Securicode not working/lighting up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Securicode not working/lighting up

RuzzMan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Curious, anyone have to tap the digital keypad multiple times and wait sometimes 5-10 seconds for the keypad to light up on their 2020 Explorer? My 2017 escape had no issues and would activate right away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, normally I do a swipe down the keypad then just enter the 5 digit code.

Yes, I've had a good 10 second delay happen.

I am experiencing a similar issue, but sometimes it's more than just a delay. Sometimes it will not respond at all. Seems to be more of an issue if the vehicle has been sitting overnight. I'm curious how many others have this issue, or what the strategy is to get it to respond.

I’m looking to find out what’s wrong with the securicode touch pad on my 21 Explorer. When I went to use the securicode today, to open the doors bc I left the keys inside the house, the panel wouldn’t light up. But when I do open the doors with the keys, the panel does light up. Anyone having this issue/know a fix?

Thanks!

Generally running your finger on the area where the panel is will cause it to light up. I would think it's a warranty issue if it's not working.

TBill

Generally running your finger on the area where the panel is will cause it to light up. I would think it's a warranty issue if it's not working.

TBill
Yeah, I tapped on it multiple times and in different areas but it wouldn’t light up. If I were to unlock the door with the key fob and open the door then it lights up.

Yeah, I tapped on it multiple times and in different areas but it wouldn’t light up. If I were to unlock the door with the key fob and open the door then it lights up.
A tap won't suffice with mine. A good vertical swipe like on an iPad will work almost every time.

This what the Manual says;
"The keypad is near the driver window. It
illuminates when touched."

Like some electronic features, sometimes results differ. ;)

Peter

Mine has a hard time turning on if the outside temperature is hot (90 or above) or if I've just come from the gym for some reason (hot fingers?).

I'm wondering if it has something to do with temperature differential. You'd think it would simply be capacitive.

Mine has a hard time turning on if the outside temperature is hot (90 or above) or if I've just come from the gym for some reason (hot fingers?).

I'm wondering if it has something to do with temperature differential. You'd think it would simply be capacitive.
I wouldn't think it's capacitive. That would make it work unreliably if it was raining outside. I'm betting it's resistive. Would love to see one torn apart to find out for sure.

Next time try just swiping your hand down the panel (top to bottom) and see if there is any difference.

Peter
It works sometimes. I'll keep messing with it to see if I can find a pattern.

I am experiencing a similar issue, but sometimes it's more than just a delay. Sometimes it will not respond at all. Seems to be more of an issue if the vehicle has been sitting overnight. I'm curious how many others have this issue, or what the strategy is to get it to respond.
I have the same issue as you, sometimes it does not respond at all. This sounds ridiculous but when it does not work I lick my finger and then try.. it works. Mine is a 21. Previous Fords never had an issue. Not to worried about though as usually the key is close enough

I have the same issue as you, sometimes it does not respond at all. This sounds ridiculous but when it does not work I lick my finger and then try.. it works. Mine is a 21. Previous Fords never had an issue. Not to worried about though as usually the key is close enough
Man, I hate to admit this, but I'll be licking my finger from now on too. Let's just hope we've washed our hands when we're locked out of our cars.

Great suggestion though... makes sense that it would work with it being capacitive.

Man, I hate to admit this, but I'll be licking my finger from now on too. Let's just hope we've washed our hands when we're locked out of our cars.

Great suggestion though... makes sense that it would work with it being capacitive.
It is supposed to work even with gloves on.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back