10psi Tuning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10psi Tuning

Started tuning for 10psi this weekend and ran into problems. The tranny. So I have contacted the tranny builder and lit a fire under them. Oh well. I cant complain got 158K on this tranny. This thing really put me back once the boost started building. WOW really impressive. Tranny won't slip on 6# but 10# is another story........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear you are pushing further James. An increase of 4 psi on your turbo will be a big increase! You will be having some good fun this season. :thumbsup:

Rocket- this truck felt awesome. I get the opportunity to ride in alot of Mustangs & Cobra's in my side business(as a matter of fact here is a snapshot of the current local work I am doing- I have a 04 Cobra [with a solid axle conversion,catback,offroad H,chip] 98 Cobra drop top [longtubes,offroad H,4:10 gears,SPEC stage2 clutch,C&L cai with 85mm meter with/tuner tube,chip,a 98 Cobra hardtop[tuning], 98 GT[SPEC stage2clutch,tuning], 03 GT [tuning]-cust cars working on in my drive today,which are projects I get to build,tune,test). and I would put my truck up against any stock 03-04 Cobra anyday with the 10psi tuning. I have a REALLY aggressive tune for the 10psi tune and would NEVER send this tune out the door to one of my customers.... Lets just say around 20.5 total degrees timing(on meth) and pump gas but one hiccupp in my meth and a definate boom!!!!!! This engine will be history. But I have always run it really agressive so if I have a injector or meth failure it will be all done. But the track #'s look good. I am going to see how far I can take it. Wish me luck. I am going to need it. But first lets get the tranny from slipping.:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rocket- this truck felt awesome. I get the opportunity to ride in alot of Mustangs & Cobra's in my side business(as a matter of fact here is a snapshot of the current local work I am doing- I have a 04 Cobra [with a solid axle conversion,catback,offroad H,chip] 98 Cobra drop top [longtubes,offroad H,4:10 gears,SPEC stage2 clutch,C&L cai with 85mm meter with/tuner tube,chip,a 98 Cobra hardtop[tuning], 98 GT[SPEC stage2clutch,tuning], 03 GT [tuning]-cust cars working on in my drive today,which are projects I get to build,tune,test). and I would put my truck up against any stock 03-04 Cobra anyday with the 10psi tuning. I have a REALLY aggressive tune for the 10psi tune and would NEVER send this tune out the door to one of my customers.... Lets just say around 20.5 total degrees timing(on meth) and pump gas but one hiccupp in my meth and a definate boom!!!!!! This engine will be history. But I have always run it really agressive so if I have a injector or meth failure it will be all done. But the track #'s look good. I am going to see how far I can take it. Wish me luck. I am going to need it. But first lets get the tranny from slipping.:burnout:

Sounds good man. Yeah, I bet your truck is very solid in the 12's now, which is where the stocker 03/04 Cobra's usually are (high 12's). It will be good to get video of it once you hit the track, or anywhere else.

I hear you on what you would do with yourself and what you send out the door. I am allot more aggressive with my own stuff then with other peoples stuff just because I don't want to risk their stuff. I feel allot better risking my own.

Not to get completely sidelined, but what about using a 4x4 factory trans pan and internal trans filter on your 4x2 trans? While it only adds less than a 1/2 qt to the capacity, is the filter any better? Or just use an external filter?

Aftermarket cast aluminum pans are 3qts deeper, use the 4x4 filter and cost over $230. Sorry, too rich for my blood...

Maybe I'll ask this over on the towing/driveline boards.

I pretty sure there's only one difference with the 4X4 filter; a plastic extension to allow the filter to extend to the bottome of the pan. The parts house gave me the wrong filter when I switched to syn and I just cut the extension off.

The increased capacity could help but I think James needs something a bit stronger.

I still say switch to a built C-4. Gas miliage will suffer but the other options to this point are: Rebuild and prey; Go thru all the testing and modifying of a custom job, and prey; swap in a c-4 and be done with it.

You actually save, if you think about it.

And there's nothing "meaner" than seeing and hearing a low rumble coming from a built exploder going 35 mph on the highway trying to save gas milliage?
hehe

I knew the 5R55E will be an electronic pain to get right. The 5r55s doesn't have a valve body per se and it uses solenoids to control everything. When I say everything I mean everything. Unlike the 5r55e which still has a valve body. Ouch. Maybe a 5.0L swap is in order. I am simmering on this idea!!! Tell me what you guys think. Thanks James:feedback:

I knew the 5R55E will be an electronic pain to get right. The 5r55s doesn't have a valve body per se and it uses solenoids to control everything. When I say everything I mean everything. Unlike the 5r55e which still has a valve body. Ouch. Maybe a 5.0L swap is in order. I am simmering on this idea!!! Tell me what you guys think. Thanks James:feedback:

Modular 4.6 swap... With twin turbos... :D

Jah - I have no idea to be honest. It all sounds pretty tricky to me. However, I'm sure I need to figure out what I want to do because as soon as I rebuild the motor and force feed, I'll run into the same problem.

So, there is no way to build the stock transmission to a level where it can be used?

So, there is no way to build the stock transmission to a level where it can be used?

depends on how much power you are talking.
I vote C4 or built 700R4 (I dont like all the adapting required personally) behind the 6

with the A4LD based units its a crap shoot IMO
The trans is the reason I have a V8

A c-4 is out.... Completely.
I drive 70miles minimum a day and the mileage will kill me. If I were to swap in a 700r4 I would rather go with a 4L65 and have a electronic shift tranny. Has anyone used a aod? I would rather go with a Ford tranny if possible. Removing the trans shift control in the processor won't be a problem because the Explorer came with a standard shift in 1998 so I will just flash the pcm with a manual shift processor tuning and it is that easy. The speedo won't be a problem because the exciter is on the rear. The only other worry is the 700r4 uses a small case and will it hold the hp which I will be throwing at it?

the 700r4 can be built up to take it
AOD is possible with adapters
4r70w with Baumman controller and adapters

Aren't there aftermarket OD units for the C4 available?

By the way can anyone hyperlink the 700r4 adapter to me? Thanks... This is fixing to get real interesting. I really want to run 7's with this six but damn want a v-8 as well.Decisions,decisions!!!!!!!!!!

AdvanceAdapters.com

Darn, after seeing that link 410 posted, I say the GM transmission is the way to go? You're all set-up for the six, I say stay with it.

410 - Thanks for the hope!

For those that are opposed to the C4/C6 swap due to no Overdrive, are you guys aware of GearVendors Overdrive?

I know of guys with ~700hp, 9 and 10 second cars that are DRIVEN to the track!..that run the GVOD. It can make your 3 spd into a 4 to 6 speed transmission. Depending on how you split the gears.

Ryan

Built 700R4 with a full manual valvebody :D. Expensive, yes, but at least it has overdrive. I am happy with mine. If OD doesn't matter then go C4.

How did your swap workout? Is your Ex a 4x4? Exhaust, driveshaft, x-member? And so on. I need to talk to someone with a 4x2 who's done the swap. Currently I am contemplating a 4L60E swap. I would rather have a electronic shift tranny!

Back