Riding down the freeway | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Riding down the freeway

What was the engine RPM? If not redlining, you weren't getting all it had. There is a known issue where the throttle cable can get some slack in it and you don't get full throttle.

Then again there are things you can do, check for misfires, check spark plugs, fuel trim, fuel pressure, check cylinder compression, check/change T-case, differential, transmission fluid, and oil, clean air filter, check for brake drag, -and- accept that the less you push it, the better off (for fuel economy too) and if someone wants to pass you, that's what the other lane(s) are for.
Thanks for addressing my quandary! I don't recall the RPM going up, doesn't the overdrive prevent that?

Well. I've got a bit to do. Thanks for the checklist! Oil changed 2 days ago full synthetic. No idea how old the spark plugs are, have Forscan for my cell phone, need to try it! (have the OBII gadget). Air filter fine, can check brake drag, although 2 days ago the retired mechanic did check my pads and rotors, said they'd last the winter, no grooves/rusty rotors either. But I don't like the braking the pedal has to go a lot further to stop!! Replace the brake fluid maybe??? I've been wanting to check the diff and transfer case, will have to learn how. As far as the trucks went, did not want to be a truck sandwich, LOL. Probably had 200-275 lbs of cargo and a full gas tank, haven't owned any vehicle this heavy either. So, also will find out re: throttle cable stretched or no. If my Ex is OK doing 60 and under for years yet, I'm satisfied! Next time will be taking slower roads, in 55 miles of higher speed, went through 1/4 tank of gas (IF the gauge is to be believed, I don't trust it. But I could gas up at the same place and see what it takes, to check that. Learning a ton from all of you at EF!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@joney does your explorer have cruise control?
Yes, and thereby hangs a tale: the 'off' electrical harness attaching to the master cylinder - the one that was recalled in '09- mine has an orange plug. Nobody can tell if it was replaced by the newer fused one, I ordered that, but haven't put it on yet! (My bad, as some of these are still catching fire!) Due to that and the steering wheel control spaces are torn up looking, have never used cruise control! I speed up on the flat stretches and slow down in the corners anyway.

Well, since these truck feel like they can't get out of their own way on hills, making you feel like you are abusing the engine, I'm goin to suggest we need to get that fixed. Driving along, tap brakes and cruise cnrtl turns off for the corners, resume button takes you back to speed. If the cruise control can keep it in the power band without illuminating a cel, I think you will be fine. Gotta push the pedal , give it a downshift sometimes to maintain speed.

Joney needs some buttons to push. Anybody have spares?

Cool! Will try it! People don't do this to their brake cables do they?

That is not the right way.

You use zip ties to take up the slack at the pedal end of the cable. Just zip one or two around the end of the cable at the end, takes up a little slack allowing the cable to pull the throttle wide open.

The axle code on the door tag is the way to lookup the ratio.

The movie Duel comes to mind...
1664681403703.png
a few others come to mind white line fever and convoy too an extent

View attachment 435151a few others come to mind white line fever and convoy too an extent
I remember the song "Convoy" (great story very popular) back in HS in the 70s, didn't see the movie but will have to see the movies you mentioned!

That is not the right way.

You use zip ties to take up the slack at the pedal end of the cable. Just zip one or two around the end of the cable at the end, takes up a little slack allowing the cable to pull the throttle wide open.
1664701192719.png

The roll over issue was more tire quality and air pressure issue related.

As mines a manual, it tops out at 70! Unless you want it screaming.

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?
I have a 1991 XLT Explorer that I bought new and it still runs. I have rebuilt the A4LD trans several times and the engine at 150K In the first year I installed Tokico shocks and put on heaview sway bars - 1" in front and rear. I also upgraded to Goodyear Wrangler 245/75R15 tires. I now run Hancook. The sway and roll stopped. I can take a 45mph freeway exit at 60mph - no problem.

I remember the song "Convoy" (great story very popular) back in HS in the 70s, didn't see the movie but will have to see the movies you mentioned!
it was the dark of the moon on the 6th of june and a kenworth pulling logs cabover mack with a can on back ;) rhe general plot of the movie is similiar to the song. white line fever is a bit more of your stereotypical trucking movie, but hey, its fun to watch 😂

I still drive a '99 with nearly 250k on the clock. It's due for upper engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuilds. It could probably also use a new ECM. They're all showing signs of age and wear. It also needs a little body work (mostly paint and latch handles) and quite a bit of interior work redone, especially stuff inside the door panels. I've rebuilt the front end steering and suspension. I still take it up to 85 on the freeway, but I only drive locally, as I'm not sure when something will finally give out. Before rebuilding the front end, I tended to keep it below 75 as the steering felt a touch loose and didn't give me much confidence in its handling.

The main thing is that you need to feel in control. If that's at 65-75, then you're fine. Just hang out in the right lane and let traffic go around you.

Driving fast is fun till something goes wrong. I was top end speed testing my van on the freeway, it pulled hard until the driveshaft launched hard. It actually broke in two places leaving the U joints at each end.

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?

Im the guy with the aerostar 1988. ha ha look what Im drivin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back