roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Incredible work, and yes, bump for updates? Rocco are you out there?! We need to see this artwork!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok......I promise I'm back for good.....

Thanks to all for the kinds words. I seriously could have never even attempted this project if it wasn't for the help and encouragement I've received from EF's members. This was my first attempt at a rebuild of this scale. I had repainted a few things in the past, nothing major, and now that's it finished I'll say I'm very happy with the outcome. To all that may want to attempt something like this, just keep in mind that it is painstakingly monotonous (sanding/buffing), somewhat costly, about a little over 3 grand invested (total) and you need a ton of patience. Otherwise if you have a set of hands and half a brain like I do, you should be good to go. I snapped a few pics with my phone over the weekend as this was the first time I've had it on the road since the tear down. I just need to vacuum and clean up the interior from the dust that has since accumulated.

I'll make sure to take some better pics with a legitimate camera for those interested....

0502001446.jpg

0502001448.jpg

0502001449.jpg

0502001447a.jpg

0429001638a.jpg

Three days shy of four years! :p: You work like I do. It came out amazing though! Your hard work shows!

Three days shy of four years! :p: You work like I do. It came out amazing though! Your hard work shows!

Thanks brotha! I can't believe its been four years already. I'm a procrastinator for sure! ;)

That looks great, now go get an alignment. Well done,

Well, it's about time. :p:

The truck looks great, but wow, I have to say it's good hearing from you after all this time. :thumbsup:

Don't change the stock wheels, they look great in there.

It looks fantastic! I love everything you did to it except for the white center posts.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:

Seeing those pics puts a smile on my face. Man these trucks look so good in lowered street form. Are those thunderbird wheels?

I am still working out how to do the black headlights btw. I am having issues with the corner lights. I guess the main issue is the fact that my mom would kill me if I put plastic lenses in her oven. haha I definitely need to get my own place now.

Well, it's about time. :p:

The truck looks great, but wow, I have to say it's good hearing from you after all this time. :thumbsup:

Don't change the stock wheels, they look great in there.

Hey...I'm assuming you changed your name? Looks like you've been busy with the powdercoating. I remember the last time I spoke to you, you were just starting out. Awesome work BTW!

It looks fantastic! I love everything you did to it except for the white center posts.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Are you talking about the grill? If so, it's still chrome, the crappy cell phone pics are probably throwing it off. :)

Seeing those pics puts a smile on my face. Man these trucks look so good in lowered street form. Are those thunderbird wheels?

I am still working out how to do the black headlights btw. I am having issues with the corner lights. I guess the main issue is the fact that my mom would kill me if I put plastic lenses in her oven. haha I definitely need to get my own place now.

I too really like how explorers and mountys in general look lowered but then again, I love the offroad look as well. The wheels are Gen 2 explorer wheels that were chrome plated. Nothing too fancy, just something different, plus they were cheap :thumbsup:

hehe, don't worry about the oven, little burning plastic never hurt nobody :D I had the most problems with the corners. I actually melted one of them because I had it in just a tad too long. Ahh well, $30 mistake.. I moved out of my mom's place about 6 years ago. At the time it was the best thing that ever happened. Now after 6 years of rent, and everything else, I miss the days shacking up with Mom.. heh

Great thread! Would like to see some chrome 18" Saleen wheels on it tho, think that'd finish off the look
8.jpg

Nah- I dig the chrome 1st gen wheels- nice twist on stockers! Truck looks incredible...

Didnt like White and Didnt like 1st Gen wheels...

Until Now! Nice Work!! Looks phenomenal!!

How about some updated pics of the truck? What wheels are you putting on it now?

Back