Signal Mirror Installation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Signal Mirror Installation

Since their inception, I have been intrigued by mirrors that have embedded turn signal and have wanted a set for my truck. I finally decided to bite the bullet and obtain a set.

There are various types of these devices ranging from the e Bay special external stick-on chevrons to actual replacement glass mirrors. I only wanted the actual replacement glass mirrors; therefore, I ordered a set of non-heated ( this is Florida after all ) signal mirrors from Muth Mirror Systems (Dead Link Removed ) of Sheboygan, WI - kit 200-0037-0. The cost was $219.00. Muth is THE name in signal mirrors.

The kit included both left and right side Signal Mirror® assemblies, wire, connectors,and excellent installation instructions.

After disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery, the initial step in the installation was to remove the inner door panel ( this applies to both sides but I shall only describe the driver’s side ). This followed by removing the speaker; this was required given that I needed to access the wiring harness and power plug ( white one ) for the mirror control which is located behind the speaker. The next step was disconnecting the mirror wire harness inside the door. The mirror housing was detached by removing the 3 nuts ( 11 mm ) and pulling the housing free of the door.

The mirror is attached to it’s housing by a ball socket and is controlled by two small drive pins on the back side. A small pry bar ( 5” ) was used to guardedly extricate the drive pins from the mirror and then the old mirror was lifted off the ball socket. The green friction pins were removed from the old mirror by gently prying and were seated into the new mirror by pressing down with a 10 mm box end wrench.

To get the new wiring for the mirror passed through the housing about 6 inches of the factory wire harness was pulled back into the housing ( this was not an easy task ). The new mirror wire was taped to the harness wire and pulled out of the housing. The connector was plugged into the new mirror and then the mirror was installed in the housing and the housing reinstalled on the door. The wiring harness was threaded down through the door and the mirror control wire plug reconnected. There is a small opening, visible only when a bright flashlight is shined from inside the door jam; this opening was enlarged to accommodate the wire from the mirror. The wiring was routed through this hole and through the rubber grommet into the passenger compartment

The factory wiring, according to the instructions, is located in the threshold area. Finding the correct wires in the mammoth bundle of wires took substantial effort and considerable time ( over 45 futile minutes ); there were just too many wires that looked alike. The driver’s side turn signal wire, green/orange stripe was verified with a test light ( the negative battery terminal was reconnected for this step ). The passenger side turn signal wire, orange/blue stripe was not found.

To keep the frustration level in check, I went to the turn signal wires at both front lights, confirmed the proper wire with the test light, and ran new wire through the firewall to the driver’s side kick panel area. To assure a good ground, I also ran a new ground wire from the battery along with the new signal wires. The red wire from the driver’s side mirror was spliced/soldered and heat shrinked to the new wire from the front driver’s side turn signal ( much easier than splicing into the wire at the bundle ). The black wire was spliced into the new ground wire. Operation of the driver’s side turn signal was confirmed. The door panel was now reinstalled.

This process was repeated for the passenger side mirror. After removing the threshold and kick panel, the wires from the passenger side mirror were fished through the rubber sleeve into the passenger compartment. The wires were then routed and secured under the dash to the previously run new passenger side turn signal wire at the driver’s side kick panel. The red wire from the passenger side mirror was spliced/soldered and heat shrinked to the new signal wire and the black wire spliced to the ground wire. The signal mirror function was proven. The driver’s side threshold and kick panel as well as the passenger side door panel, kick panel and threshold were then reattached.

The installation took about 2 1/2 hours ( including the 45 minutes “wasted” at the wire bundle ).

Muth Mirror Systems also offers a Brake Module for the Turn Signal Mirrors ( Dead Link Removed ) for $39.00. This allows both mirror signals to light up ( constantly ) when the brake is applied. I am considering this feature as a future mod.

Attachments

• signal mirror.jpg
    signal mirror.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,571
  • wire connections.jpg
    wire connections.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,556
  • mirror nuts.jpg
    mirror nuts.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,552

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure looks a lot easier than the Muth mirrors.
I did email them about the warantee, if any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the mirror replacements will swap into a 91-94 Explorer?

I took a quick look at the shape they look dang near the same as far as I can tell.

Check out the Muth MIrrors website or someone who sells the mirrors.

Check out the Muth MIrrors website or someone who sells the mirrors.

I did check and it only list them for 2nd gens and newer.

I justed noticed that the shape is similar to the 91-94's and wondered if they're in fact the same. I'll have to compare for myself.

Signal mirrors

Hi all,

How about the later Exploder/Expedition mirrors- Will they retrofit to the gen2 Ex's? By this, I mean the mirrors woth the turn signals built in-either on the mirror surface or as a lens on the bottom/tip of the assembly..

Thank you,

Phil

don't see the point in these to be honest, you have a big enough flashing light on the back of your truck.. if someone can't see that then they shouldn't be driving..

Si

^^Just another sign of being "cool".^^
I like the look.

blueka,
don't see the point in these to be honest, you have a big enough flashing light on the back of your truck.. if someone can't see that then they shouldn't be driving..

I totally agree that they shouldn't be allowed to drive-but here in the Peoples Republik of CA illegal aliens are allowed to drive. You should see the people that get out and drive once per year--oh look, water...must slow down

I just want to be a bit more visable and have mirrors a bit bigger.

Phil

Does anyone know if the mirror replacements will swap into a 91-94 Explorer?

I took a quick look at the shape they look dang near the same as far as I can tell.

The 95-01 2nd gen. mirrors will bolt into 91-94 1st gen. Explorers, I have 99 Limited mirrors on my 91 and 93 model doors. I highly recommend throwing the 1st gen. mirrors in the trash, they peel and/or fade very fast compared to the 2nd gen. mirrors. Mind the wiring though, puddle mirrors and heated mirrors have more wires, the old connectors may be required. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread092.JPG
    Projectthread092.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 720

oh man...

I totally agree that they shouldn't be allowed to drive-but here in the Peoples Republik of CA illegal aliens are allowed to drive. You should see the people that get out and drive once per year--oh look, water...must slow down

I just want to be a bit more visable and have mirrors a bit bigger.

Phil

illegals can drive here now? legally? what's that got to do with the need for mirror signals? the signals just look good, they might help truckers to see someone changing lanes, but that's about it... i guess if your bulb burned out on the tail, the mirror might be a back up?

there was a truck here earlier with those cheap looking plastic arrows on the mirrors, $50k truck, $15.00 signals, sheesh.

illegals can drive here now? legally? what's that got to do with the need for mirror signals? the signals just look good, they might help truckers to see someone changing lanes, but that's about it... i guess if your bulb burned out on the tail, the mirror might be a back up?

there was a truck here earlier with those cheap looking plastic arrows on the mirrors, $50k truck, $15.00 signals, sheesh.

HMMMM just aint right

Phil

Ok, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove the glass from the mirror? I have tried all the steps outlined in other posts but have failed each time. Am I doing something wrong here.

Back