SOHC turbo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC turbo

IMAGE_063.jpg
IMAGE_064.jpg

Going in my 96 in place of the ohv, Using the same hot side as the old motor 4.0 OHV.
:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on the TURBO SOHC SWAP

From this:

DSCI0012-3.jpg

IMAGE_032.jpg

To this:

IMAGE_087-1.jpg
IMAGE_085.jpg
IMAGE_086.jpg
IMAGE_084.jpg

4.0 ohv turbo to 4.0 SOHC turbo

Threads merged - lets try to keep related topics/subjects in the same thread. Thx

didn't think you could run a blue top for a primary battery..

Blue top is a marine cranking. Had one in my late 351W powered Ski Brendella.-j

Blue top is a marine cranking. Had one in my late 351W powered Ski Brendella.-j

Hmm. possibly you would be the man to talk about for a tune.

so you had a ohv turbocharged. ive been thinkin i want to do that to mine this summer. if you could answer a few questions that would be super cool.

1: how much boost were you running
2: stock internals/compression ratio?
3: intercooler?
4: are you using a MAF and the stock fuel injection computer?

if there is a thread dedicated to this build could you point me to it. thanks

so you had a ohv turbocharged. ive been thinkin i want to do that to mine this summer. if you could answer a few questions that would be super cool.

1: how much boost were you running 10lbs
2: stock internals/compression ratio? Stock Internals & Compression Ratio
3: intercooler? yes
4: are you using a MAF and the stock fuel injection computer? Lightning maf with SCT tuning. Stock Computer

when swapping in the SOHC, where there many changes needed opposed to having the OHV (i.e. motor mounts)? Also, what did you use for a manifold (did you create your own)?

when swapping in the SOHC, where there many changes needed opposed to having the OHV (i.e. motor mounts)? Also, what did you use for a manifold (did you create your own)?

The SOHC swap is a direct bolt in. In my case i used a my stock 96 harness with a few modifications to make it work correctly. The Cam Position sensor had to be relocated to the drivers side valve cover and the coil harness had to be extended to the drivers side. There is alot of information on this site about the swap. My SOHC is out of a 2003 so the intake manifold is different but works fine for my application. I did run into a couple of small things along the way, mostly because my truck is a 5 speed. I had to use a 98+ OHV flywheel on the SOHC to retain my centerforce clutch (OHV). The SOHC is a 8 bolt crank where as the 90-97 OHV are a 6 bolt. The 98-01 OHV are a 8 bolt crankshaft. There are several other small things also...

Your 5 speed held up ok with the turbo on the OHV?

Yes. The M5OD seemed to be fairly strong. I never power shifted it or anything like that though. The biggest problem with the manual + turbo is getting a clutch that will take the power.

did you use the stock radiator? and what electric fan did you go with you don't mind?

did you use the stock radiator? and what electric fan did you go with you don't mind?

Yes, the radiator is stock. Im not sure what the cooling fan is off of, i just went to a local junkyard and looked in their storage shed and found one that fit.

1: how much boost were you running
2: stock internals/compression ratio?
3: intercooler?
4: are you using a MAF and the stock fuel injection computer?

if there is a thread dedicated to this build could you point me to it. thanks
Yes, I had the first STS turbocharged Explorer on these forums or I believe anywhere. Many have successfully installed turbo's in these forums.One thing to note is that a Lightning meter is NOT optimal for a blow thru setup! If you don't get anything correct you need to get the MAF,injectors,fuel pump and tune correct. I would recommend a PMAS meter designed for blow thru setup. I sell them and other vendors sell as well. A minimum 190lph pump and min 42# injectors will be needed.-j

Give me a call and I would like to talk to you about it.

Back