SMORR October 2009 lets set this up | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SMORR October 2009 lets set this up

Now I don’t have to haul a bunch of firewood, I just have to bring the chainsaw, fuel and bar oil. I may leave work Friday a little earlier so I can scrape together some from their land. Let’s just hope it’s dry.

On a different note, and after a lot of searching, I still have the dilemma of the install of front tow hooks. I was a Pick n Pull today and grabbed a gas tank skid plate and three different types of tow hooks from various SUV's. The problem is my front beauty fascia/ bumper will not let any of them attach strong enough without doing some trimming to the current bumper. I don't want to chop up my current bumper, now comes the funny part. I want to remove my bumper and replace it with a 2"x 10" pc of wood. I could also double the 2" x 10" for a total of 3 1/4" x 10". This would solve my issue of not having to chop up my current bumper. This would allow me to actually mount the tow hooks to the bottom of the frame for a secure mount for the tow hook. I could still add some lights to the top of the wood powered from my original fog light harness. It would eliminate the wife kicking my arse if I damaged the front bumper while wheeling. I am happily married and aim to keep it that way. My intuition tells me something would happen to the bumper, and then I could just put it back on when I got back from the weekend.

Now the only question is what should I enscribe on the front of the new bumper.

GOT WOOD ? or EXPLORER 4X4.com

Feedback Please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Careful with that wood bumper. It might get used for roasting marshmallows..lol

For a weekend of wheeling, its not that crazy of an idea. But you do realize things can & do happen while off roading thru the woods right? I have got some new pinstripes and a couple of good scratches from this park. I don't mind it, but if your worried about cosmetic stuff, your going to have to be ULTRA careful.

The scuffs and scrapes I can deal with, but since I don't even have TT or shackles yet. I want to have as much front clearance as I can get. My bumper/fascia shouldn't be my limiting factor.

I should be able to get dry pine and maple scraps, not firewood, but dimensional lumber from my work to start a fire. Don't worry nothing will be pressure treated. We have a lot of old skids also I could tear apart for kindling. In case that all the wood there is wet.

It looks like I will be painting the new house, while you all are having fun. What fun it will be watching paint dry:thumbdwn::(

10 days left!!! I cant believe its already this close!

Hope all of you have a blast!!! I will be working on Dr. Jack. As much as I would of liked to been there to meet people and see the ones from Moab and Ouray, I will be involve in the sweet deal and do I mean sweet!!! Don't want to push my luck on the rig I just got, gonna check the operation of it here around the Fort Hood trails if I can. Be cool and have a blast!!!

HMM, figured that might happen UncleMike -but i would be doing the same, getting my baby rockin and rollin!
-Update gonna break out some new mods and tires :) on the explorer at Smorr surprise /surprise

My friend Cliff with his Green explorer may be coming also, Just ordered few parts off Ebay hope they make it in -in time, pretty excited to see what I can do with 37s and hopefully not tear up anything.

what!! why! what can we do to make it happen for friday and sat night!

Its good to see that i wont be the only one out there with a near stock rig. On a side note, i do not have a cb radio so my communication with the rest of the group will be limited to yelling, as i seem to remember i had no cell phone reception last time i was out there. Also I will only be able to be out there on Saturday, anyone want to advise me on a good time to be there? I can be there early Saturday morning or around noon, not sure when a good time would be to show up. If you see me driving around like an idiot just yell/honk at me. Ill be in this...

Picture021.jpg

You really should have a cb you can get one at walmart or radioshack pretty cheap.

What price range is cheap and what is the difficulty of installation? Just running a power wire into the cab and one wire out of cab for antenna?

$40 for a cheap Midland at Wally world. $20 for a Mag mount Antenna. Craigs list might have some on for cheap. The Cobra's are a nice CB unit.

You can hook it up using the power wire from the 12v outlet in the console, ground it to one of the bolts under the console as well.

I attached mine to the underside console lid. Some remove the change holder, and slip it in it's place.

There are a bunch of threads on a cb install. Search and be happy :)

Hope to get my explorer ready today getting ready to start wrenching in a minute, needs little more lift in front to clear new tires better, might do litttle modification to the lower fender with a hammer? lol not sure yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back