SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread)

Jay neglects to mention that Chris and I christened his little beast with a new name on this run:

Jay likes chipmunks. In a way that no one should EVER like chipmunks. So his truck's name is now "MUNK"

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i knew youd bring it up sooner than later, wouldnt want to deprive you of the fun

Had some fun with the Mig today and got the tire carrier back in one piece... added soem stifiners to it this time, so hopefully it wont crack like that agina. turns out the crack was where i v-noched the tube, then welded a filler in to get the bend. split the filler piece

think its gonna make the trip to carlisle pretty much as is, theres no way in hell im getin the x-mamber replaced in the next few weeks. gonna maby try and bend it back a bit, but well see

alright, so we had a little "WHOOPS" this past weekend, and now i have a bunch of stuff that needs atending to

other than that she wheeled great though!

the ecu was fried and i had to get home on a borowed one (thanks micah :D) and everything imaginable and then some took on water

Last night i hosed the truck down and out trying to get rid of some of the smell. still i seem to have only scratched the surface on the gunk in some places though

today she got pulled into the garage and set up on stands, where shes gonna be for a bit

drained the oil, trans, etc... was told that my trans fluid resembled strawberry yoohoo, but i dont think it was anywhere near as appetizing

it turns out that i bent the RA X-member back far enough that the pan has no way in hell to fit between it and the trans x-member, had to pull the filter with the pan still mostly up and full to get it the room it needed, not fun

the interior got a whole bottle of febreeze and a pack of little pine trees to hopefully help that mess... i for see seat covers in my future.

the tank will come down by the end of the week to make sure theres nothin i dont want in there, and ill fix the fuel gauge issue before she goes up

i got a bunch of electrical demons to attend to as well, what i know of right now is no blinkers (yet i have hazards?), wipers wont turn off, both rear windows inop, door lock problems on the l/r... and thats all ive uncovered in the last 2 days... it behaved much better on the way home, when the only thing not workin was the wipers and l/r window

while were down i m going to pull the front beam, fix the x-member, fix the front diff leak thats getin way out of hand, and i think ive put off brakes on that end for long enough

rears gonna get a nother set of newer springs plus an aal, ive had ppl back here who havent seen the truck in a bit comenting on how low the rear sits.
i may just have to go non open before the axle goes back in, but im not sure if my credit card loves me enough for that

had a couple of casualties in the truck as well, lost the cb, i think my dremels toast (why the hell did i leave that back there?) and i know the angle grinder took on water but im letin it dry before i try that (but i have a sick return policy on that if it does go) and one copy of wicked that didnt belong to me. somehow my phone, keys (focus's fob) wallet, camera, and radar detector made it out unscathed

im gonna hate having her down for a bit during the summer, but she needs a bit of tlc at the moment.
its gonna take me longer than im gonna hope for as i start my 2nd job this weekend... so times gonna become rough

anyway, thats all for now

You forget to mention that you annihilated my 400 watt inverter :p: It's okay though... gives me an excuse to get that 1200 watt one I've always wanted :D

Did you check the GEM module? I'd be willing to bet money that that's where your electrical gremlins are hanging out. Try pulling it and cleaning it with rubbing alcohol or electrical cleaner first. You still want to do a junkyard run, maybe next weekend?

and by gem you mean? so obviously thats a no...

with the blinkers i think the flashers fried, still has moisture in it....

ya i need a compy and a cross member from the yard

i was thinking the 22nd would be good, i got somewhere to go the 21st (theres a b-day for darby the deaf doberman at popcorn park if anyones interested in playing with some needy dogs) an i know u have to work that day anyway... imma try and steal dads van for the day if we go

got trees?
gottrees.jpg

I don't think you have enough..

Learn to deal with the stink, bud.... I cut Morgan's moldy carpet out two months ago and yet he still smells like an old trash can :( :fart:

IMG_3997.jpg

i be misin a bunch of somethings... got the rear out, broke my socket on the ramaining spring bolt, so thats still in there, and i broke both brake lines, wich were prolly about to start leeking anyway... droped the tank, found a pinhole leak on the return fiting to the sender, also found that my float just dont float no more... finally got the damn fuel filter changed, set about draining the t-case and thats about when the cops showed up.... something about the neighbors complaining about a gas smell....:eek:

dude was cool about it, as was the woman who complained, and the guy who lives above my garage, so its cool
brought a close to my night though

wanted to get the front out tonight too, and was prepared to all nighter it if i had to, but oh well

this week im gonna install a drain plug in the trans pan, gotta head to my old mans to braze it in ther. dunno if ill get much else done though, as i start the other job tuesday

this week im gonna install a drain plug in the trans pan, gotta head to my old mans to braze it in ther.

I put mine towards the rear of the pan on the flat part, its not at the lowest spot but its well out of harms way there. I figure it will get most of the crap out , and make it so I can drop the pan without getting a shower.

still need a comp? i have one out of my 94 as well as other stuff

yes i do, but your 94 has a different emissions set up

im still in need of a radius arm cross member as well as some other stuff though

Hey Jay if you need a computer lemme know. I pulled one out of a '91 Explorer last year from the junkyard but never used it (buddy needed it). It's the one behind the passenger side front kick panel. It's yours for free just pay the shipping. :D

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhautpmann

yes i do, but your 94 has a different emissions set up

im still in need of a radius arm cross member as well as some other stuff though

thought urs had a 94 motor pm me for other parts...

thought urs had a 94 motor pm me for other parts...

i used the long block form the 94 and then put all the 91 emission stuff on it to keep it simpler

I've been checking this thread periodically for some time now. Nice rig Surreal! It's nice to see a fellow NJ offroader with a badass looking Ex.

I've got two questions for you though:

1)How many cans of that Krylon Camo did it take to paint your whole truck?
and
2) What kind of snorkel top is that, and where the hell did you find one in NJ?

Keep up the good work!

thanks man.

it took something to the tune of 20 cans or so. i bought 2 cases (12) of OD and i case (6) each of black and brown

snorkle top is an ARB that i ordered on line, they just had the replacement heads, so it cost me $30 at the time. i dont remember where though, as i bought the head way before i built the snorkle, but i think i found it via searching on google

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back