Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

V8 boat builder, thanks SO much for all the help!!! Ill post results later...if U all even care looks like this thread is so old!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course we care. Keep adding to the thread, its very informative and has helped quite a few people with this addition.

Thanks!!

Let us know how everything goes.

I agree with this being a very informative thread, and I'm interested in the long-term results of these added filters. Since I have the better micro-felt filter in mine already, I haven't done this mod yet, but I'm still considering it.....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I agree with this being a very informative thread, and I'm interested in the long-term results of these added filters. Since I have the better micro-felt filter in mine already, I haven't done this mod yet, but I'm still considering it.....

I would advise changing the mirco felt filter sooner rather than later. Seem it traps more of the band dust, and could restrict flow. Passed on to me by a trans guy. It would make some sense to change the micro felt after it was installed relatively soon say 5000 miles, and then extend the interval. The addition of the external shouldnt be thought of as a replacement for the internal filter, rather an addition to the internal filter.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:

I would do it my friend...Only because Explorer transmissions arent the best in the world....

I finally pulled mine off the 97. I had a leak and it was the expedient thing to do. Was cleaning up a really dirty transmision, but after cutting open a couple filters never found anything I could really point to. This despite pulling lots of stuff off the additional magnets in several pan drops. Liked it mostly for the extra quart it added. Even the Microfelt was still pretty clean after 40K. I'll be getting a used F-150 soon and will install it there.

would advise changing the mirco felt filter sooner rather than later.
Thanks guys, that's good advice. I did change the Microfelt last summer at about 42K miles. Like Opera House's, it was very clean. The pan only had a slight gray film on the bottom, along with the magnet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed......

One mod I have added is a heat shield between the catalytic converter and transmission. I haven't done temperature checks with it on, but I'm sure it's keeping some heat from the trans. On my 2000, the cat is located just a few inches from the trans servos.

I just got through putting on my 4th filter on my secondary filter kit. Changed original one(FL1A) at 150 miles to the perma-cool one(81043). Last week changed my engine oil to synthetic from blend and decided to change the secondary remote filter so it is easier to keep track of. I bought a Mobil one filter for the engine and told them(autozone) that I also wanted a short version of the oil filter. They gave me a Mobil one M1-204. I did all of this just before leaving on a 2 hour trip out of town. Noticed it shifting different right away but still left town. Later on in trip noticed it seemed to be slipping really bad. Got home and checked fluid, said it was overfull on the dipstick and the tranny fluid was burned. Pulled off mobil one filter, put an empty FL-1A on and test drove. It is back to shifting very smooth now and was actually a little more than a half of a quart low, not overfilled. It appears that the tranny fluid was not circulating through the mobil one filter or barely at all. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

I installed mine quite a while ago. Got an Autometer gauge and extra cooler at the same time. Dropped the pan and replaced the filter. I have nothing but good things to say. Changed it awhile ago. I'm just going to change it now whenever I change my oil. Fluid runs cool, although it was quite hot out the other day and I got it up to 195*. Quickly came back down to 150* where it normally runs at. I recomend this to anyone!! The gauge it a good addition and I have it mounted in the steering colum mount for an F-150. Slides right on!

I would still recommend them also, just wondering if anyone had problems with certain filters.

Expodriver said:
I just got through putting on my 4th filter on my secondary filter kit. Changed original one(FL1A) at 150 miles to the perma-cool one(81043). Last week changed my engine oil to synthetic from blend and decided to change the secondary remote filter so it is easier to keep track of. I bought a Mobil one filter for the engine and told them(autozone) that I also wanted a short version of the oil filter. They gave me a Mobil one M1-204. I did all of this just before leaving on a 2 hour trip out of town. Noticed it shifting different right away but still left town. Later on in trip noticed it seemed to be slipping really bad. Got home and checked fluid, said it was overfull on the dipstick and the tranny fluid was burned. Pulled off mobil one filter, put an empty FL-1A on and test drove. It is back to shifting very smooth now and was actually a little more than a half of a quart low, not overfilled. It appears that the tranny fluid was not circulating through the mobil one filter or barely at all. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

Sounds like the Mobil 1 filter has a check valve and perhaps your lines/flow is reversed. Very bad...

I'm running a cheap penzoil filter on mine right now, but may change. I'm not concerned about a drainback valve, as the filter is vertical.

Expodriver: I'd say your lines are reversed.

Hank said:
Sounds like the Mobil 1 filter has a check valve and perhaps your lines/flow is reversed. Very bad...

I have used Mobil 1 filters on mine with no problems; doubt that is the problem.

Check the kines as Hank said.

I doublechecked and my lines are hooked correctly. I pulled the IN line from the aux. cooler and that is going to the in on the filter. The out on the filter goes to the in on the aux. cooler. The out from the aux cooler was left alone and still goes back to tranny. Shifts fine with motorcraft filter.

I still say your lines on the filter assembly are backwards. That or you got a massive defective Mobil one filter.

Pull off the filter, unplug the wires from the coil and crank it. Have someone watch what hole the red stuff comes out of.

Expodriver said:
I doublechecked and my lines are hooked correctly. I pulled the IN line from the aux. cooler and that is going to the in on the filter. The out on the filter goes to the in on the aux. cooler. The out from the aux cooler was left alone and still goes back to tranny. Shifts fine with motorcraft filter.

I have the same engine and tranny as you. I actually traced the lines back to the tranny to make sure I hooked the external filter up correctly. Mine has worked fine for more than a year so I think it is hooked up properly. You may want to double check one more time.

Here's a description of the circuit and how mine is installed:

The lower line from the tranny goes to the upper side of the radiator.

The line from the bottom of the radiator (which used to run directly to the left side of aux cooler as you look towards the front of the truck) now goes to the 'in' on the external filter.

The line from 'out' of the external filter now goes to the the left side of the aux cooler as you look toward the front of the truck.

To complete the circuit, the line from the right side (as you look toward the front of the truck) of the aux cooler returns to the upper part of the tranny.

If you have it installed this way then I'd guess that your Mobil One filter was bad....seems unlikely though.

Just a side note. You don't mention where your external is installed but mine is mounted horizontally in the front passenger side wheel well like many others have done. I use only Puralotor PureOne filters (model PL30001) for the external tranny filter. They are bluish/purple in color and are a lot less inconspicious than others, especially the Motorcraft white colored FL1A. While it is a full sized filter, there is no clearence problems at all with turning the wheels and I have never had a problem with them.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Thank you for all the help and suggestions guys, I do appreciate it. It will be a few days before I can double check the flow like Hank said, my wife works days and I work evenings, most of my neighbors work days also. I have mounted mine directly behind the bumper directly behind my license plate. It is just to the side and in front of the aux. cooler. The FL1A does spill a minimal amount when changing the filter but I always put a piece of cardboard to catch the drips. When I used the permacool filter 81043, it was a short one and I did not even have to tip it. I take the filters out through the bottom hole in the bumper valance. THanks for the help again.

I pulled the filter yesterday and had my wife start the engine briefly. Fluid flows out the port that is towards the edge of the filter mount, not the center port. That should be the correct flow. I haven't had any problems with any filters except the Mobil1 filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Expodriver, was your trouble indeed caused by a bad Mobil1 filter?

It's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, and I was wondering how the external trans filter set-ups were holding up.....?

Back