• Register Today It's free!

Shackles dont work!!

Defcon x Zero

Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie 4x4
ok so i bought these new shackles to put on to get "two inches of lift". i put one on, and that side actually became lower. once i looked at it i realized thats what should have happened. i dont see how bigger shackles can lift the truck, when it just gives more room for the leaf springs to stretch out flat, which is exacltly what happened.
DSCN6018.jpg

DSCN6017.jpg

i kind of think its because the springs are two weak, and i need new springs.. maybe longer springs? with more bow? i have no idea i am stumped i really thought shackles would lift the truck, not lower it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shackles do lift the truck. In your pix, you only have one new shackle on. Put 'em both on before you say they don't work. You still have a sway bar back there that will be fighting a single shackle because of the twist. Shackles will raise the vehicle approximately 1/2 the difference between the length of the old shackle and the length of the new shackle. I.E., if your new shackles are 4" longer than the old shackles, then the truck will be raised about 2".

I found this great site which gives you everything you need to know in lifting a truck, basically you need longer lower control arms, and longer shocks, you'll also need to lengthen the front and rear brake lines.

for medium-Sized Lift:
You might choose the middle-of-the-road option if you want the best tire clearance, yet you don't do a lot of extreme offroading.

The medium-sized option typically consists of spacer and add-a-leaf (AAL) lifts; get the full-length ones. These kits often come with new shocks too. 2" is the most common "medium lift"

for just A Little Lift:
If you want just a little more clearance under the transfer case, or a little more room to run 30x9.5's, then a small lift is the way to go.

Typically, this type of lift will consist of coil spacers in front with long shackles in the rear. You could go with blocks in the rear IF you have new or strong springs. 1.5" is the most common "small lift"

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/suspensionbodyliftkits/a/body_lift_kits.htm

hope this helps

I found this great site which gives you everything you need to know in lifting a truck, basically you need longer lower control arms, and longer shocks, you'll also need to lengthen the front and rear brake lines.

for medium-Sized Lift:
You might choose the middle-of-the-road option if you want the best tire clearance, yet you don't do a lot of extreme offroading.

The medium-sized option typically consists of spacer and add-a-leaf (AAL) lifts; get the full-length ones. These kits often come with new shocks too. 2" is the most common "medium lift"

for just A Little Lift:
If you want just a little more clearance under the transfer case, or a little more room to run 30x9.5's, then a small lift is the way to go.

Typically, this type of lift will consist of coil spacers in front with long shackles in the rear. You could go with blocks in the rear IF you have new or strong springs. 1.5" is the most common "small lift"

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/suspensionbodyliftkits/a/body_lift_kits.htm

hope this helps

No offense, but dont be giving out that advice to often. Seems like you need to read a little more before you offer help to others. Alot of that doesn't have anything to do with explorers, or with what his question was.

As the others said, put both on and then see what happens.

X 2 ^^^^ plus just think about it for a minute...what do you think would flex more??? new stiff springs or old soft springs???...if you do both your shackles first you will find your answer...before you go to aal's remember they are stiff as heck, they will give you lift, and you will loose some flex...;)

ok ill do the other side, even though the side that i put on the new shackle is lower... tbars, i didnt understand what you said...

lol, just get both your shackles on first...:) and then you can tell me which part you don't understand...

Shackles do indeed work. Take my before and after shown below. You can see it did indeed lower or flatten the leaf spring, but it also raised the truck. You can tell the back is higher and the truck is sloping towards the front.

Did you take measurements, or before and after pictures? That's the only way to tell - I did both. Got just under 2'' in the back after measuring.

ShacklesBA.jpg

you can see my springs are old and worn. the question is, are they old and worn enough that longer shackles will lover the back of the truck overall? because thats what it seems like is happening. tomorow i will install the other shackle on the other side and see what happens. so far its boggling my mind how shackles lift a truck. it even says in an engineering machine design book i was looking at that when you add to the length of the spring(which basically what a longer shackle does by giving it more room to stretch), it decreases the bow of the spring. now we dont need a book to tell us this, since its obvious, but it seems that the lifted flat spring is lower than the lowerd arc. so again how would adding the other shackle raise the truck.??

did you see paraphoe's pics??? :scratch:

i dont see how you think they cant work.......they have worked for everyone else...1000's of people......and for some reason they dont work for you????..and everyones springs are worn out...i know mine are, i have the negative arch to prove it..haha

by "lowering" the back shackleit in effect forces the axle down which in turn raisies the height of the truck.

I understand what you're saying, it doesn't SEEM like they would work - but the bottom line is the springs bend to the point where it's easier for the truck body to rise than the spring to bend any further. And voila, it rises.

I'd be very interested in you taking a picture from the rear of your truck with one lift shackle installed to compare the left and the right - I refuse to believe that the lift shackle side can be, or will be lower.

...(which basically what a longer shackle does by giving it more room to stretch)....

Wrong...a longer shackle does not do that...it moves the mounting point in space. You need to spend a little more time in physics class....:rolleyes: The truck doesn't weigh anymore, so how can it compress the spring farther?

Take it from an engineer..they work. Install both and you will see...

For some reason, the warrior shackles always spark this debate. Having used them, installed them, measured them, etc. etc. they DO in fact lift the truck about 1.5 inches (the WAR153's anyway). You'll get less lift with a loaded-up 4-door which is heavier in the rear, and possibly 1.75 inches in the rear with a unloaded 2-door. As for the springs, the longer shackle DOES "flatten" them SOME, by moving the rear of the spring down, BUT it's only half an inch or less, depending on the springs, even though it looks like more. Mostly it's a visual thing from having the once-tucked-away leaf and shackle which curved up to the rear bumper now sticking out from the rear tire and bumper out into space.

Before
2561851_5_full.jpg

After
2561851_10_full.jpg

See they even work on mono-leafs.

Trust us, shackles work. ;)

Shackles save lives!

not really but they save money.

and they certainly do work.

i didnt know they made mono leafs... is it aftermarket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, stock on all the 2nd gen sports.......unfortunately. :(

haha

Back