bolts.
Works like a charm.

DSC02748.jpg

If you look close you can see that I used it on the timing cover and water pump and Intake manifold at each of the valleys.

Just thinking out loud here about the trailer.

I don't think a dovetail is needed on a trailer unless you are going to load low/lowered vehicles. Definitely not for the B2. They may limit your route as well, depending on driveway entrances, etc.

That's a good point, especially if I need to recover the B2 in some backwoods area.
If I do anything along those lines it would be like the last pick of the trailers.
Note how it's still flat along the bottom. The top angle downs to the lower edge of the channel.

I like the setup on the cheap trailer I got for my B2. Its low and has a dovetail. I wanted it low because pulling an already lifted truck at hwy speeds catches some wind. Also with my dovetail I'll be able to drive the B2 on with out any ramps. Just make sure the low point of the dovetail is smooth so if it scrapes it will just slide along without catching on anything.

Ive driven my bII up on a few trailers without a dovetail or ramps, including the time i had a bent link mount. I think Rick probably wouldnt need ramps to drive up on a car hauler either

I'm definitely no trailer expert (I borrow a friend of a friend's) but around here, any dovetail I see is scraping almost everything. It's mainly the driveway entrances to gas stations or rest stops, and even the trailer I borrow (a 16'er) has scraped on a few things. Especially dirt roads getting to the camp spots, there are some water ruts that I've scraped on.

I guess it depends a little on where you are.

IMG_7065.jpg

My classy $400 trailer in all it's glory. Good enough fro how much it will get used and it has electric brakes on both axles.
(after putting new spring hangers and shackles on it more like a $475 trailer...:D)

2462129330084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

What a steal. Like the floor material.

I'm pretty sure someone torched up a semi truck car hauler and a mobile home trailer to make it. Like I said, its pretty classy, but its light, has brakes and works for what I need. I do still have some work I want to do to it, but it's usable the way it is. If I remember right it's got around 18 feet of usable length.

I wish something like that would come up around my area for 475 too. Need one for my brothers new dirt track car. Cant find any types of trailers around here for that price. Except really tiny ones.

Thought about using out little single axle utility trailer to haul it, but figured that might end up bad..

Carlisleemailpic.png

A Special Thank You from Rick Markko the Event Manager
What can I say other than a resounding "Thank You!" to the thousnds of enthusiasts that attended the event making it one for the record books. We did move the bar higher this year with over 2800 registered vehicles in attendance. If you were here, thanks! If you were not, you missed one helluva celebration of Ford beginning with the exceedingly popular Lightweight Reunion and an awesome display of those fantastic vehicles. We then captured the moment when it came time to mourn the passing of a dear friend, and Team Shelby Northeast led the celebration of the life of the Man, the Machine, our Mentor, Carroll Shelby. We have a lot of work to do to maintain the bar. We're on it! See ya June 7-9, 2013.

So Many Cars, So Many Awards
Ford weekend featured a record number of cars on grounds and as part of the annual Sunday awards parade, many of the cars on grounds were honored. Several hundred awards were presented to deserving car owners and show particpants. If you won, congratuations...and if not, thank you so much for making Carlisle part of your weekend. Either way, you being here was very special to us.

All the above and pic was in an email from Carlisle events. I knew it was a large show but just found out it set a record.
And the above pic still does not show how large it was. And the economy is bad?

Got to admit the Goodies Bag sucked big time.
Now to get ready for the Truck Nationals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, is this the type threaded bung you used on your links?
Thinking of going with 2x2x1/4" links for the rear. Price for DOM is just so high and then the shipping. The money I'll save will about pay for the R&P lol. Plus 2x2 would be so strong when trying to bend on the plane. Equivalent round would have to be even larger then 2".
Plus any of your buddies use square tube links and if so, any problems?
Know of any good prices :D

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Square-Tube-Weld-In-Threaded-Inserts.html

I'll also will purchase the dana 70 5.13 and install kit tomorrow or next day.

Back