How to: - Second Gen Snorkel Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Second Gen Snorkel Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
So, being a teacher, I have the summers off, and I got bored last week and I did the one thing most sane people do...I decided to put a snorkel on my truck. That led me to this site where I did some research...found some pics of the other snorkel's that have been made, and basically coppied what they had done. I also ordered an arb snorkel top from here. I bought the 3" version. To go along with this I picked up some 2.5" pvc, a 45 degree bend, some pvc glue, silicone, black spray paint, and some door trim. After I got the fender off it was time to get workin...took alot of time just looking at it and trying to picture where things were going.
snk1.JPG

from there I removed all the factory intake crap...before intering the air box, the air is squeezed through about a 1.5" hole...so this snorkel has to flow better, at least thats what I am telling myself :D Also you have to beat the crap out of the inner fender to make room for the pipe. Then its time to start cutting and glueing:D
snk3.JPG

as you can see it used a little heat to bend the pipe a bit....a 45 degree bend prob would agve worked, but I didnt want to go back to the parts store, plus no one can see it.
snk6.JPG

after you get that far its time to start cutting the fender, measure and cut a little, dont want to cut to much. I used the door frame edge guard to cover the chop lines up. I also had to relocate the antenna down the fender some.
snk21.JPG

snk24.JPG

snk25.JPG

snk26.JPG

snk28.JPG

well thats about all for that....there are some more detailed pics here in my snorkel install gallery...hope this helps someone wanting to do this but not knowing where to start....

gallery http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3631&ppuser=18333

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So september is still a ways away. What's going to happen next? :D

Looks good.

haha not sure.....my fiance will kill me if much more money goes into this truck though :D I really gotta find something to keep me occupied while she is at work..... Thanks...:D

So, being a teacher, I have the summers off, and I got bored last week and I did the one thing most sane people do...I decided to put a snorkel on my truck.

This sounds way better than teaching summer school. Good work Dustin. :salute:

haha not sure.....my fiance will kill me if much more money goes into this truck though :D I really gotta find something to keep me occupied while she is at work..... Thanks...:D

welp...looks like I might be picking up a set of cheep 33's tomorrow...I might have to take her out to dinner to make up for that:D

as for summer school...they usually dont offer art for summer school, or else I would....:D

I wish my teachers were like you..
I keep wanting to put a snorkle on my truck but i know what is going to happen. it's called the explorer going down periscope and me ending up with mud and lake soaked leather interior, nevermind my audio system being wrecked

looks cool, i might try it.
thanx

How is it working out for you? Do you think it's working as a Cold Air Intake as well?

seems to work great for me....no real disadvantages as far as air flow is concerned, plus it looks cool :)...havent had it in the water yet, but lets hope I never really need it ;)

that looks bad ass!

Im hoping to start mine this weekend.
Do you find it vibrates much when your out bush bashing???
I think it looks great i cant wait to do mine.

if you look at the pics, I have the pvc secured to the inner fender in a couple spots, it seems very secure, no vibrations, but I am sure If it came up against a good tree or rock ledge it might not fair so well, thats why I tried to run it as close to the window frame as possable.

i am going to do this snorkel soon. i was just wondering where you got the top to the snorkel and how much it cost you?

any other pointers would be great too thanks

i am going to do this snorkel soon. i was just wondering where you got the top to the snorkel and how much it cost you?

any other pointers would be great too thanks

since reading seems to be so over rated...i mentioned in the first paragraph where I got the arb top at, and even provided a link for you to follow

I also ordered an arb snorkel top from here. I bought the 3" version. To go along with this I picked up some 2.5" pvc, a 45 degree bend, some pvc glue, silicone, black spray paint, and some door trim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back